English teen moving to Sosua, DR

Domin

Aug 28, 2004
I'm moving to Sosua in DR in april with my father. I'm currently live in the UK though. How well do you think I will be accepted by other people my age. I will be 16 when I move there.

Thanks for any advice
C x

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I was 17 when I moved down and although I arrived in Santo Domingo, people accepted me pretty well... learning spanish quickly really helps a lot.

My most important suggestion: Don't believe what the guys say on the streets. If they say they want to marry you, laugh. If they say you're the most beautiful woman in the world, laugh. If they say something which I can't mention on this board, run. :confused:

Hope you have fun!

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I was 14 when I lived there. From what I've observed, most things haven't changed. As foreigners, we were magnets for every type. It can be difficult to see through the b#ll $hitt, but possible.
Appreciate the positive attention, but keep your defenses up.
Before I returned to the US, I had received 2 marriage proposals. I know one had a girlfriend, and it was hard to say no to the other. So I asked him to come over and properly ask my dad. He never showed up. I never saw him again.
I did have a boyfriend. His family probably had more money than mine did. I was lucky he was respectful of me. We broke up before I returned to the states. I'll always wonder what happened to him.
Enjoy the new, wonderful, colorful culture. New sights, sounds, etc. Learn to dance merengue from the locals. It's a lot of fun!
This experience can be one of the best experiences of your life.
Enjoy.
mkohn

jerryme

Feb 1, 2004
I think every gringo woman who gets in a taxi or on the back of a motorcoahie gets a propsal.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Domin said:
I'm moving to Sosua in DR in april with my father. I'm currently live in the UK though. How well do you think I will be accepted by other people my age. I will be 16 when I move there.

Thanks for any advice
C x

The lovely thing about the Dominicans is they accept ALL nationalities (except possibly the Haitians) into their midst without so much as a "by your lrave". If you are pleasant, wary, friendly & prepared to enjoy THEIR culture rather than imposing a European or North American one, you will have absolutely no problems (other than the ones mentioned above, over attention from the boys looking for an easy life!!).

Where in Sosua are you going to? What will your father be doing here? Have you been to the DR before - like on holiday? How many times? Do you speak Spanish already or are you studying Spanish hard right now? Where in England are you coming from? We came from South Bucks 14 years ago & love it here. - Grahame.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
KateP said:
I was 17 when I moved down and although I arrived in Santo Domingo, people accepted me pretty well... learning spanish quickly really helps a lot.

My most important suggestion: Don't believe what the guys say on the streets. If they say they want to marry you, laugh. If they say you're the most beautiful woman in the world, laugh. If they say something which I can't mention on this board, run. :confused:

Hope you have fun!

True true true! Watch out for those "tigres" unless that's what you are coming down here for. Then, have fun and make that "tigre" wear protection because they don't.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
mkohn said:
I was 14 when I lived there. From what I've observed, most things haven't changed. As foreigners, we were magnets for every type. It can be difficult to see through the b#ll $hitt, but possible.
Appreciate the positive attention, but keep your defenses up.
Before I returned to the US, I had received 2 marriage proposals. I know one had a girlfriend, and it was hard to say no to the other. So I asked him to come over and properly ask my dad. He never showed up. I never saw him again.
I did have a boyfriend. His family probably had more money than mine did. I was lucky he was respectful of me. We broke up before I returned to the states. I'll always wonder what happened to him.
Enjoy the new, wonderful, colorful culture. New sights, sounds, etc. Learn to dance merengue from the locals. It's a lot of fun!
This experience can be one of the best experiences of your life.
Enjoy.
mkohn

Very good points! You seem to know what is going on down here. The object is to get off that rock they live on. And that is to get you to fall in love with them, marry them and take them with you. Once you are settled in, the "primo" or "prima" shows up on your door step. Do you know who that is? Ha ha ha ha...that is the husband or wife of "your newfound love". While you are busy working your butt off to make a good home for "your love" the "primo" or "prima" is having a great time with "your love" at your expense. Beware, it happened to a co worker of mine and he comitted suicide because of it. The love of his life ended up taking him for everything he owned and is now living happily ever after with her "primo" while he lays in a grave. Don't buy the "primo" BS!

britishgirl

Aug 28, 2004
Don't know where in Sosua but my Father will own and run a small hotel but keep his business and house in the UK incase things do not go to plan in Dominican Republic. Yes I have been to Dominican Republic twice before (to Casa Marina Hotel in Sosua both times) and we love it there. I know very little spanish, just the basics! I'm from South Wales which is right next to England (don't know if you've heard of a small city called Cardiff, thats the capital of Wales).
The only I would be worrying about is the male attention out there. I know you have it for all the wrong reasons but it can be very intimidating.

carys

britishgirl

Aug 28, 2004
This is Britishgirl.

The reason Domin posted on Britishgirl is becuase I waqs still logged in. She is my sister which is why I ask on another post about real estate in Sosua. My father asked me to ask that. Yes we are possibly going to be moving soon. My father says he wants to be settled in Sosua by April! I do speak better spanish than my father and sister. I have practising very hard, I only get 2 spanish classes a week, but it is improving, I have been using an extra spanish progam which is also making me find my spanish classes easier. Holidays to the DR are also helpful. I have mentioned on the "real estate" thread that we have just returned drom the DR. Quite good for helping spanish skills! Also yes my sister Carys(Domin) and I are aware about the boys looking for an easy life. We have read all the sankie boards. I am not stupid, when they propose what else can you do but laugh!Thankyou.
Naomi xxx ;)

pas

Jun 7, 2004
hello...

you lucky girls...

wished it whas me going to live there....

have fun..

britishgirl said:
The reason Domin posted on Britishgirl is becuase I waqs still logged in. She is my sister which is why I ask on another post about real estate in Sosua. My father asked me to ask that. Yes we are possibly going to be moving soon. My father says he wants to be settled in Sosua by April! I do speak better spanish than my father and sister. I have practising very hard, I only get 2 spanish classes a week, but it is improving, I have been using an extra spanish progam which is also making me find my spanish classes easier. Holidays to the DR are also helpful. I have mentioned on the "real estate" thread that we have just returned drom the DR. Quite good for helping spanish skills! Also yes my sister Carys(Domin) and I are aware about the boys looking for an easy life. We have read all the sankie boards. I am not stupid, when they propose what else can you do but laugh!Thankyou.
Naomi xxx ;)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
britishgirl & Domin

"What else can you do but laugh?"............absolutely right! Even better is that there are 2 of you, so if you get hassle from the fellas here & the 2 of you are together, start laughing like it is some HUGE joke between you. Not the simpering giggle, the rip roaring guffaws, beloved by celebrating Cardiff Arms Parkers after a successful game........& watch the confused Dominican men leg it! Gestures indicating the size of a fun size mars bar help too! Seriously, hope the info on property was useful to your Dad. We built from scratch 4 years ago, having already been here 8 years. If your Dad is building, tell him to keep an eagle eye on the construction work.......things don't always work out according to plans!!

dominican lover

Aug 17, 2004
all will be well

Domin said:

Thanks for any advice
C x
All will be fine,dont worry, they are great people,they will make you welcome
they will also enjoy you speaking english to them,as they are keen to practice the english language,you will make many friends, have fun take care