Chicago Dominicans

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Leandro Reynoso of the Dominican Tourist Office in Chicago says that there is a "varied" Dominican community in Chicago. He says that he will tell you about it if you call him to his office at 773-529-1336.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Yes it is relatively large and organized. There are a number of organizations
to get involved with Casa Dominicana and Dominican-American Midwest Association. They are fairly organized and host an annual Dominican event for the city. The Chicago area has the highest percentage of Dominican-Americans, many who are small business owners and professionals, such as Rafael Nunez-Cedeno, a linguistics professor at UIC. Do look him up and get active with DAMA. If interested you can send me a PM. Let me know how I can best assist you.

prietolindo said:
Are there any Dominican communities in Chicago?

Last edited:

puropapi3

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 1, 2004
Yup

deelt said:
Yes it is relatively large and organized. There are a number of organizations
to get involved with Casa Dominicana and Dominican-American Midwest Association. They are fairly organized and host an annual Dominican event for the city. The Chicago area has the highest percentage of Dominican-Americans, may who are small business owners and professionals, such as Rafael Nunez-Cedeno, a linguistics professor at UIC. Do look him up and get active with DAMA. If interested you can send me a PM. Let me know how I can best assist you.

If there wasnt before then Sammy Sosa made some areas.

joyce jimenez

Sep 10, 2004
Dominicans in Chicago

I live in the suburbs of Chicago and I know of at least 5 dominicans that live in Chicago. MY ex-husband, and my 2 stepchilren, and my three kids. I know I probably dont count, because I am an american, even though I lived in the DR for 10 years. :)

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
There are actually over 15,000 Dominicans in your general area. There are also many active organizations. I myself lived there for several years. Interestingly enough, the Chicago area has the highest percentage of Dominican-Americans. That is born or naturalized Americans of Dominican descent. This can be very beneficial in terms of harnessing political clout on behalf of Dominicans across the nation.

Best,
D
joyce jimenez said:
I live in the suburbs of Chicago and I know of at least 5 dominicans that live in Chicago. MY ex-husband, and my 2 stepchilren, and my three kids. I know I probably dont count, because I am an american, even though I lived in the DR for 10 years. :)

ChynaRed

Mar 24, 2004
Anyone know of any Dominican hair salons in the chicago or surrounding suburban area?

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
15,000?????

I've lived in the Chicago area all of my life. I'd be surprised if there were 1,500 Dominican families in the Chicago metropolitan area. I know of two Dominican families north of Cook County up to Kenosha County. Yes, you have the "Dominican Club" in Chicago, but its just a bar in Humboldt Park, not a real club. This white boy ain't go'in anywhere near Humboldt Park. That'd be as stupid as me going to Jackson Heights. Given what I do for a living here and my language ability, I'd certainly know of more Dominican families around there than I do if those Dominican families were around. Other than baseball players, they just aren't around here. Why not? Because they weren't to begin with.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
I was actually looking at that general region which is all of IL, MI, and IN, but I'll double check my figures. I'll get back to you on this.

Based on my findings the Dominicans in the region are spread out, more educated, and thus can afford to live outside of city limits. I lived in Chi-town for a few years and I met many dominicans. IL region also has the highest percentage of Dominican adult citizens in the country, yes even higher than NY. Most dominicans there are either in private industry or business owners but tend to be DL.

Chicago is the mosts racially segregated city in the country (proven and by personal experience). So Yes Humbolt park is special like that. And just like you are unwilling to step into Humbolt Park are many Dominicans that don't really go beyond their 20 block radius. This is why ya'll don't know where the other Dominicans are at.

There are actually two Dominican clubs: Casa Dominican (which you are refering to) and Dominican- American Midwest Alliance.

KenoshaChris said:
I've lived in the Chicago area all of my life. I'd be surprised if there were 1,500 Dominican families in the Chicago metropolitan area. I know of two Dominican families north of Cook County up to Kenosha County. Yes, you have the "Dominican Club" in Chicago, but its just a bar in Humboldt Park, not a real club. This white boy ain't go'in anywhere near Humboldt Park. That'd be as stupid as me going to Jackson Heights. Given what I do for a living here and my language ability, I'd certainly know of more Dominican families around there than I do if those Dominican families were around. Other than baseball players, they just aren't around here. Why not? Because they weren't to begin with.

Don Tomas

Jun 22, 2004
KenoshaChris said:

Actually there are 1610 Dominicans in Chicago as of the 2000 Census, probably higher 4 years later. Great site I found listing Dominicans in the US.

http://www.nd.edu/~iuplr/cic/ethnic_place_htmlfiles/5_dominican_place.html

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
unbelievable but true

Don Tomas said:
Actually there are 1610 Dominicans in Chicago as of the 2000 Census, probably higher 4 years later. Great site I found listing Dominicans in the US.

http://www.nd.edu/~iuplr/cic/ethnic_place_htmlfiles/5_dominican_place.html

The smallest state in the country is ranked #4 as the highest population of dominicans. I live in Providence trust me, they should change the city name to Santo Domingo LOL. If you come to visit you will notice they try to paint the houses and commercial properties like they do in D.R....pink, yellow, lime green and painted signs to just to make it seem more like the D.R. LOL its great you gotta love it here.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Corrected numbers

I did cite the wrong numbers. The figure I mistakenly referred to was for the NoVA-DC-MD area. My apologies.

There are about over 7000 Dominicans in the IN-IL-MI area
As of the 2000 census, there was a pop of 3,450 in IL, 2045 in MI. I was not able to calculate the IN numbers but I estimated them to be about the same as the population found in MI.

Three factors that need to be taken into account: 1) There has been a population growth due to migration and births (I am assuming small to negligible death rates given that we are a relatively young demographic). 2) There is a 25% of misrepresentation adjustment that is not reflected here due to the screw up in the last census that affected Dominicans royally; and 3) There are many mixed people do not desire or just don't identify as Dominicans. Thus, this 7000 figure is really much higher.

Again I offer my apologies if I caused you any confusion.

CubsBrs1

Dec 9, 2004
Deelt,

I'm curious why you think that more affluent people live outside the city. I live in the city, and my impression is that it's more expensive to live here. Most people move out to the suburbs to get more for their money (land, sq. ft., etc.). Additionally, do you have anything to support your claim of Chicago as the most racially segragated city in the country? I'd be interested to see that in a study. I live near Uptown, and it's one of the most diverse areas I've ever seen. It's nicknamed Chicago's United Nations.

If anyone knows of a good Dominican restaurant in Chicago I'd be grateful for the tip...

deelt said:
I was actually looking at that general region which is all of IL, MI, and IN, but I'll double check my figures. I'll get back to you on this.

Based on my findings the Dominicans in the region are spread out, more educated, and thus can afford to live outside of city limits. I lived in Chi-town for a few years and I met many dominicans. IL region also has the highest percentage of Dominican adult citizens in the country, yes even higher than NY. Most dominicans there are either in private industry or business owners but tend to be DL.

Chicago is the mosts racially segregated city in the country (proven and by personal experience). So Yes Humbolt park is special like that. And just like you are unwilling to step into Humbolt Park are many Dominicans that don't really go beyond their 20 block radius. This is why ya'll don't know where the other Dominicans are at.

There are actually two Dominican clubs: Casa Dominican (which you are refering to) and Dominican- American Midwest Alliance.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Hi Cubs,

While I respect your perspective, I have lived in the North side in the late 90s and I did see MAJOR segregation there in terms of night to day changes by crossing a street. Also, one of the multiple degrees I have is on Urban Planning so I've read a bit on the subject.

The subject of Chicagos segregation and the occupation of inner city are subjects very well covered through research. The dynamic of all inner cities is that the more expensive land is dominated by the lower-income folks. It's a worldwide phenomenon of industrialized countries (and even some not so industrialized). This is why the (more recent) gentrification trend is so bittersweet. Cities need people with higher income but it really comes at the cost of people with limit to minimal income that can afford to commute in to the city. It cost much more to commute from Aurora/Schaumber than from Belmont to the Loop.

Latinos are driving a lot of the migration trends in Chi-town. Here is a a new study being conducted at Harvard. The exec summary touches on some of the driving factors. Page 17 shows the very clear and obvious delineation between the white population and where everyone else lives:

http://www.civilrightsproject.harvard.edu/research/metro/Final Chicago Paper Part 1.pdf

I have a book that also breaks this down in terms of public service provision and it's also pretty deep. But in terms of research a few years ago a study was done on the population of the South side. One of the major findings was that a significant percentage of this demographic had never been to the Loop.
This finding was compared to two or three majoy cities with a similar demographic, population and economic make-up.

If you want to read on the subject you can check it out from a historical perspective:

Citation source: http://enceladus.isr.umich.edu/race/historicalstudies.html
Arnold R. Hirsch, 1982. Making the Second Ghetto: Race and Housing in Chicago: 1940-1960. New York: Cambridge University Press.

Books by Spear and the Chicago Commission on the Riot provide detailed information about the strategies used to produce the first or World War I ghetto in Chicago. After World War II, different strategies were used to prevent racial residential integration. Hirsch does a marvelous job of describing the various federal, state and local policies that made certain that blacks and whites would seldom live together in metropolitan Chicago

Another book that discusses it was in terms of community level impact Rules of Radicals by Saul Alinsky and Going Public my Michael Gecan. It was the impetus to finding of the oldest grassroots organization called Industrial Areas Foundation.

happy reading :glasses: ,
D

CubsBrs1 said:
Deelt,

I'm curious why you think that more affluent people live outside the city. I live in the city, and my impression is that it's more expensive to live here. Most people move out to the suburbs to get more for their money (land, sq. ft., etc.). Additionally, do you have anything to support your claim of Chicago as the most racially segragated city in the country? I'd be interested to see that in a study. I live near Uptown, and it's one of the most diverse areas I've ever seen. It's nicknamed Chicago's United Nations.

If anyone knows of a good Dominican restaurant in Chicago I'd be grateful for the tip...

sachamay

Jun 21, 2005
Dominican salons in Chicago!

ChynaRed said:
Anyone know of any Dominican hair salons in the chicago or surrounding suburban area?

Hi,

I know of two ladies here who do my hair. One is Milady's in Western Ave (south side) 773-376-0187 and Lucia in Melrose Park (i can get you her number later).

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
it amazes me just how these people from these tropical countries wind up in these freezing cold northern cities in the us..and stick it out and flourish. chicago is a beautiful city..but in the winter..a nightmare..for me at least.

Mz. Bell

Jul 11, 2005
Where are the Dominican hair salons in the chicagoland area

Thank you.

CubsBrs1

Dec 9, 2004
Thanks Deet, but I don?t need a Harvard study to tell me about my city. You?re very hung up on Chicago being a segregated city. While you?re busy thumbing through your references, I?ll tell you how it really is. And I?m sorry Kenosha Chris, Humboldt Park? Scary? My word, have you seen real estate prices there recently? It?s sketchy in some areas, yes, but overall it?s a great area and it?s diversity is what is actually attracting people there. Yes, the poor will eventually have to move out. That is an old story, and it happens everywhere in the world.

I completely forgot about this thread but for some reason thought about it today. It's clear that you are well read on the subject of urban planning, and I'm sure that your textbooks tell you quite a bit about the history of Chicago and its segregation. However, textbooks are textbooks, real life is real life. Chicago is racially segregated, but hardly more than any other town, suburb, or what have you. Here, I?ll even quote one of your fine literary sources, ?Given population increases by several different minority groups, the growth of multi-ethnic neighborhoods is notable, particularly in the suburbs, where the number of such Census tracts increased by 250 percent (from 38 to 96) in just ten years.?

You?re also trying to tell me that there are 1610 Dominicans in Chicago, and therefore there is a higher percentage of Dominicans here than in NYC? Are you insane? Washington Heights? Ever hear of it? Believe me, I wish there were more Dominicans here, I would eat Dominican food almost every night if I could. And the music would much more interesting. We could use some bachata to break up the monotony.

This quote, however, takes the cake: ?The dynamic of all inner cities is that the more expensive land is dominated by the lower-income folks.? Gosh, and this whole time I thought higher income people lived on more expensive land. What a fool I was.

Deet, we are segregated here, but my neighborhood is dominated by mixed races, religions, incomes, hetero, homosexual, homeless, mansions, dogs, cats, rats, and everything else. Some neighborhoods are like this, and some aren?t, it depends on where you go. We're all Chicagoans, and more than any other large city I've ever been in, we try to take care of our own.

Again, does anyone know of one true Dominican restaurant in Chicago? I would greatly appreciate any leads.

deelt said:
Hi Cubs,

While I respect your perspective, I have lived in the North side in the late 90s and I did see MAJOR segregation there in terms of night to day changes by crossing a street. Also, one of the multiple degrees I have is on Urban Planning so I've read a bit on the subject.

The subject of Chicagos segregation and the occupation of inner city are subjects very well covered through research. The dynamic of all inner cities is that the more expensive land is dominated by the lower-income folks. It's a worldwide phenomenon of industrialized countries (and even some not so industrialized). This is why the (more recent) gentrification trend is so bittersweet. Cities need people with higher income but it really comes at the cost of people with limit to minimal income that can afford to commute in to the city. It cost much more to commute from Aurora/Schaumber than from Belmont to the Loop.

Latinos are driving a lot of the migration trends in Chi-town. Here is a a new study being conducted at Harvard. The exec summary touches on some of the driving factors. Page 17 shows the very clear and obvious delineation between the white population and where everyone else lives:

http://www.civilrightsproject.harvard.edu/research/metro/Final Chicago Paper Part 1.pdf

I have a book that also breaks this down in terms of public service provision and it's also pretty deep. But in terms of research a few years ago a study was done on the population of the South side. One of the major findings was that a significant percentage of this demographic had never been to the Loop.
This finding was compared to two or three majoy cities with a similar demographic, population and economic make-up.

If you want to read on the subject you can check it out from a historical perspective:

Citation source: http://enceladus.isr.umich.edu/race/historicalstudies.html
Arnold R. Hirsch, 1982. Making the Second Ghetto: Race and Housing in Chicago: 1940-1960. New York: Cambridge University Press.

Books by Spear and the Chicago Commission on the Riot provide detailed information about the strategies used to produce the first or World War I ghetto in Chicago. After World War II, different strategies were used to prevent racial residential integration. Hirsch does a marvelous job of describing the various federal, state and local policies that made certain that blacks and whites would seldom live together in metropolitan Chicago

Another book that discusses it was in terms of community level impact Rules of Radicals by Saul Alinsky and Going Public my Michael Gecan. It was the impetus to finding of the oldest grassroots organization called Industrial Areas Foundation.

happy reading :glasses: ,
D

BrasdeLait

Mar 13, 2005
you can't be serious? 1500 dominicans in chicago?i crossed paths with 20,000 here in montreal at the dominican merengue festival last week. 99% were surley lively here.

check your nbrs. that can't be correct. the home of sammy sosa? por favor! say it ain't so, sam.