First time in DR

neilc

Aug 31, 2004
Hi all
I had never been on an AI before but having heard that all the drinks were included and knowing that I do like to have the odd pint I decided to go for it. Also the price was ridiculous only ?650 pp for 2 weeks and that was with flights, transfers etc.

Landed at La Romana airport and was herded onto the buses waiting to take us to the Barcelo Talanquera Resort in Juan Dolio. Arrived early evening in time for dinner and a paddle. The hotel seemed ok and you got what you paid for.

Our first trip was to SD by coach arranged by the rep. Had a great time there as I love old historic buildings.We went to see Columbus?s house, a lovely old church and had a general walkabout. Next stop was shopping in a market where we managed to haggle our way through without getting stung too much, which was fun. The coach then took us to a jewellery/ souvenir shop for half an hour. The tour guy must have been on commission but we never bought anything and neither did anyone else. Had lunch in a restaurant with music and dancers, nice food nice atmosphere.

On the way back had a look at Presidential Palace,Columbus Monument and some interesting caves. All in all a great day. We never used our rep after that and got some good trips cheaper from the beach guys.

After a few days rest we were up for it again and went horseback riding in the country and through a poor local village. They were saying hola and waving and smiling at us as we went by. Funny thing, where I live there are people with money who walk right past you with face to the floor not saying a word. I suppose money can?t buy you happiness.

Next trip was white water rafting. This trip is definitely worth doing if you haven?t done rafting before. I loved the 4 or so hours to get there just looking out of our coach at the villages and countryside. Breakfast was laid on at the centre and then it was getting your wetsuit on. Phew what a struggle. They were never meant for a person of beer gut proportions. The rafting lasts for about 3-4 hours then back to the centre to watch the video that was taken while rafting. What a fantastic experience it was.

Relaxing at our hotel was next on the cards by the beach and beer,cuba libre etc. After that day holed up we were in the mood so I booked to go quadbiking out along the sugar cane fields. There?s nothing like the breeze on your face and the mud in your ear. I am proud to say that my son and I found the deepest and muddiest holes in the land and we came back filthy. Couldn?t understand everyone else going around them. That?s all part of the fun.

Last trip out was to Samana Island on the catamaran and back on a speedboat. This was the most relaxing day we had. The wife thought she was in paradise and I suppose it was true because it was absolutely beautiful. BBQ on the beach with drinks and the water was crystal clear and warm as a bath.

All too soon our holiday was over. We had a great time although on our next visit I would like to get out a bit more and see some more of the people and country. None of us can speak a word of Spanish and our rep did not know where to get the local buses or times and prices. I would like to visit up north Sosua area POP somewhere. A friend has visited there and said it was great. Don?t know when next time will be but I hope it?s soon and not just a dream.

Neil

Last edited:

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Nice trip report. Any way you can go in the "edit" function and break it up with a few paragraphs? It is a bit hard to read.

You must remember this NeilC

AI's are ok if you like them, many on these boards prefer going non AI, I have done both many times.

Booze free at AI's, well sure but the difference in price from where you live and the DR is quite noticeable, a good pint of beer in the UK is well over ?2 which is by US$ around $4 while in the DR a good pint of Presidente is around 30p, a bottle of rum (litre) in the UK ?36.50 or $72 US while in the DR about $3US max.

Now someone will certainly post that my conversions are incorrect but in retrospect the values shown are close, Booze is cheap in the DR
? Hlywud

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Hlywud said:
Now someone will certainly post that my conversions are incorrect but in retrospect the values shown are close, Booze is cheap in the DR
? Hlywud
Well, Wud, cheap booze may be cheap in the DR, but I don't think I ever in all my years living and traveling there managed to get, say, a bottle of Barcelo Imperial for only US$3... :cheeky:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Keith R said:
Well, Wud, cheap booze may be cheap in the DR, but I don't think I ever in all my years living and traveling there managed to get, say, a bottle of Barcelo Imperial for only US$3... :cheeky:

Now hang on there Keith I'm looking at an empty :rolleyes: bottle of Barcelo Gran Anejo 700 ml and the tag says 86 pesos. The exchange rate in Nov/Dec was an average 40 for 1 US so that's about 2 bucks and 6 pesos.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Anna Coniglio said:
Now hang on there Keith I'm looking at an empty :rolleyes: bottle of Barcelo Gran Anejo 700 ml and the tag says 86 pesos. The exchange rate in Nov/Dec was an average 40 for 1 US so that's about 2 bucks and 6 pesos.
Hmmm, then wonder what an Imperial goes for these days?

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
No, no!!

Anna Coniglio said:
Anna, I do not think that Keith meant Barcelo Anejo, he meant the Barcelo Imperial, which, I believe, it's the most expensive of all Barcelo's rums. I could be wrong since I am not a heavy rum drinker.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
miguel said:
Anna, I do not think that Keith meant Barcelo Anejo, he meant the Barcelo Imperial, which, I believe, it's the most expensive of all Barcelo's rums. I could be wrong since I am not a heavy rum drinker.
You are quite correct, Miguel. I was speaking of the very best. ;)

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Si!

Keith R said:
You are quite correct, Miguel. I was speaking of the very best. ;)
I thought you were. I remember buying a very, very expensive (by dominican standards) Barcelo rum for my boss about 8 years ago. I really do not recall if it was the Imperial but all I can say is that it came on a very different and nice looking bottle. I think the bottle is blue. Again, maybe I am wrong.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
And since I'm not much of a drinker I don't know one from another.

Wud said:

A bottle of "rum" no special kind was mentioned.

Ok back to topic.

Great trip report ;)

neilc

Aug 31, 2004
surely not

Booze free at AI's, well sure but the difference in price from where you live and the DR is quite noticeable, a good pint of beer in the UK is well over ?2 which is by US$ around $4 while in the DR a good pint of Presidente is around 30p,

Hi hlywud

The 30p a pint I presume is what you would pay off the beaten track?
It can't be that price at Rocky's or Eddy's. Iv'e never been before so I don't know. Reading the reports about them, I would probably be frequenting that sort of watering hole.

Neil

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
The 30p a pint for Presidente is valid most places in the DR!

I'm sure the more "upscale" watering holes charge a bit more but how often does one go "upscale" when on vacation!
Either way I can't wait til October to get down there and down a few (tho' the Guiness in a can isn't all that bad!!). It's getting mighty chilly up here in the Great White North and I've started packing! :D

Wannago

May 27, 2004
Sounds like you had a great time. Makes me long for the beach, the sand, those warm sunny days and the friendly people. Can't wait for January....

neilc said:
Hi all
I had never been on an AI before but having heard that all the drinks were included and knowing that I do like to have the odd pint I decided to go for it. Also the price was ridiculous only ?650 pp for 2 weeks and that was with flights, transfers etc.

Landed at La Romana airport and was herded onto the buses waiting to take us to the Barcelo Talanquera Resort in Juan Dolio. Arrived early evening in time for dinner and a paddle. The hotel seemed ok and you got what you paid for.

Our first trip was to SD by coach arranged by the rep. Had a great time there as I love old historic buildings.We went to see Columbus?s house, a lovely old church and had a general walkabout. Next stop was shopping in a market where we managed to haggle our way through without getting stung too much, which was fun. The coach then took us to a jewellery/ souvenir shop for half an hour. The tour guy must have been on commission but we never bought anything and neither did anyone else. Had lunch in a restaurant with music and dancers, nice food nice atmosphere.

On the way back had a look at Presidential Palace,Columbus Monument and some interesting caves. All in all a great day. We never used our rep after that and got some good trips cheaper from the beach guys.

After a few days rest we were up for it again and went horseback riding in the country and through a poor local village. They were saying hola and waving and smiling at us as we went by. Funny thing, where I live there are people with money who walk right past you with face to the floor not saying a word. I suppose money can?t buy you happiness.

Next trip was white water rafting. This trip is definitely worth doing if you haven?t done rafting before. I loved the 4 or so hours to get there just looking out of our coach at the villages and countryside. Breakfast was laid on at the centre and then it was getting your wetsuit on. Phew what a struggle. They were never meant for a person of beer gut proportions. The rafting lasts for about 3-4 hours then back to the centre to watch the video that was taken while rafting. What a fantastic experience it was.

Relaxing at our hotel was next on the cards by the beach and beer,cuba libre etc. After that day holed up we were in the mood so I booked to go quadbiking out along the sugar cane fields. There?s nothing like the breeze on your face and the mud in your ear. I am proud to say that my son and I found the deepest and muddiest holes in the land and we came back filthy. Couldn?t understand everyone else going around them. That?s all part of the fun.

Last trip out was to Samana Island on the catamaran and back on a speedboat. This was the most relaxing day we had. The wife thought she was in paradise and I suppose it was true because it was absolutely beautiful. BBQ on the beach with drinks and the water was crystal clear and warm as a bath.

All too soon our holiday was over. We had a great time although on our next visit I would like to get out a bit more and see some more of the people and country. None of us can speak a word of Spanish and our rep did not know where to get the local buses or times and prices. I would like to visit up north Sosua area POP somewhere. A friend has visited there and said it was great. Don?t know when next time will be but I hope it?s soon and not just a dream.

Neil