basic question on cost of living

jnirenberg

Sep 3, 2004
Sorry if newbies come to the forum and ask this all the time but---I'm wondering if someone can give me an estimate of what an expat living in the DR, who rents an apartment, might need. What's a typcial monthly cost of living with rent on a one or two bedroom place and all the usual living expenses (assuming one doesn't expect to join posh golf clubs, etc.).

I'm debating coming to start my own small biz and I'm curious what I'd spend in the early months on my living before getting the business up to speed.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Jud Nirenberg jnirenberg@hotmail.com

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Please read the many posts on this topic, hundreds infact.

What budget works for one, doesn't work for another.

I would go away, read everything on this site and come back with specific questions and you will get detailed specific answers.

Right now your asking us, "how long is a piece of string?" :)

This site is the largest pool of knowledge on the Dominican Republic, use it right and it will reward you in ways you never imagined.

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
Sorry if I deviate form the subject of the thread but..

May I be curious and ask you what kind of business you are considering starting up?

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
jnirenberg said:
Sorry if newbies come to the forum and ask this all the time but---I'm wondering if someone can give me an estimate of what an expat living in the DR, who rents an apartment, might need. What's a typcial monthly cost of living with rent on a one or two bedroom place and all the usual living expenses (assuming one doesn't expect to join posh golf clubs, etc.).

I'm debating coming to start my own small biz and I'm curious what I'd spend in the early months on my living before getting the business up to speed.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Jud Nirenberg jnirenberg@hotmail.com

I think this is a fair question considering how drastically prices change on a daily basis in some areas.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
sjh said:
the short answer, is that it is possible to live on $500 a month here, but most people need at least 4 times that amount
I think we need some caveats. You can live with as little as 100 USD, but I don't think he'd like it. 500 USD won't take you far in Santo Domingo, maybe when the USD was at 55 it was good for something, at this point, barely enough for food.