Sosua kids Association Update

richard

Jan 1, 2002
Although education in the DR is both free and compulsory, books, supplies and uniforms which cost approximately 1200-1500 pesos per year are a requirement. That is a hefty amount for poor families. The end result is many children do not attend school. In Sos?a A few years ago a group of ex-pats formed an association to provide those requirements for kids from poor families. There are no administration costs; the association members donate their time and talents so every peso raised goes directly to the children?s education. With money raised strictly from donations, last year the association provided schooling for more than sixty kids. It just keeps growing every year. Each child receives two shirts or blouses, skirts or pants, underwear, socks, shoes, belt and a backpack, even a class photo. Donations can be made at the Britannia Pub on the main street in Sos?a. No one is going to pressure you at the Britannia Pub in fact chances are no one will even mention the association to you, it?s up to you. If you can spare 400-500 pesos that would be wonderful however any donation is gratefully accepted. Please check their web site for more information. This is a way of putting back in to the country that treats us all so well when we visit. Donations may also be made by seeing Harry Pryce at Tradewinds Condos where he is the manager. If you aren't going to Sos?a, you can mail your cheque. Make your cheque out to "Sos?a Kids" All currencies, Euros, U.S. Cdn. gratefully accepted. EPS provides overnight courier service to the DR. No matter the amount big or small, all donations are wonderful and appreciated. A few weeks ago Britannia Airways donated $700.00U.S. This September when school starts there will now be more than 70 kids going to school.
Gracias.

Harry Pryce
C/O Galeria Fuenta
EPS-D 194
P.O. Box 02-5548
Miami, Florida, 33102

Sosua Kids Association

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I'm glad to hear it's still going strong Richard. It's a great cause and helps poor kids to get an early education.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Well done Richard and everyone else helping out.

I will be sure to drop by on my next trip in September or October.

Does it make sense to bring some supplies as well or is it better to buy them there?

richard

Jan 1, 2002
Sosua Kids

Probably it 's better to fill every nook and cranny in your bag although there's no problem buying scribblers etc. in Sosua

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
As a point of fact

I found that notebooks are cheaper in the DR than they are in the States.

I found this out in communications with my daughter.

However, I would imagine that by September places like Sam's Club or some of those large outlets might be having sales....

HB :D

richard

Jan 1, 2002
Sosua Kids

Malibook said:
Well done Richard and everyone else helping out.

I will be sure to drop by on my next trip in September or October.

Does it make sense to bring some supplies as well or is it better to buy them there?

Actually as far as supplies go, I really have no idea what may be needed. If you email Janet Williams, I'm sure she would let everyone know.

janet williams
E-mail Address(es):
j.b.marketing@codetel.net.do

:cool:

richard

Jan 1, 2002
Sosua Kids

I received an email from Barbara Andersen today. Someone who had seen this post donated $100.00U.S. That is so wonderful, I hope others will stop by the Britannia Pub and donate. Of course all donations large or small are most welcome.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
Happy days are here again!

Actually every day is great but today is even better than usual.
Got a raise today and booked my 5th trip to the Dominican.

I am heading down on Oct. 30 until Nov. 7.

I am staying in Playa Dorada but I will be travelling around a lot and I will definately drop by the Britannia Pub for some food and drinks and to donate some cash and supplies for the kids.

I can hardly wait!

Salut everyone.

richard

Jan 1, 2002
Sosua Kids

Malibook said:
Actually every day is great but today is even better than usual.
Got a raise today and booked my 5th trip to the Dominican.

I am heading down on Oct. 30 until Nov. 7.

I am staying in Playa Dorada but I will be travelling around a lot and I will definately drop by the Britannia Pub for some food and drinks and to donate some cash and supplies for the kids.

I can hardly wait!

Salut everyone.

That's wonderful Malibook your donation will be very welcome. :glasses:

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
Dropped by the Brittania Pub on Sunday.

Had a slushy Canadian and made some small donations.
I would normally complain but did not.

It was nice to meet Barbara and Hubby (sorry amigo,I'm bad with hombre names) and contribute to a wonderful cause.

This space baris really pissing me off now.

Adios.

richard

Jan 1, 2002
That's wonderful Malibook. Every donation helps. You know there are no administration costs, every peso, dollar, euro etc. goes directly into helping the kids.
:glasses: