Tropical House: The real story

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilcanadiangal

Jan 23, 2004
Alright, well..I just spent the past four months at Tropical House and figured I might as well spill what the place is all about, considering I could barely find any decent information before I went there and I figure others are wondering as well.

Tropical House consists of about 20 different apartments spread throughout like 5 different buildings, all different prices and different sizes. It is located in Munoz, which isnt too far from Puerto Plata. It's a little past Playa Dorada, down a dirt road..about 2 kms...and well, I personally found it to be in a beautiful place. It's surrounded by trees, mountains, with a nice river behind it. I read in some places that the river is dirty and disgusting..but really, it's not. It's fine, everyone swims in it and loves it..and personally, I prefer it over the ocean. Nice to not be covered in salt..

Okay, I realize some people think it's too far from everything, but really, it's not that bad. Plus, it gives you a way to get out of the noise and dirtyness of Puerto Plata. The ruta Munoz cars leave every 7 or 8 minutes from like 7 am until 8pm and it costs 10 pesos to go to Playa Dorada and 15 for Puerto Plata, which isn't bad at all. The only real problem is at night time when you want to go out and sometimes you have to wait a while for the cars to get back to Munoz.

In terms of going out at night, you can almost always find someone, like a ruta munoz driver for example, that you can pay like 2-300 pesos each way to give you a ride. Now, yes, that is expensive for a person living there, but for a tourist its a really good price. Plus, you can usually find other people living there who want to go too and save money by splitting the cost.

Is Munoz dangerous? Well, I suppose that depends. If you want to walk alone down the dirt road in the middle of the night, I suppose it could be. But really, I never felt unsafe for a minute. I'm a young woman as well..so if I felt safe, everyone should. The people of the village are super nice if you get to know them, they're basically all a big family and everyone knows everyone. Yes, there is one part of the village that is Haitian. But I don't really see what the big problem is with the Haitian people, although it does seem like everyone assumes they are bad or something. Every single Haitian I met was very nice, sweet and helpful. In terms of security in the apartments, I was actually quite impressed. Seemed like all of the apartments have barred doors and windows, making it difficult to get it...and about 2 big locks to put on the door. And as well, at night time, they have like 2 guys out, with guns and machetes, watching for anyone who doesn't belong there. I had nothing stolen ever in my trip and never felt unsafe.

I had heard a lot of bad things about Diane Pellerin before I left, but actually, she's a very nice woman and was always very helpful with everything. All problems were resolved quickly and broken things, like my fridge, were fixed right away. The only thing I noticed that wasn't incredibly good...but I do understand because she is a business woman, is that she gives different prices to different people depending on how much she thinks they'll pay. So be careful, research how much prices are regularly and bargain with her, I guess. She's definitely a reasonable woman.

Well..I don't really know what else to add. If anyone has any questions, don't hesitate to ask me. Also, I have a bunch of pictures if anyone is interested.

lilcanadiangal :lick:

hooptie2

Feb 9, 2004
could be a possibility

I am curious-how much did you pay for rent? sounds like a possibility should we go to the POP area for an extended stay. thanks for the info.

lilcanadiangal

Jan 23, 2004
Cost

hooptie2 said:
I am curious-how much did you pay for rent? sounds like a possibility should we go to the POP area for an extended stay. thanks for the info.

I believe the prices vary between like 100-200 US or something, depending on which apartment you choose, I'm not sure. You should contact Diane Pellerin for the details, I guess. I don't have her email or anything on me, but I'm sure you can find it somewhere in dr1.com.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
lilcanadiangal said:
I had heard a lot of bad things about Diane Pellerin before I left
Yet you went there anyhow.
lilcanadiangal said:
she gives different prices to different people depending on how much she thinks they'll pay.
It's this type of business practice, along with false promises of employment, that gave her the bad reputation in the first place.

If you go out and buy a brand new Honda Civic for $15,000, then all is well.
If you pay $30,000, you just got ripped off.
If you pay for a Mercedez Benz and the dealer delivers a Honda Civic, you just got ripped off.

lilcanadiangal

Jan 23, 2004
Rocky said:
Yet you went there anyhow.

It's this type of business practice, along with false promises of employment, that gave her the bad reputation in the first place.

If you go out and buy a brand new Honda Civic for $15,000, then all is well.
If you pay $30,000, you just got ripped off.
If you pay for a Mercedez Benz and the dealer delivers a Honda Civic, you just got ripped off.

She doesn't necessarily give false promises of employment, Rocky. Yes, she certainly does make it seem like there are tons of jobs out there and anyone can get one. But you know what? The jobs are there. I got one, and in less than a week of being there..when I was there a lot of people were working. If you have the initiative and you want the job, you're going to find one. Someone who goes there expecting that Diane will place a job in their lap is not.

I would like to point out that I actually ended up in Diane's place by accident, as I had booked an apartment in the city but somehow the company that I had booked through handed me over to Diane. (Long Story) When I arrived, I was very mad and said I was leaving within a week as soon as I found another place...but then I really liked the place and never ended up leaving for the remainder of my trip. And I'm not the only person who likes the place either...the majority of the people living there are long term people and people who keep coming back and coming back. Diane and the place can't be that bad if people are actually returning, assuming if you have a bad experience that you'd probably never go back.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I would like to thank the OP for an informative post. The one thing I would take issue on is the availability of jobs. Yes, if you are utterly determined you may well find something......like selling tours on a commission only basis. But I would hate for any potential new residents to walk away with the idea that there are plenty of jobs available, because this is what they want to read. It just isn't so. Plus there are many out of work Dominicans, who maybe, just maybe should be given first crack at jobs for which they have suitable skills, after the last 2 difficult years in this country.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I'm absolutely not for or against anyone when I say this but;

Who in their right mind would just up and move to a country if they had no money and no job? I wouldn't take anyone's word for it till I was signed up for a job. I went down and stayed for a month back in 99 to research what some people had told me about selling timeshare and the HUGE amounts of money that could be made. Sure they hired me on the spot, doesn't cost anyone money if you're working on commission but it wasn't for me. I had the experience and now I know what I can and can't do. I didn't sell my stuff and cut off all my ties. Maybe better chosen words should be used when telling starry eyed people that they can find a job.

My two Canadian cents which aren't worth much :paranoid: these days.

lilcanadiangal

Jan 23, 2004
Lambada said:
I would like to thank the OP for an informative post. The one thing I would take issue on is the availability of jobs. Yes, if you are utterly determined you may well find something......like selling tours on a commission only basis. But I would hate for any potential new residents to walk away with the idea that there are plenty of jobs available, because this is what they want to read. It just isn't so. Plus there are many out of work Dominicans, who maybe, just maybe should be given first crack at jobs for which they have suitable skills, after the last 2 difficult years in this country.

The situation of job availability certainly would fluctuate depending on the time of the year. I can only speak of my personal experience and I had no problem finding a job in one of the hotels, along with 4 other French guys who were living there at the time as well. Finding a job will depend on a lot of things..and you do have a point...perhaps the Dominicans should be given the first crack at the jobs. But, that is the choice of the employers, I suppose...I assume they know exactly how the job situation is in the Dominican Republic.

Either way, I am not going to argue with anyone about Tropical House. This is a board to write about your trip experiences and I was sharing my trip and what I saw and experienced. Everyone will have their own opinion and is certainly entitled to it. Ya.

lilcanadiangal :classic:

lilcanadiangal

Jan 23, 2004
Anna Coniglio said:
I'm absolutely not for or against anyone when I say this but;

Who in their right mind would just up and move to a country if they had no money and no job? I wouldn't take anyone's word for it till I was signed up for a job.

I completely agree with you...to just move up to a country with no job and no money, hoping that someone is just going to hand you over a job is completely crazy. I never expected Diane to find me a job, in fact, I never ever asked her. I just went out hunting on my own. And I had money in case that didn't work out.

For any people who are planning on this, think it through and make sure you have back up plans. You may or may not be lucky enough to find a job and although jobs such as timeshares are always out there, it is not as easy as they make you think it is and if you do decide to do that, from what i've heard, you're going to be working like a dog to make anything -- 7 days a week, 7am - 7pm. Can't speak from my own personal experience on that one...but thats what I was told when I was considering it as an option for myself.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
lilcanadiangal said:
Either way, I am not going to argue with anyone about Tropical House. This is a board to write about your trip experiences and I was sharing my trip and what I saw and experienced. Everyone will have their own opinion and is certainly entitled to it. Ya.lilcanadiangal :classic:
Judging by your title, "Tropical House, The Real Story" it seems like you wanted to argue others takes on the place with your own because it had bad writeups before yours. I guess you are "Not going to argue with anyone any longer"?

If the other people were entitled to their own opinions why name the thread "The Real Story", and then not want to defend your attitude?

I am just curious and wondered about your post from the beginning. Good luck to you and I hope you enjoy Tropical House if that is where you chose to live.

Scott

stormer

Apr 27, 2004
thanks!

Lilcanadiangirl thanks for the info I was once gonna stay there a while back, but heard such awful things about it. Just curious what kind of work did you have while you were down there?

Rosemary

*** Sin Bin ***
Apr 13, 2004
.<<<< And I'm not the only person who likes the place either...the majority of the people living there are long term people and people who keep coming back and coming back. Diane and the place can't be that bad if people are actually returning, assuming if you have a bad experience that you'd probably never go back.>>>>
Hi, I too have heard, or rather read some pretty bad things about Diane, all of which I have gotten from this forum, I had never heard of the lady before !
I have to say the many posts of warnings most certainly put me on guard ! While I do not wish to disbelieve an account of your trip, I find myself wondering and asking why none of these other long term people,who keep coming back and coming back, have never posted a favourable report of their stay there! Other than your's I dont recall reading one ! Maybe I missed it ! It cant be that none of them ever read this board, plus they must have friends who do, and would pass along the comments! I would be interested in seeing your pictures, or comments from more of the people living there, that way I will form my own judgement !

lilcanadiangal

Jan 23, 2004
Escott said:
Judging by your title, "Tropical House, The Real Story" it seems like you wanted to argue others takes on the place with your own because it had bad writeups before yours. I guess you are "Not going to argue with anyone any longer"?

If the other people were entitled to their own opinions why name the thread "The Real Story", and then not want to defend your attitude?

I am just curious and wondered about your post from the beginning. Good luck to you and I hope you enjoy Tropical House if that is where you chose to live.

Scott

Scott, I called it the real story because I haven't really read any other accounts of Tropical House that contained any real information. I dont consider myself that different or anything...I'm a young university student and I figure that a lot of people would feel the same, that's all. I simply thought that sharing my information might be helpful to some people...but people just keep continuing to say the place is horrible. Yes, in some people's opinion that may be. I was stating my experience. Only what I personally thought of the place.

lilcanadiangal

Jan 23, 2004
stormer said:
Lilcanadiangirl thanks for the info I was once gonna stay there a while back, but heard such awful things about it. Just curious what kind of work did you have while you were down there?

I worked in Playa Naco in the Kid's Club :p

lilcanadiangal

Jan 23, 2004
Rosemary said:
.<<<< And I'm not the only person who likes the place either...the majority of the people living there are long term people and people who keep coming back and coming back. Diane and the place can't be that bad if people are actually returning, assuming if you have a bad experience that you'd probably never go back.>>>>
Hi, I too have heard, or rather read some pretty bad things about Diane, all of which I have gotten from this forum, I had never heard of the lady before !
I have to say the many posts of warnings most certainly put me on guard ! While I do not wish to disbelieve an account of your trip, I find myself wondering and asking why none of these other long term people,who keep coming back and coming back, have never posted a favourable report of their stay there! Other than your's I dont recall reading one ! Maybe I missed it ! It cant be that none of them ever read this board, plus they must have friends who do, and would pass along the comments! I would be interested in seeing your pictures, or comments from more of the people living there, that way I will form my own judgement !

Hey Rosemary. I completely understand where you're coming from because I felt the exact same way. When I was going, I had booked at Tropical House and then cancelled the reservation because of all the horrible things I had heard and the lack of anything good. Then I booked an apartment with Carib Homes and believed I had an apartment close to the Malecon up until I was picked up at Caribe Tours by Diane and transported to Tropical House. I, too, would not have given the place a chance if it wasn't for that.

I learned what the place was like by being there and seeing the place. I loved the village. It was beautiful and the people living there were great. I don't really know why no one else has posted a message, but whenever I mentioned this site down there, no one seemed to know it existed. If you would really like to talk to some people who are living there, I have some phone numbers and an email of some friends I have down there. Plus, I have tons of pictures that I'd love to show you. I made an online album of the digital pictures I had from my trip and if you tell me your email, I can send you the invitation to see them. I have a bunch of the actual place, my first apartment and like one of my second apartment. I also have a bunch of fotos from the one BBQ we had there as well, so you can look at some of the other people who live there.

Let me know if you're interested

stormer

Apr 27, 2004
lilcanadiangal said:
Hey Rosemary. I completely understand where you're coming from because I felt the exact same way. When I was going, I had booked at Tropical House and then cancelled the reservation because of all the horrible things I had heard and the lack of anything good. Then I booked an apartment with Carib Homes and believed I had an apartment close to the Malecon up until I was picked up at Caribe Tours by Diane and transported to Tropical House. I, too, would not have given the place a chance if it wasn't for that.

I learned what the place was like by being there and seeing the place. I loved the village. It was beautiful and the people living there were great. I don't really know why no one else has posted a message, but whenever I mentioned this site down there, no one seemed to know it existed. If you would really like to talk to some people who are living there, I have some phone numbers and an email of some friends I have down there. Plus, I have tons of pictures that I'd love to show you. I made an online album of the digital pictures I had from my trip and if you tell me your email, I can send you the invitation to see them. I have a bunch of the actual place, my first apartment and like one of my second apartment. I also have a bunch of fotos from the one BBQ we had there as well, so you can look at some of the other people who live there.

Let me know if you're interested

I would love to see those pics..........private message me. :squareeye

Status
Not open for further replies.