Reading car chassis # ?

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I'm buying a new Diahatsu Terios from Peravia Motors in Santiago, however I am in NY and only my girlfriend has seen the car. I am told it is a 2005, and that my metriculation (?) papers will confirm that. However, my girlfriend says that she saw 2003 written on the windshield in white grease pencil. She has never been to car dealer, and can easily be wrong, but I want to be sure. The chasis # is jdaj122g000503612. Doen anyone know how to tell the model year from this number? Thanks - Danny

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Off the topic

Danny W said:
I'm buying a new Diahatsu Terios from Peravia Motors in Santiago, however I am in NY and only my girlfriend has seen the car. I am told it is a 2005, and that my metriculation (?) papers will confirm that. However, my girlfriend says that she saw 2003 written on the windshield in white grease pencil. She has never been to car dealer, and can easily be wrong, but I want to be sure. The chasis # is jdaj122g000503612. Doen anyone know how to tell the model year from this number? Thanks - Danny
Have you test ridden this thing through windy mountain roads?
It's a terrifying experience.
I have never ridden in a SUV that felt so much like it was going to flip over in the corners.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I have not even seen it. From what I've read, and I've read alot, it's and extremenly well engineered car. The engine is also used in the Toyota Echo. It is a very narrow, light car, so it looks like stability might be a little poor, but there are Terios owners groups that do alot of off-roading and seem to love it. Also, I read that they have addressed the roll issue in the new models. At any rate, it's going to be used timidly by my girlfriend, so I think it's going to be fine. My 89 year old mother drives faster than she does. My main concern is that it never break down, and for that reason I wanted a new Japanese car. I live in NY and don't want any phone calls from the side of the road. Marisol does not know where the engine is yet. I'll stop by Rocky's after we pick it up on Friday (I'm coming into Sosua for that and the 1st. day of school at Garden Kids) . After a few drinks I'll admit whether I made a mistake or not. - D

T

TiberiusMineola

Change your mind!! Now!!

Be careful of buying "off" brands in the DR; such as Dhiatsu cars. Trucks by Dhiatsu are a different story. Hyundai?? Kia?? Suggestion: stay with Toyota [the best!!], Honda, Nissan, or Mitsibushi. Why? Parts!! I've been waiting 3 months for a body panel. 8 months for a duplicate remote control for the burglar alarm. 8 Months!! I've owned a Toyota & a Montero here. Parts? Usually available in hours. If your girlfriend has to wait 2 - 4 months for an alternator, she will not be pleased!! In the USA these problems are minimal. Here!! Learn from my mistake.

/signed/ A disappointed but wiser owner of a 2002 Hyundai Terracan [a very nice diesel SUV, except for the parts situation].

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
TiberiusMineola said:
Be careful of buying "off" brands in the DR; such as Dhiatsu cars. Trucks by Dhiatsu are a different story. Hyundai?? Kia?? Suggestion: stay with Toyota [the best!!], Honda, Nissan, or Mitsibushi. Why? Parts!! I've been waiting 3 months for a body panel. 8 months for a duplicate remote control for the burglar alarm. 8 Months!! I've owned a Toyota & a Montero here. Parts? Usually available in hours. If your girlfriend has to wait 2 - 4 months for an alternator, she will not be pleased!! In the USA these problems are minimal. Here!! Learn from my mistake.

/signed/ A disappointed but wiser owner of a 2002 Hyundai Terracan [a very nice diesel SUV, except for the parts situation].

Read his post. The engine in those are from a toyota echo. If it has a toyota engine, I'll bet the most of the other parts are shared across the line with toyota.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Toyota owns Diahatsu, but aside from the engine, I don't know what else they have in common. In most other countries, Toyota and Diahatsu dealers are the same. I believe the factory is in Venezuela, if that helps with parts. I didn't think it was an off brand because my next door neighbor in Sosua has one, and there are several dealers in the DR. Perhaps Marco knows something since he has driven one. I certainly can understand the problem with parts, and I'll investigate some more. But is seems like an excellent car, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than a Toyota. Thanks for the warning. - D

Argo

*** Sin Bin ***
Aug 5, 2004
Danny W said:

jdaj122g000503612.

That vehicle was made in Japan (J)

By Dahiatsu (D)

10th digit denotes year which would appear to be 2000 in this case? That doesn't seem to match with your thoughts, so maybe it is the 14th Digit?

http://www.autoinsurancetips.com/vin.htm