Beware DR Residents *drivers*

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Many of you might have heard of some of these cases already but I thought I'd post somthing about here just in case.

In the past several weeks, there have been many reports in Santo Domingo (don't know about the rest of the country) of motorists disguised as AMET agents or military people stopping people on the streets to steal their cars or belongings. There's also been a few cases of kidnaps ending in rapes. One of these kidnaps happened on Avenida Anacaona, just 4 corners away from my place, leaving a 15 year old girl in very bad shape after being raped by several men. In the news this morning, it was reported that 2 of the men had been caught but other remain at large. And this is only one of the groups.

What is being advised to do if this happens to you is to continue driving until you find a real AMET agent (probably leaning on a post at a busy intersection looking at the traffic jam being created) or police officer. In all cases the robbers have fled as soon as they see a real agent. They often have on clothes similar to the AMET uniform and in all cases have been armed.

People, please be very careful and for those that have children or teenagers, take the necessary precautions to assure their safety...

Cuidense!

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
i received an email with something like that. and at today's diario libre they have an article about this here

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Car jackings happen in all capitals around the world, also here in Brussels, Paris or London. All you can do is lock your doors; it's a shame we are going to have to do that in our beloved DR as well, but that's also part of the 21st century I guess.
Bartolomeo

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
Bartolomeo67 said:
Car jackings happen in all capitals around the world, also here in Brussels, Paris or London. All you can do is lock your doors; it's a shame we are going to have to do that in our beloved DR as well, but that's also part of the 21st century I guess.
Bartolomeo

BULLCRAP TELL ME WHERE IS THAT HAPPENING SO I CAN USE MY NEW GUN?

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Bartolomeo67 said:
Bartolomeo

True enough.. question is do they happen more or less frequently than before and is this a real issue.. The one case being so highly publicised imo points to the fact that it is a relatively rare event.. maybe the residents could shed some light on this?

Do foreigners stand more chance of being targets?

Cheers,

MD

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Its all of these no good Drug dealers and murders being deported from the states back to the DR. They went to the US knowing how to pickpocket, in the streets of NY they learned how to use a uzi and how to kidnap and rape, then they got caught, deported and they keep doing what they learned here now!

They should all be given a trial upon deportation to the DR, and be found guilty if they are deported for anything other than visa fraud. Guilty would result in death penalty.

That should stop the rate of increase in crime here and maybe those drug dealers in NY would think twice before doing what they are doing. After, under this proposition, if you get deported that is the end of your life.

After all, you had a choice, so don't come crying now...

Whenever a cop stop you, do what I do. Call the police department and always have a weapon where the "officer" would be able to see from the outside of your car.

Women, carry pepper spray, a cell phone, a gun (or pocket knife) and refurbish your vocal cords for when the time comes to use them!

These sinberguenza need to be taught a lesson!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Yep, pure 100% scum! They should tag them and make them report to the police station daily. They miss a day, beat the life out of them and go tell Amnesty International to go play where the sun don't shine.

Human rights? Tell that to the girl that was gang raped!

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
let's kill them all!!

back to the question is this increasing, by how much and are foreigners (being perceived as rich) more at risk..

So far only a response from MrMike...

Cheers,

MD

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Is it on the increase? These types of crimes are now getting more press coverage, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are increasing.
I think as awareness increases, people perceive more crime is happening.

Are foreigners at risk? Usually no, but if crime is increasing, then it effects all walks of life.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I personally am more careful these days since the rape victim lived close to my place, too close for comfort. I'm not getting paranoid or anything but I am taking smart measures like not walking alone after dark, carrying a smaller purse, being careful when I get into a taxi or public car... Unfortunately, just being labelled as an "extranjero" means that one has to be a bit more careful because extranjero = money.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Crime rate

I am glad to see this subject being addressed here. During the last couple of days I have read related stories in the digital editions of Hoy, El Nacional, Clave Digital etc. I've read the story about the 15yr old girl who was gang raped and had to be sent to Miami for treatment.Her male companion was beaten and his jeep, SUV or whatever he was driving, was stolen. Then there was another story circulated by a lady whose surname is Ricardo, who almost became another victim of these criminals impersonating policemen. Then I read the readers comments and they all agreed that this type of thing has been on the increase recently. They all demanded severe punishment( the death penalty) for the criminals and also bitterly complained about corrupt judges and others who let criminals out for money. The articles revealed that this type of activity is now taking place in well to do areas of Sto. Domingo.

I certainly hope Sto. Domingo does not become another Mexico City with "express kidnappings", murders and other crimes becoming an epidemic. In the Caribbean, San Juan PR had acquired fame for being not safe. So far, the only thing that seems to be working in the DR is tourism, however this crime wave could do away with that "industry" too. Dominicans are really going to have to do something about it. Whatever it takes!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Keep in mind, most of these crimes are being commited by very young people, in their 20s.

These are either really poor slum dwellers or deported trash. Both of them have been subjected to the so called "Hip Hop Culture" and in my opinion, that is part of the problem.

In the past, a poor Dominicanito would look at his poverty and he would simply think of himself as being poor. If he was smart enough, he would had tried to get an education to better himself, despite the depressed sorroundings.

Now, the very same kid would simply listen to all that negative rap. Music that day in and day out says how much it sucks to be poor and that they hate those that are not poor. That they want money now, but they don't want to work hard for it, etc etc etc.

These poor kids listen to that everyday, it begins to affect their way of thinking and then, they get together with their other "friends". Conversations of how much they hate the well to do arise constantly. Then they meet some scumbag who was just deported from NY and the scumbag gives them the motivation to sell their souls to the devil.

Then they walk the streets, see a helpless dignified young girl that is well dress standing on the street probably dreaming about her new boyfriend. Her father is in another part of town thinking how proud he is of his little girl turning into a dignified woman. Her mother is somewhere else in town telling her friends about the wonderful shopping she and her daughter had at Plaza Lama the day before and that both of them got a bit closer as mother and daughter. Then in the time it takes to blink an eye come these low minded people, attack her, beat her, rape her, and attempt to kill her.

Now that girl's life is destroyed forever, Daddy's little princess has been hurt, Mommy's best friend, daughter, and reason for life has been abused. The carajitos probably feel bad, but since the deported scumbag is acting "tough like he did back in the hood in NY", the rest act tough too. They listen to more rap junk and reggeton telling them that weed is good and how much they hate the well to do and how unfair life is. Now, they go and do the crime again, destroying yet another life.

That is why I support the death penalty. Once these 20 year olds see that they can and will be killed (if we were a dictatorship it would have been some serious torture), maybe these 20 year olds would think twice before doing that.

The banning of explicit music from the DR would also help I would think and the death penalty to all those deported scumbags would save some other girl's or guy's life in Santo Domingo for getting rid of the problem before it was a serious problem.

This country was a safe heaven not so long ago! Ever since the deportations have increased in 1996 forward, this country has become a human hunting range and it must be stopped if we want to truly live. Living in fear is not living by any definition!

And all of those amnesty and human rights organizations can go to hell with their bs. If we need to violate the rights of a person who thinks nothing of raping a 15 YEAR OLD TEENAGE GIRL WHO'S LIFE WAS JUST STARTING, THAN THAT ANIMAL DOESN'T DESERVE TO BE TREATED LIKE A LIVING THING!

Human rights, like everything else in this world, must be earned!

Last edited:

Sylvester

Jan 19, 2004
Hip Hop to blame ???????

Nal0whs said:
Keep in mind, most of these crimes are being commited by very young people, in their 20s.

These are either really poor slum dwellers or deported trash. Both of them have been subjected to the so called "Hip Hop Culture" and in my opinion, that is part of the problem.

In the past, a poor Dominicanito would look at his poverty and he would simply think of himself as being poor. If he was smart enough, he would had tried to get an education to better himself, despite the depressed sorroundings.

Now, the very same kid would simply listen to all that negative rap. Music that day in and day out says how much it sucks to be poor and that they hate those that are not poor. That they want money now, but they don't want to work hard for it, etc etc etc.

These poor kids listen to that everyday, it begins to affect their way of thinking and then, they get together with their other "friends". Conversations of how much they hate the well to do arise constantly. Then they meet some scumbag who was just deported from NY and the scumbag gives them the motivation to sell their souls to the devil.

Then they walk the streets, see a helpless dignified young girl that is well dress standing on the street probably dreaming about her new boyfriend. Her father is in another part of town thinking how proud he is of his little girl turning into a dignified woman. Her mother is somewhere else in town telling her friends about the wonderful shopping she and her daughter had at Plaza Lama the day before and that both of them got a bit closer as mother and daughter. Then in the time it takes to blink an eye come these low minded people, attack her, beat her, rape her, and attempt to kill her.

Now that girl's life is destroyed forever, Daddy's little princess has been hurt, Mommy's best friend, daughter, and reason for life has been abused. The carajitos probably feel bad, but since the deported scumbag is acting "tough like he did back in the hood in NY", the rest act tough too. They listen to more rap junk and reggeton telling them that weed is good and how much they hate the well to do and how unfair life is. Now, they go and do the crime again, destroying yet another life.

That is why I support the death penalty. Once these 20 year olds see that they can and will be killed (if we were a dictatorship it would have been some serious torture), maybe these 20 year olds would think twice before doing that.

The banning of explicit music from the DR would also help I would think and the death penalty to all those deported scumbags would save some other girl's or guy's life in Santo Domingo for getting rid of the problem before it was a serious problem.

This country was a safe heaven not so long ago! Ever since the deportations have increased in 1996 forward, this country has become a human hunting range and it must be stopped if we want to truly live. Living in fear is not living by any definition!

And all of those amnesty and human rights organizations can go to hell with their bs. If we need to violate the rights of a person who thinks nothing of raping a 15 YEAR OLD TEENAGE GIRL WHO'S LIFE WAS JUST STARTING, THAN THAT ANIMAL DOESN'T DESERVE TO BE TREATED LIKE A LIVING THING!

Rather an over simplistic explanation of the problem at hand with absolutely no basis in fact. What empirical research do you have to support this claim ?
To imply a causal relationship between hip hop culture and the perceived increased level of violence in the DR is utter nonsense.

The root cause lies elsewhere.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Sylvester said:
Rather an over simplistic explanation of the problem at hand with absolutely no basis in fact. What empirical research do you have to support this claim ?
To imply a causal relationship between hip hop culture and the perceived increased level of violence in the DR is utter nonsense.

The root cause lies elsewhere.

The root cause may lie elsewhere, but the negative aspect of Hip Hop culture is not helping, that is a fact for sure. Young people tend to be weak minded, tell them that killing is good and they will kill, tell that working hard is good and they will work hard. They might resist at first, but after a while its engrained in their subconscious minds that it because second nature for them.

I truly believe there is a correlation between the level of self happiness prevailant in the Dominicans, despite most living in poverty and the fact that we have such lively music like Merengue.

Then, look at other cultures where the Young are subjected to all things negative and you have a totally different scenerio. Much of the world live in misery, and yet few live as happy as Dominicans. Things are changing and the cultural impact is the cause for the change, otherwise everything would have remained like before.

Nobody needs a rocket scientist to figure out that if a young kid watches violence and negative things, that he/she will think of such actions as less harsh than their parents did. I'm not suggesting that Hip Hop is fully responsible, but its not helping. And I'm not suggesting that all of Hip Hop is responsible, only the negative parts.

Argo

*** Sin Bin ***
Aug 5, 2004
Ban everyone

Nal0whs said:

As always, it is another culture or Country causing all the Dominican woes

You propose the death penalty for any crime that would cause deportation from the US, I propose this: The US should immediately pose a ban on any and all Dominicans, round up any Dominican living in the US at present and ship them back, residency or not

All Human Rights organizations and Aid groups should immediately leave the DR, send nor further food, medicine or teachers to prevent further corruption

It seems the DR would be a paradise if it were not for the outside world :-(

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Argo said:
As always, it is another culture or Country causing all the Dominican woes

You propose the death penalty for any crime that would cause deportation from the US, I propose this: The US should immediately pose a ban on any and all Dominicans, round up any Dominican living in the US at present and ship them back, residency or not

All Human Rights organizations and Aid groups should immediately leave the DR, send nor further food, medicine or teachers to prevent further corruption

It seems the DR would be a paradise if it were not for the outside world :-(

That plan would actually force many Dominicans to get off their butts and protest and demand their government to give them a better life! That would work, instead of just getting on the next plane to NY when things start to get tough in Santo Domingo.

Also, why is that so many of you are so sure, so positive that the rest of the world doesn't have an effect in the DR? Notice, I say effect, I never say full responsibilities for the DR problem.

I mean, many of you are quick to point the positives of the rest of the world effects on the DR, but when someone points to the negative, all of a sudden "the rest of the world has nothing to do with that".

After all, what foreign organization or foreign influence helped the US developed? the answer is none!

Why is the DR any different? Is it that the rest of the world feels that we can't govern ourselves?

Remember, it took the US over 200 years to get where it is today, with no interference or little interference from foreign sources!

The DR has been under control of other flags than its own for most of its time! To assume that foreign influence is not prevailant in the DR is just ignorant and absurd!

Sylvester

Jan 19, 2004
Nal0whs said:
....Nobody needs a rocket scientist to figure out that if a young kid watches violence and negative things, that he/she will think of such actions as less harsh than their parents did. I'm not suggesting that Hip Hop is fully responsible, but its not helping. And I'm not suggesting that all of Hip Hop is responsible, only the negative parts.

My generation grew up watching Looney Tunes, (Road Runner, Wild E Coyote, Bugs Bunny, Elmer Fudd). When last did you hear about some dropping a huge rock on someone head, or being thrown off some cliff, or shot at with a canon ? Media is not to blame.

This sort of bleeding heart liberal thinking where media is to blame for all societal woes removes the focus from the real problem. It takes away the issue of personal responsibility.

Violet crimes were committed long before the creation of televison, hip hop and video games. Your arguments have no mertit.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Sylvester said:
My generation grew up watching Looney Tunes, (Road Runner, Wild E Coyote, Bugs Bunny, Elmer Fudd). When last did you hear about some dropping a huge rock on someone head, or being thrown off some cliff, or shot at with a canon ? Media is not to blame.

This sort of bleeding heart liberal thinking where media is to blame for all societal woes removes the focus from the real problem. It takes away the issue of personal responsibility.

Violet crimes were committed long before the creation of televison, hip hop and video games. Your arguments have no mertit.

Road Runner has never been regarded as a role model, but Eminem, Tupac etc are.

Yes, I believe the media and deportees are having an effect on crime here in the DR.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
There is some positive hip hop music but I think the vast majority is a terrible influence on youth. Sure, some kids are level headed and well raised, but many kids (in cities throughout the US and DR) are out roaming the streets with no fathers keeping them in line and listening to this violent, adrenaline pumping music. It perpetuates a vicious cycle of "art imitating life" and "life imitating art."

The music didn't make them steal the car and rape the girl, but it sure did nothing to stop them. This urban, hip hop respectless culture is a huge detriment to DR and the US.