Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Confused

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Confused

[FONT=Arial]undefined[/FONT]

k lo k everyone!
    I just was hoping for a little clarification...what makes someone Dominican? I know that might sound stupid but being born in the US and speaking limited Spanish I am always questioned and ppl are constantly comparing me to other "real" Dominicans they know and they say I don't fit the criteria I feel deprived of some of my culture a bit but does that mean I'm not a "real" Dominican?

cuidate 1

Snap... Arrrrrr!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Here is somthing to ponder.....

Quote Originally Posted by DRzPreciosaNena

k lo k everyone!
    I just was hoping for a little clarification...what makes someone Dominican? I know that might sound stupid but being born in the US and speaking limited Spanish I am always questioned and ppl are constantly comparing me to other "real" Dominicans they know and they say I don't fit the criteria I feel deprived of some of my culture a bit but does that mean I'm not a "real" Dominican?

cuidate 1
    Ive pondered somthing like that before and let me give you my opinion:

If you were born in the US with Dominican born parents and you grew up speaking spanish first and learning all the customs and culture of DR, then there is no reason why you shouldnt be considered a "TRUE" domincan.

Here is a case with one of my friends who is Puerto Rican......(dont worry, im only making a point, it can apply to any nationality, so to the harsh people dont jump on me because i am mentioning PR).......Anywayz, His parents were Puerto Rican and they both sadly died of aids but my friend didnt have it and he has been raised by his grandmother, aunts, uncles in different times and recently during his teem years been living with a friend of his. He doesnt know spanish, he doesnt know the culture that much and has never been to P.R. and we grew up in NYC so he knows the tough ghetto street but still managed to recently graduate HS on time with me.....

..... My point is that i never considered him Puerto Rican that much because he didnt grow up PR. He may look it but he doesnt have any other "characteristics" of it. Thats 1 view.

Another view is lets say there is a Haitian. He is born in Haiti and immediatly moved to DR as a baby. So he grows up "Dominican" and knows spanish and everything else about being from DR. If you were to meet a guy like that, WHAT WOULD YOU CONSIDER HIM? I would have to say Dominican because that is all he knows and thats his mindset.

What would the rest of you consider this man, Dominican or Haitian?

P.S. What would you consider my freind?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DRzPreciosaNena

k lo k everyone!

cuidate 1
    Do you eat Mangu'? Do your feets start moving as soon as you hear a merengue or Bachata? Do you like Baseball? were you born in washington heights? you like Presidente beer, barcelo or mamajuana? and now to confirm that you are a truly DOMINICANA pay attention........breath in...................

THE FIRST THING THAT COMES OUT YOUR MOUTH WHEN YOU ARE AMAZED BY SOMETHING OR SOMEONE IS !OH!, OH! PERO BUENO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

MY DEAR FRIEND CONGRATS YOU ARE A TRUE DOMINICAN....................

REGARDS FROM EL MILLON

Post Thanks / Like

Default It would be interesting to know just "who" says it

I would say that being a "true" Dominican is more of the heart and mind that the accident of birth or language.

There are Dominicana that were born and raised iin Santo Domingo that are more Americanized than Dominicanized! In their parents drive to "make them better" they were sent to English language schools from Kindergarten onwards, they listen only to American/European/Austrailian rock music and thing and dress only like whatever is on MTV. Can they be any less Dominican? Hardly.

YOu, on the other hand, are considering your roots. And you are certainly more Dominican than many that want to add a fašade or a veneer of quasi-americanization to their behaviour.

Just be you.

HB

Snap... Arrrrrr!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ERICKXSON
    Do you eat Mangu'? Do your feets start moving as soon as you hear a merengue or Bachata? Do you like Baseball? were you born in washington heights? you like Presidente beer, barcelo or mamajuana? and now to confirm that you are a truly DOMINICANA pay attention........breath in...................

THE FIRST THING THAT COMES OUT YOUR MOUTH WHEN YOU ARE AMAZED BY SOMETHING OR SOMEONE IS !OH!, OH! PERO BUENO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

REGARDS FROM EL MILLON
    LOL, those are good ways to tell if you are Dominican. Dont forget Platanos and totones. And when you are gossiping with ur girlfriends you start alot of sentences with "Di que". (i think i spelled that right).

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

What your documentation states is what makes you who you are,

What you "feel inside", what you eat, etc. are entirely up to you and make very little difference to anyone else.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ERICKXSON

REGARDS FROM EL MILLON
    No, this would make you a chopa,or a typical dom-york chopa. Don't listen to these foreigners, they only know domincian chopos / chopas.
    If you feel you are dominicans then you are dominican, period. Stop acting like spoiled gringas and mix in with your own people, in the end, your people will back you, not the street hiphop culture. Not all dominicans live in wash. hts and not all listen to bachata, drink mamajuana or eat frituras on the street. Pick the best aspects of both cultures and assimulate it into your personality. You are a dominicana by blood and you should be proud of it. People tell you that you are more gringa is because you probably act like one, so I say, start visiting your country and get to know your own roots. Dominicanas are some of the most sexiest, feminine women in the world.
    AZB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AZB
    No, this would make you a chopa,or a typical dom-york chopa. Don't listen to these foreigners, they only know domincian chopos / chopas.
    If you feel you are dominicans then you are dominican, period. Stop acting like spoiled gringas and mix in with your own people, in the end, your people will back you, not the street hiphop culture. Not all dominicans live in wash. hts and not all listen to bachata, drink mamajuana or eat frituras on the street. Pick the best aspects of both cultures and assimulate it into your personality. You are a dominicana by blood and you should be proud of it. People tell you that you are more gringa is because you probably act like one, so I say, start visiting your country and get to know your own roots. Dominicanas are some of the most sexiest, feminine women in the world.
    AZB

Thank You sooo much AZB! I got scared for a moment.
    I love dancing and I rice, beans, plantains etc but you're right. I feel that I am a "true" Dominican. I guess I'm a preppy, Americanized one but nevertheless a Dominican. It's just hard in the US I'm called oreo n crap but it's ok. thanks all

Post Thanks / Like

Default does it matter?

I know it matters but who are other people to tell you what you are. You are what you consider yourself...and if you consider yourself dominican, then you are...and if you consider yourself american, you can be that too, who said you can't be both....so don't let people tell you who you are, nor put criteria as to what makes you what. A lot of people nowdays can't really classify themselves into one cultural (me included) because of mixing and moving etc. Just be proud to be you and whatever you consider yourself and tell all those people that try to tell you what you are to go ....... themselves.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default i couldnt help but post

in my eyes both vaquita and ABZ are right..but i cant help but add my two cents.

there is no ONE thing that makes you dominican. thats like asking what makes a sunrise in DR so bright and glorious like a pheonix rising up from the ashes...brighter and more fiery and beautiful with each day that passes. its like asking why the stars shine so brightly and the sky looks so immense and like a universe all its own in a campo somewhere far off in the hills where there no electricity..at all. its like asking why juan luis guerra and countless other dominican musicians cant touch the very heart and souls of our ppl. there is no one answer.....i believe anyone can consider themselves dominican...if you love that land like theres no tomorrow...if you can appreciate what can be found there...past the nightclubs, past the prostitution, past the Presidente's and various other liquors and cigars, past the tourist spots. if you can look to the very heart and soul of DR and stand in the middle of one of its fields or forests and witness the glorious environment and lush vegetation and say that you love it ..honestly love, appreciate and cherish it...and miss it like your own home when ur gone... if u can get up at 5am to the smell of coffee and breathe in morning air found no where else in the world and trap that little moment inside ur heart forever.........these things, though not ONLY these things..there are a variety of other things...can make u dominican whether ur japanese, brazilian, italian or african...even if just for a moment.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast