anyone selling a baby car seat & crib?

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I'm looking for a car seat for an 8 month old. I'm in the Sosua area. I could also use a large crib or playpen, as this little angel is about to crawl out of her present digs. Anyone selling? - D

dcareamama

Jul 22, 2004
These things you should buy NEW

Danny W said:
I'm looking for a car seat for an 8 month old. I'm in the Sosua area. I could also use a large crib or playpen, as this little angel is about to crawl out of her present digs. Anyone selling? - D

Danny,

I would highly recommend that you buy these baby items NEW. Why? In terms of cribs, because old cribs can be death traps (spindles that might be too far apart, cutouts in the headboard, and other hazards that could entrap your baby. Another hazard of hand-me down cribs - missing parts and directions. It only takes a missing screw or bolt to make an otherwise safe crib into a death trap. Keep in mind that today's safety regulations are SO specific (like the allowable width for spindles) that you just can't judge a crib's safety with a cursory examination. Same goes for playpens.

If you can find Italian cribs in the D.R., I would nab one right away. They are some the safer ones on the market. Some good brands are Pali and Bonavita. We have a Bonavita Ellyse for our son and have been very pleased with it. American cribs that are excellent are Simmons, Legacy/Childcraft and Stork Craft. Canadian cribs are very, very well made also. You might find American brands in the D.R. more easily than Italian ones.

In terms of car seats, let me reiterate - BUY NEW, BUY NEW. Keep in mind that car seats adhere to very strict federal regulations and they go by weight and height limits. At 8 months, your baby might be ready for a convertible car seat, NOT an infant one. Basically, infant seats can be used with babies up to 20 lbs. The Graco Snugride has been consistently rated one of the best on the market, by the way. Convertible seats can be used for both infants AND older babies up to 40 lbs. Keep in mind that infants should ALWAYS ride rear facing in the middle of the the back seat and older babies ride facing forward. The "rule" for forward facing is that the baby should be a year and at least 20 lbs. However, you should go by the weight and height of your baby and not by your baby's age.

Here are some useful links that I hope will help you:
National Highway TRaffic and Safety Administration
www.nhtsa.dot.gov

www.safekids.org

Car Seat Data is an excellent website also:
www.carseatdata.org

Good luck!

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Thank you for your informative post. Do you have any idea where these items can be bought in Santiago or POP? I have not seen a decent selection anywhere. It seemed to me that since these items are grown out of rather quiqkly, some might be for sale used. I'm only in the DR for a few days at a time, so I'd like to pick them up quickly for my "Dominican family". It's not the price, it's the availability. - D

dcareamama

Jul 22, 2004
Danny W said:
Thank you for your informative post. Do you have any idea where these items can be bought in Santiago or POP? I have not seen a decent selection anywhere. It seemed to me that since these items are grown out of rather quiqkly, some might be for sale used. I'm only in the DR for a few days at a time, so I'd like to pick them up quickly for my "Dominican family". It's not the price, it's the availability. - D

I can understand about the lack of availability in the D.R. I am in Arlington, VA, so I may not be able to help you on where to buy in Santiago. However, our Santiago guru Hillbilly might be able to help - paging HB, paging, HB. Also, maybe Criss Colon can help as he has a couple of kids and lives in SD. You mention that you're only in the D.R. a couple of days at a time. Are you in the US? If you are, then buy the car seat here and take it there.

Bear in mind that at 8 months your baby will be in a crib and in a convertible car seat for a LONG time. Your child can be in a crib probably until she is two or two and a half. Also, a lot of cribs convert to toddler/day beds so you may even be able to keep her there until she's three or four. A convertible car seat will take you up to 40 lbs. so she will be in it for a long time also and you won't probably need to change her to a booster until she's about four.

Okay, here's another useful link:
http://www.cpsc.gov/

Again, good luck!

gatoazul

Aug 24, 2004
Answering from Santiago

I'm not Hillbilly but I live in Santiago.

There are different places to look at.

Supermercado Pola-La Sirena (Av. Bartolome Colon)
Supermercado Nacional (on the corner of Av. Estrella Sadhala and Av. 27 de febrero)
Pre-Maman (Centro Plaza Internacional, Av. Juan Pablo Duarte)
Tartine et Chocolat (Av. 27 de febrero)

I have not children, so I have no experience with it. Tell me what you need, even names of well known brands and I will find what you need.

rockn2034

Sep 20, 2004
I am selling a car seat.

Danny W said:

I am selling a Britax car seat. It's the Roundabout model. It has two covers so you can wash one and have another to put on. Normally I would tend to agree, buy new, but this carseat is the top of the line, they still sell this model and this one is very good shape. I have used it for about 2 1/2 years, for my little girl. It was originally $260.00. I am asking $75.00 plus whatever shipping is to get it to you.

santanatwins

Jan 20, 2004
Crib info

I recently purchased a crib for my son at supermecado nacional for about 9000 pesos. I have to say it was fairly easy to assemble and it was a descent size crib. My first choice was one that was being offered in La Sirena, but it came assembled and was the floor model. I didn't have the means to transport a huge crib already assembled so I opted for the boxed one from Nacional. My son seems to like it.

As far as car seats, you might be better off buying the 2 in 1 car seat and stroller. It's convinent and also serves as a child eating chair when your in a pinch.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Yeah baby supplies are pretty easy to find in this country, Dominicans are very family-oriented. All of the above mentioned stores are good, I have been doing some browsing since my wife is expecting and the prices seem reasonable even in Nacional, which I generally find expensive.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I bought a good car seat at La Sirena. I'll be checking out Prin(?) and Nacional for a cama-cuna - the kid is 8 months old. Unfortunately I don't have time to shop for price - I just need the best selection. By the way, my sons are grown men, and I'm really enjoying being kind of a grandpa to my novia's daughter. So congrats to all you young parents and parents to be - enjoy it! - D

santanatwins

Jan 20, 2004
Hey Mr.Mike

I think your right about Nacional. I did some shopping there and I thought that on average my bill was a little more than what I would pay compared to La Sirena.

But when it came to the Crib, I actually saved a little since the crib from Nacional included the baby matress and the one from La Sirena didn't. I believe I saved around $1500 pesos buying at Nacional.