I was wondering what you think about

santanatwins

Jan 20, 2004
I'm wondering what people think about an idea I have for a service for people living in DR. Since I travel to DR every month to see my son and I don't get my bags searched when coming thru customs, I was thinking of offering a service where I would buy things for people. Electronics, hard to come by items that aren't too big, and specialty items that you can't get in DR. I would charge a commission on top of the items cost. And I could meet the person in STI or SDQ so they could pick up their item. My insurance against none payment would be a 7 day cash back for most items purchased in NYC.

It's just an idea but I figured I'd throw it out there and see what people thought.

Last edited:

bcmike

Jan 29, 2004
I'm stupid

:confused: so i'm not following whether you are buying things in NYC to TAKE to RD ,or buying in RD to bring back for people? The "specialty items that you can only get in RD" is what's not making sense to me

Last edited:

santanatwins

Jan 20, 2004
Sorry about the typo

I meant to say......things you can't get in DR. I only thought about this since every now and then I see post about someone wanting to buy a digital camera or some piece of electronic equipment.

Again bringing things into DR from US not the other way around.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
A comission, on top of the retail???? Man I thought we were friends, especially when we are neighbors (paraiso, santiago). Nevermind, I was going to ask you to bring me a small package. I will wait till larry comes here.
:(
AZB

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Commission

AZB said:
A comission, on top of the retail???? Man I thought we were friends, especially when we are neighbors (paraiso, santiago). Nevermind, I was going to ask you to bring me a small package. I will wait till larry comes here.
:(
AZB

Hey, I brought you some stuff and never got any commission. In fact I think you still owe me some money. Please remit funds ASAP.
Charlie

santanatwins

Jan 20, 2004
SO I take it, it's a bad idea

I guess no one likes the idea. Or maybe no one wants to say it's a good idea. Either way, I think I will look into it, maybe not for the ex pat market but maybe for the local dominican people.

I know some of you have found yourselves wishing you had something that was easily attainable when you lived abroad. I myself find I wish I had access to certain things as simple as magazines, books, food items, but it's not financially feasible to go to US every month just to get a $30 item.

Something to think about.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Not a bad idea

santanatwins said:
I guess no one likes the idea. Or maybe no one wants to say it's a good idea. Either way, I think I will look into it, maybe not for the ex pat market but maybe for the local dominican people.

I know some of you have found yourselves wishing you had something that was easily attainable when you lived abroad. I myself find I wish I had access to certain things as simple as magazines, books, food items, but it's not financially feasible to go to US every month just to get a $30 item.

Something to think about.
Your idea is sound. Finding the cliental on the other hand may be difficult. I think that what you may find is that most of the people who could use a service like this have the funds to have these items UPS?ed to them and don?t worry about the costs.

A good example is my ex-boss had 2 cases of dog food shipped to Casa de Campo with only 3 days left on his visit.
Charlie

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
chuckuindy said:
Your idea is sound. Finding the cliental on the other hand may be difficult. I think that what you may find is that most of the people who could use a service like this have the funds to have these items UPS?ed to them and don?t worry about the costs.

A good example is my ex-boss had 2 cases of dog food shipped to Casa de Campo with only 3 days left on his visit.
Charlie

Wow! He must have had a lot of dogs........or only a few but really BIG ones.
I agree that finding the clientele may be difficult. Many expats have friends/relatives coming to stay with them for a holiday, & these people will bring goods which are required. And then again, there are those who have adjusted to life without the Branston pickle......so their need for this sort of a service may be limited. By & large expats who are survivors will make their own arrangements or do without.

LaPinea

Mar 18, 2004
I agree with Chucky, not a bad idea but finding the clientele will be hard. The people that permanently moved to DR let go of a lot of stuff they cant find just because of that fact, so no le hace falta.

I think that there are more items we cant find here in the States from DR than the other way around. Im always looking for people to bring me Lemisol and Cachu Victorina...

santanatwins

Jan 20, 2004
What about this question........

What are some of the small things you miss and can't find?

It can be something you miss and can't find now that you live in DR or something that's only available in DR and now you live in the states.
As LaPinea has noted in the above post.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I sent Molding Clay and Bedsheets this week via a friend that flew in from Texas and to Santiago through NY. I didn't even charge for my gas and tolls. This is what friends do for friends as long as the friends don't become TOO MUCH OF A PAIN IN THE ARSE.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Escott said:
I sent Molding Clay and Bedsheets this week via a friend that flew in from Texas and to Santiago through NY. I didn't even charge for my gas and tolls. This is what friends do for friends as long as the friends don't become TOO MUCH OF A PAIN IN THE ARSE.
So I see that you would do that for a friend (a female friend) and me???? My damn projector? Not worth the effort i guess.
AZB :( counting days till larry arrives.

santanatwins

Jan 20, 2004
Perfect example of item .....

If you read the post by Franco on the radio he bought. Your talking about a small fm radio no bigger than a small shoe box. weighs less than 5 lbs and cost under $100. But he wound up paying over $100 in duty.....

10% on an item of $100 is only $10 USD. If I had purchased the item in NYC the day before I left and brought it to STi, he would have saved $90. If for some reason he didn't pay, I could simply return the item for a full refund.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
AZB said:
So I see that you would do that for a friend (a female friend) and me???? My damn projector? Not worth the effort i guess.
AZB :( counting days till larry arrives.
The female friend didn't bug the crap out of me every day calling me from the DR. You want me to deliver a projector to Queens 100 miles away even though Larry is coming the week after and he is 15 miles away.

I also got to see another FRIEND of mine at the Airport who I do business with and just enjoy and hung with him for a couple of hours.

So, considering you wouldn't even talk to me the week before you asked me to lay out 1350 US dollars for you which I did and considering I lined up the delivery of the projector with another friend which I am arranging for, you should be thankful and not be asking me to drive a few hundred miles so you can get it a week earlier. But what the hell do I know? Funny part of all of this is that he wants to charge you for it so you went back to plan A anyway. LOL

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Escott said:
The female friend didn't bug the crap out of me every day calling me from the DR. You want me to deliver a projector to Queens 100 miles away even though Larry is coming the week after and he is 15 miles away.

I also got to see another FRIEND of mine at the Airport who I do business with and just enjoy and hung with him for a couple of hours.

So, considering you wouldn't even talk to me the week before you asked me to lay out 1350 US dollars for you which I did and considering I lined up the delivery of the projector with another friend which I am arranging for, you should be thankful and not be asking me to drive a few hundred miles so you can get it a week earlier. But what the hell do I know? Funny part of all of this is that he wants to charge you for it so you went back to plan A anyway. LOL

Okis, plan A again.
why did you have to give out the actual price? I was telling folks it was much higher. Now my cover is blown. :(

Don't worry, you shall be generously awarded for your effort.
AZB (planning a projector party)

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
enjoy is right!

I can vouch for the home movie theatre... watched The Sting last week with AZB with the old technology projector, and loved it.

Hey, that's it: the old projector was good enough for me-- can someone deliver it to Sosua? Larry? When you're dropping off that state-of-the-art one, your home delivery service, how about a pickup for me??

santanatwins, I would be interested in such a service. I'm very much like Sally... I like what I like, nothing else will do, and 10% commission sounds better than fretting about couriers and how much tax will be charged when whatever it is finally gets here.

And I would MUCH rather pay than weigh down friends with very weird, very heavy stuff... I can't stand the guilt and worry. This week alone, one friend was nearly lynched at the airport for smuggling in plastic explosives, or so it seemed. I'd be thrilled to pay 10% commission and lose all that guilt and worry. heehee.

And another friend was doing me a favor and driving my car in Santiago when it seemed the engine exploded. He was sitting directly in front of a main bank entrance when it happened and all the guards came running, their guns in hand. "Please don't shoot," he yelled. whew, that was a close one. btw, a radiator hose had given out.

Anyway, if you are willing to sign a little waiver... that I'm not responsible for any injuries or incarcerations, etc, etc, ... I'd LOVE to use your service.

Soon, I will need to bring in metal ingots and strange food items like galanga root. NO SUBSTITUTES. But trust me, everything I need is sure to raise eyebrows and possibly guns.

Thanks a million in advance!

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
hee, I was just playing with what is bare naked truth, because some of the things I most need to get here are a little unusual. Does it raise a legitimate concern, that certain goods would be problematic at customs?

I haven't used EPS or UPS because I think it's a big headache to play roulette with the import duties of the day. I sincerely am interested in a service coming here, and would find a 10% surcharge worthwhile.

You may rue the day, though. :)

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
dawnwil said:
I can vouch for the home movie theatre... watched The Sting last week with AZB with the old technology projector, and loved it.

Hey, that's it: the old projector was good enough for me-- can someone deliver it to Sosua? Larry? When you're dropping off that state-of-the-art one, your home delivery service, how about a pickup for me??

Sure Dawn. Actually, I think AZB is going to be the happiest guy in the word when I finally deliver this projector. BTW AZB, the day I come with the projector we are NOT spending the entire day setting this damn thing up! We are going to Jarabacoa to get wives.
Larry