book stores

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
jnirenberg said:
I'm not familiar with Sosua or Santo D. Can anyone tell me if there are any good English language book shops in either place, or where one buys books?

jnirenberg@hotmail.com
As best as I know, there are no good English book stores in or around Sosua. You would stand a much better chance in Santo Domingo.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
In Santo Domingo you can find:

Thesaurus - Abraham Lincoln Ave. http://www.thesaurus.com.do
Cuesta Centro del Libro - 27 de Febrero esq. Abraham Lincoln
Bookstore (shop?) - Bella Vista Mall
New Horizons Bookshop - Sarasota Ave.

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
jnirenberg said:
I'm not familiar with Sosua or Santo D. Can anyone tell me if there are any good English language book shops in either place, or where one buys books?

jnirenberg@hotmail.com

I am not sure what you mean by "good English language book shops" ?

See the recommendations by KateP. That is as good as it gets in Santo Domingo. The selection is nothing to get excited about and the choice of books are somewhat odd. But go there and browse! Maybe they have exactly what you are looking for?

Let me add that Thesaurus has a very nice cafe on the second floor, with big windows for a view (mostly of traffic, but still...). Go there for lunch or just a coffee and pecanpie.

The above is my opinion! For better or worse...

Last edited:

gatoazul

Aug 24, 2004
Thesaurus in Santiago

There is also a Thesaurus book store in Santiago. It's on Centro Plaza Internacional, on the corner of av. Juan Pablo Duarte and calle Ponce.

Also, Cuesta Centro del Libro is inside Supermercado Nacional de Santiago, on the corner of av. Estrella Sadhala and av. 27 de febrero.

Gatoazul

DogsRule

Apr 14, 2004
Bringing Down Books

Escott said:
In Sosua we bring down books and exchange with other expats. I bring a dozen at least every time I travel and Beg others to bring also.

Scott

There must be a reason, but since I don't know the answer, why don't you just order them on line and have them sent to you either through that service in Miami or whatever? Obviously I don't live there, but plan to in not-too-distant-future and assumed that was a reasonable option.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
DogsRule said:
There must be a reason, but since I don't know the answer, why don't you just order them on line and have them sent to you either through that service in Miami or whatever? Obviously I don't live there, but plan to in not-too-distant-future and assumed that was a reasonable option.

Cost of shipping, books are heavy!

Plus the problem with some online shops of shipping to a different destination to the card holders billing address.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
KateP said:
In Santo Domingo you can find:

Thesaurus - Abraham Lincoln Ave. http://www.thesaurus.com.do
Cuesta Centro del Libro - 27 de Febrero esq. Abraham Lincoln
Bookstore (shop?) - Bella Vista Mall
New Horizons Bookshop - Sarasota Ave.

Just a quick fyi - The bookstore in Bella Vista Mall is a branch of the New Horizons Bookshop on Sarasota.

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
I have a question?

Does anyone of these Bookstores carry a good/great book in Spanish/ English on Juan Pablo Duarte, Gregorio Luper?n, or any other great Dominican patriot/Founding Father? Any book on Dominican politics [Seriously]?
Also any other bookstore that carries a book on any of those fellows or other important subject on DR.

Pm me, any help would be appreciated.
Also has anybody heard of General Gregorio Luper?n's publication entitled "El Destierro"? Is there a copy available, it was first published in 1875. Even though it's quite over 120 years old, I would like to know if Dominicans treasure books in National Archives as Americans do of the countries greatest National Heros.

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
Thesaurus

This bookstore on the corner of Ave. Lincoln and Sarasota has a "Dominican Authors" section on the 2nd floor right around the couch area. You might find what you need there.

Good luck !

capodominicano said:
Does anyone of these Bookstores carry a good/great book in Spanish/ English on Juan Pablo Duarte, Gregorio Luper?n, or any other great Dominican patriot/Founding Father? Any book on Dominican politics [Seriously]?
Also any other bookstore that carries a book on any of those fellows or other important subject on DR.

Pm me, any help would be appreciated.
Also has anybody heard of General Gregorio Luper?n's publication entitled "El Destierro"? Is there a copy available, it was first published in 1875. Even though it's quite over 120 years old, I would like to know if Dominicans treasure books in National Archives as Americans do of the countries greatest National Heros.