Cigars

boneil

Jul 16, 2004
As I've not been to the Dr, but will be in late Sept., Many friends have requested that I bring back cigars for them. Any opinions as to where the best place to puchase would be? I will be staying in the Juan Dolio area but I am planning some local travel. Thanks

BigCity27

Mar 4, 2004
If you travel to La Romana, Jumbo has good prices on cigars as well as many other cigar shops. If you're going to be staying at the beach & there are beach vendors selling cigars, I would not advise buying them. I would highly recommend going to a cigar store or a legitimate establishment and paying a little extra for :smoke: La Aurora's :smoke: , they are quite an enjoyable smoke.

boneil

Jul 16, 2004
BigCity27 said:
If you travel to La Romana, Jumbo has good prices on cigars as well as many other cigar shops. If you're going to be staying at the beach & there are beach vendors selling cigars, I would not advise buying them. I would highly recommend going to a cigar store or a legitimate establishment and paying a little extra for :smoke: La Aurora's :smoke: , they are quite an enjoyable smoke.
Appreciate the advice.. Will check out Jumbo

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Forget Jumbo

If you go to La Romana, look on the right side as you turn off the highway. You go by a Propane distributor place (Always lots of people waiting to fill their tanks) and then on the Right is a new "Caribbean Store" with lots of Arturo Fuente signs out front.

This is the most complete selection of Dominican cigars that exist possibly anywhere on the island. It is huge and the selection is endless. Prices are high since cigars pay 32% tax plus the 12% VAT. BUT there are no limits on anything! You can buy all the Fuente Opus X you want--if you want to pay the price..

If you want goodCubans, go to Fumo at the Marina, or at Altos de Chavon.
Be careful, look them over for bugs, bug holes or dust in the box. They are having problems with this and I am trying to help them out. Prices are very fair and selection is good. They even have Monte #2s

HB :D:D:D

boneil

Jul 16, 2004
Hillbilly said:
If you go to La Romana, look on the right side as you turn off the highway. You go by a Propane distributor place (Always lots of people waiting to fill their tanks) and then on the Right is a new "Caribbean Store" with lots of Arturo Fuente signs out front.

This is the most complete selection of Dominican cigars that exist possibly anywhere on the island. It is huge and the selection is endless. Prices are high since cigars pay 32% tax plus the 12% VAT. BUT there are no limits on anything! You can buy all the Fuente Opus X you want--if you want to pay the price..

If you want goodCubans, go to Fumo at the Marina, or at Altos de Chavon.
Be careful, look them over for bugs, bug holes or dust in the box. They are having problems with this and I am trying to help them out. Prices are very fair and selection is good. They even have Monte #2s

HB :D:D:D
Thanks, Helpful info. I'm thinking my buddies are going to have to pre-fund their requests before I leave. Bob

boss170

Feb 26, 2004
San pedro de macoris!

You can rent a scooter and it is about 15 minutes away, ask for a store called IBERIA. I did it and got some good cigars at very low prices, this is not a tourist place, it is like a little wal-mart where Dominicans shop. Good luck..

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
boneil said:
As I've not been to the Dr........

Wow a full day and Mr.Picky hasn't posted on here saying that 'Dr' is the abbreviation for 'Doctor' and not the Dominican Republic, something must be wrong.

I would definately get your buddies to 'pre-fund' you before you go. I am not a smoker myself but i did bring back some 'La Aurora' cigars back for someone a couple of years ago, I am glad he 'pre-funded' me - i didnt realise they cost so much.

Good luck and have a great vacation - i am sure you will ! :)

boneil

Jul 16, 2004
tired_boy said:
Wow a full day and Mr.Picky hasn't posted on here saying that 'Dr' is the abbreviation for 'Doctor' and not the Dominican Republic, something must be wrong.

I would definately get your buddies to 'pre-fund' you before you go. I am not a smoker myself but i did bring back some 'La Aurora' cigars back for someone a couple of years ago, I am glad he 'pre-funded' me - i didnt realise they cost so much.

Good luck and have a great vacation - i am sure you will ! :)
I'm not a cigar smoker and knowing how these guys I'd be out-of-pocket. Thanks

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Good point Tired Boy

Do make sure your friends give you lots of money for their smokes

You are allowed to bring 50 cigars back, but 100 is sort of overlooked.

Cubans are subject to confiscation so I would avoid them if your buddies do not insist on them.

You might have one buddy that just "has' to have a Monte #2 (About $12), tell him you can do it but he must be aware of the consecuences. You put it in two ziplocs and it will keep fine. Be sure to take ziplocs if you are going to buy singles. Bring big money if someone tell you to buy a box of Opus X ($750 for #5 Opux)).

a box of La Aurora preferidos will cost you about $355 (more or less.) They are not cheap.

But the up side is you will make a lot of friends real happy with your treasures..

HB :D

tcat

Dec 4, 2004
la romana cigar tours?

Any chance of getting a tour in a cigar factory in La Romana?
What about buying Dominican cigars , are they readily available?
Like Romeo and Juliette is it best to buy in the states or in DR?
Tcat