Pregnant?

golfing1

Aug 4, 2004
Has anyone ever traveled to the DR prego? We are trying for baby #2 and are planning on going to the IB Bavaro this Dec...hopefully prego! Anyone have any insight as to precautions/recommendations in case I am? A little nervous traveling to a 3rd world country if prego (though it is NOT stopping us!!). Been to the DR 6 times, so we are familiar with the land, just not the medicine! Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Dec 9, 2002
I wouldn't have thought you would have any problems so long as you take the same care that you would at home. After all, they do have babies all the time in DR you know :classic:

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
...and cigars too

Golfing1,

There is a well staffed, clean, and modern hospital, "Hospiten", in the Bavaro Punta Cana. It's on the same road as the airport. The doctors are Spanish and Dominican. Make sure your health insurance provides an option for out of country coverage. Hospiten will take payment by credit card.

The additional good news is you will have many selections of domestic and foreign cigars available to purchase here to hand out as favors when the baby arrives.

Congratulations in advance and regards,
PJT

DaveinNY

Jul 9, 2004
One of the dangers to the developing fetus is higher risk of being exposed to solar radiation on the plane ride. I would STRONGLY advise consulting your Ob/Gyn. :)

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
at the most you would be 3-4 months pregnant. if anything were to go wrong it would not likely be because of your trip. airlines/flight insurance will allow you to travel up to 32 weeks [flight attendants are allowed to work (at their choice) up to around 6 months]. i pushed the limit and arrived home in the 32nd week. the only problems i encountered were more than normal fluid retention in my legs because of the humidity.

the only caution i took was to be more vigilant about drinking purified water as i didn't want any dehydration problems, or the risk of taking antibiotics while pregnant. if you are otherwise healthy you will be fine. enjoy and best wishes!

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Oh Please!!!

DaveinNY said:
One of the dangers to the developing fetus is higher risk of being exposed to solar radiation on the plane ride. I would STRONGLY advise consulting your Ob/Gyn. :)

My understanding is that if you wear a hat made out ot tin foil, it counteracts the "solar radiation" issue!!

(Sorry moderator, I could help myself)

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
golfing1 said:
Has anyone ever traveled to the DR prego? We are trying for baby #2 and are planning on going to the IB Bavaro this Dec...hopefully prego! Anyone have any insight as to precautions/recommendations in case I am? A little nervous traveling to a 3rd world country if prego (though it is NOT stopping us!!). Been to the DR 6 times, so we are familiar with the land, just not the medicine! Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Golfing1,
You shouldn't have any problems. If you do, I advice seeing Dr. Juan Manuel Canela of "Cl?nica Dr. Canela" in La Romana (a couple of hours away from Bavaro but worth the trip for something this important). Routinely takes care of national and international Casa de Campo matrons. He speaks English, has all the right equipment for sonograms etc. and is very well trained. It also helps that his family owns the clinic and that he is a very good golfer (by your name I figured that the latter may count for something).
enjoy your trip,
- Tordok

DaveinNY

Jul 9, 2004
CyaBye3015 said:
My understanding is that if you wear a hat made out ot tin foil, it counteracts the "solar radiation" issue!!

(Sorry moderator, I could help myself)

Before you flew off the handle, did you actually check my facts?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
DaveinNY said:
Before you flew off the handle, did you actually check my facts?

DaveinNY,

The poster was not flying off the handle, he was more or less jesting at the statement.

Your previous post, "One of the dangers to the developing fetus is higher risk of being exposed to solar radiation on the plane ride. I would STRONGLY advise consulting your Ob/Gyn." ...as I read it, is a statement wanting of more information. If you can offer up some additional resources to support the presentation I'm sure it will interest us all.

Regards,
PJT

Kuda

*** Sock-puppet ***
Jan 1, 2002

LaPinea

Mar 18, 2004
If you think you are now it is probably b/c you are more than 6 weeks pregnant now, so that puts you at about 4-5 months by December which is the best time to do anything during pregnancy. If you are not now, and become prego later, then try to go after your first trimester, which is one of the most sensitive times for the baby and you (baby's trying to hold on tight!). If you go between 16-28 weeks, you will be fine - just playing it safe. I've seen 9 month pregnant women on planes before and nothing seems to phase them....

Linda de Suecia

Apr 12, 2004
I went twice pregnant

to DR this year and I was fine. First time in week 15-17 and second time 25-27. I had a 17 hour long flight, including connection flight from Europe which made the trip long, but no problem. In general the treatment at the Sto Domingo airport was excellent! here they helped me with the bags, they let me through beside the security doors etc while at the European and American airports there was no special care taken at all (not that I needed special care-but I felt like a queen!:). I had no stomach problem what so ever, still I stayed most of the time in private homes and not at luxuary all-inclusive where I assume the food is handled better. The hot/humid weather made it difficult to sleep at night if not using air condition.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Fyi

My wife was 8 months "prego" and we came back here to Santiago to have the baby! No problem! She could have had it in the States but wanted her own OB-Gyn. (Dr. Herrera, TORDOC)

I would not sweat it, and the health care in B?varo and La Romana is very good, if expensive (Hospiten, at least--See DR1 News on this).

Dr. Canela is famous nationwide as being very good.

HB :D

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
My daughter did just fine

during our March, 2004 trip to the DR. She was about 6 1/2 months along at the time.

The flight had no effect on her at all and the only difference she noticed during our vacation was a positive one. The constant severe heartburn which hounded her back home in the US simply disappeared in the DR! Maybe due to less preservatives in the food?

Anyway, enjoy your trip. As previous posters have stated, there is capable medical help available in the unlikely event you should need it.

Swede

dcareamama

Jul 22, 2004
LaPinea said:
If you think you are now it is probably b/c you are more than 6 weeks pregnant now, so that puts you at about 4-5 months by December which is the best time to do anything during pregnancy. If you are not now, and become prego later, then try to go after your first trimester, which is one of the most sensitive times for the baby and you (baby's trying to hold on tight!). If you go between 16-28 weeks, you will be fine - just playing it safe. I've seen 9 month pregnant women on planes before and nothing seems to phase them....

I am chiming in late here, but I just wanted to say that I totally agree with LaPinea. The second trimester is when you really get to enjoy your pregnancy and feel at your best. A trip at this time would be ideal since the risk of miscarriage is minimal. I, for one, had a very uneventful pregnancy, except for the nasty heartburn I experienced at 5 months. I lived on Tums, literally. Make sure you stretch during the flight. Here is a link that might be helpful too. Good luck!

http://www.babycenter.com/pregnancy/pregnancytravel/index