Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I was wondering what you think about

I'm wondering what people think about an idea I have for a service for people living in DR. Since I travel to DR every month to see my son and I don't get my bags searched when coming thru customs, I was thinking of offering a service where I would buy things for people. Electronics, hard to come by items that aren't too big, and specialty items that you can't get in DR. I would charge a commission on top of the items cost. And I could meet the person in STI or SDQ so they could pick up their item. My insurance against none payment would be a 7 day cash back for most items purchased in NYC.

It's just an idea but I figured I'd throw it out there and see what people thought.
    Last edited by santanatwins; 09-02-2004 at 03:58 AM.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm stupid

so i'm not following whether you are buying things in NYC to TAKE to RD ,or buying in RD to bring back for people? The "specialty items that you can only get in RD" is what's not making sense to me
    Last edited by bcmike; 09-01-2004 at 06:55 PM. Reason: I'm stupid

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sorry about the typo

I meant to say......things you can't get in DR. I only thought about this since every now and then I see post about someone wanting to buy a digital camera or some piece of electronic equipment.

Again bringing things into DR from US not the other way around.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

A comission, on top of the retail???? Man I thought we were friends, especially when we are neighbors (paraiso, santiago). Nevermind, I was going to ask you to bring me a small package. I will wait till larry comes here.

AZB

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Commission

Quote Originally Posted by AZB
    A comission, on top of the retail???? Man I thought we were friends, especially when we are neighbors (paraiso, santiago). Nevermind, I was going to ask you to bring me a small package. I will wait till larry comes here.

AZB
    Hey, I brought you some stuff and never got any commission. In fact I think you still owe me some money. Please remit funds ASAP.
    Charlie

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb SO I take it, it's a bad idea

I guess no one likes the idea. Or maybe no one wants to say it's a good idea. Either way, I think I will look into it, maybe not for the ex pat market but maybe for the local dominican people.

I know some of you have found yourselves wishing you had something that was easily attainable when you lived abroad. I myself find I wish I had access to certain things as simple as magazines, books, food items, but it's not financially feasible to go to US every month just to get a $30 item.

Something to think about.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Not a bad idea

Quote Originally Posted by santanatwins
    I guess no one likes the idea. Or maybe no one wants to say it's a good idea. Either way, I think I will look into it, maybe not for the ex pat market but maybe for the local dominican people.

I know some of you have found yourselves wishing you had something that was easily attainable when you lived abroad. I myself find I wish I had access to certain things as simple as magazines, books, food items, but it's not financially feasible to go to US every month just to get a $30 item.

Something to think about.
    Your idea is sound. Finding the cliental on the other hand may be difficult. I think that what you may find is that most of the people who could use a service like this have the funds to have these items UPSíed to them and donít worry about the costs.

A good example is my ex-boss had 2 cases of dog food shipped to Casa de Campo with only 3 days left on his visit.
    Charlie

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chuckuindy
    Your idea is sound. Finding the cliental on the other hand may be difficult. I think that what you may find is that most of the people who could use a service like this have the funds to have these items UPSíed to them and donít worry about the costs.

A good example is my ex-boss had 2 cases of dog food shipped to Casa de Campo with only 3 days left on his visit.
    Charlie
    Wow! He must have had a lot of dogs........or only a few but really BIG ones.
    I agree that finding the clientele may be difficult. Many expats have friends/relatives coming to stay with them for a holiday, & these people will bring goods which are required. And then again, there are those who have adjusted to life without the Branston pickle......so their need for this sort of a service may be limited. By & large expats who are survivors will make their own arrangements or do without.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Chucky, not a bad idea but finding the clientele will be hard. The people that permanently moved to DR let go of a lot of stuff they cant find just because of that fact, so no le hace falta.

I think that there are more items we cant find here in the States from DR than the other way around. Im always looking for people to bring me Lemisol and Cachu Victorina...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What about this question........

What are some of the small things you miss and can't find?

It can be something you miss and can't find now that you live in DR or something that's only available in DR and now you live in the states.
    As LaPinea has noted in the above post.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast