paradoxes in DR

GuRu

Apr 22, 2003
Hi all,

In the end of december I go to DR for at least six weeks, together with a friend of mine. He's planning to do his thesis photography in DR because I've been talking about DR's beauty so much (been there a few times, travelling around/visiting friends).

Now I'm not really sure what the best subject for this photo 'book' would be, but we were thinking about poor-rich or more in general the diversity of the country...

I've noticed that a lot of you actually live in DR (lucky bastards :p ) and so maybe you could help me find the perfect subject/locations/people to make this thesis a real beauty !

Thanx in advance, any help is more than welcome !

GuRu aka El TiGueRe

Last edited:

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
GuRu said:
Hi all,

In the end of december I go to DR for at least six weeks, together with a friend of mine. He's planning to do his thesis photography in DR because I've been talking about DR's beauty so much (been there a few times, travelling around/visiting friends).

Now I'm not really sure what the best subject for this photo 'book' would be, but we were thinking about poor-rich or more in general the diversity of the country...

I've noticed that a lot of you actually live in DR (lucky bastards :p ) and so maybe you could help me find the perfect subject/locations/people to make this thesis a real beauty !

Thanx in advance, any help is more than welcome !

GuRu aka El TiGueRe
Check out the media gallery from DR1 and you will get some good ideas. Especially from the link for Paul Garace. He takes beautiful pictures and captures a real feel for the country.

GuRu

Apr 22, 2003
Tnx for the reply Dulce !
I've seen the pics before and they are very nice indeed.
The thing is that for now the idea is to visit the suburbs in sto dgo, poor people on the campo and as well the expensive appartements in sto dgo and most extraordinary resorts...
Anyone more ideas ?

GuRu

Apr 22, 2003
Locofoto, thanx for your message. I wanted to send you an email, but there seems to be a problem with you emailaddress ?
Can you resend me your address please ? Tnx in advance !

gatoazul

Aug 24, 2004
Go to the "barrios" also.

Hi Guru,

Go also to the "barrios" of Santo Domingo. It's something like (but not exactly the same) the brazilian favelas. I suggest you to get in contact with Peace Corps in Santo Domingo. There are a lot of volunteers that can take you to some interesting places.

Take good pics and let us see.

Gatoazul

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
check out Arroyo Hondo

Arroyo Hondo in Santo Domingo is an amazing mix of the "haves and haves not" I think it would be worth a look for your friend.

Last edited:

GuRu

Apr 22, 2003
Good idea Gatoazul, and the nicest part is that people from peace corps stay in a hotel runned by a friend of mine :eek:)

And I didn't think about Arroyo Hondo before expatsooner, so tnx for the tip !

Sto Dgo isn't the problem, spent a lot of time there and most of my friends live there... So if somebody knows about places outside of sto dgo, let me know ! I'm thinking about the border with ha?ti for example...