Pets?

wlongman

Sep 4, 2004
Hi, What are the requirements for American's bringing pets into the country? Is there a quarrantine? How long? (Indoor cat). Looking to move in a few years.

Thanks for any assistance you can give!

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
We're moving down to the DR maybe next week, and it dosn't look too easy to get pets into the country. My kids really want to take their pet guinea pig, does anyone out there have experience with bringing pets in. Is there anyway to bring "Binny" with us?

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
never mind, gave the guinea pig to my neighbors kids, promised my kids we'd get a puppy when we get to SD. Good Luck with your Kitty.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Naufrago said:
never mind, gave the guinea pig to my neighbors kids, promised my kids we'd get a puppy when we get to SD. Good Luck with your Kitty.

Just in case your kids insist on getting another guinea pig, La Jungla in Santo Domingo sometimes has some. Saw one the other day squeezed in with the bunnies...

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
wlongman said:
Hi, What are the requirements for American's bringing pets into the country? Is there a quarrantine? How long? (Indoor cat). Looking to move in a few years.

Thanks for any assistance you can give!

No quarantine for dogs or cats as long as they have been issued a clean bill of health from certified vet with all necessary shots (must include rabies) within 30 days of the date of entry to the DR.

Our cat came in a soft carrier under our seat in the plane and since she was quiet and the bag basically looks like a regular carry-on the official at customs didn't even notice that we had a cat with us. (this was before they set up the x-ray machine to check your bags as you exit) So I didn't volunteer to show the papers and we walked right through. I had all the necessary papers but I figured why ask to have to pay someone off to get the cat into the country.