shipping car

New2This

Sep 4, 2004
I like to know what are the procedures to ship a car from Canada to DR. What are the cost? Who to contact? What suggestions you might have or comments? Is it costly? How long does it take?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Why?

This is something that causes more ulcers than smiles.

Just get a good Customs Broker is all I can say. You will be paying a lot more than the shipping fee that Badpiece quoted you.

BTW: Badpiece Congratulations on getting through the convention without too much trouble!! LOL! :D:D

Good luck with the car, but let me ask: WHY? The best vehicles here are 4 x 4s from Japan with diesel engines. Toyota at the top of the list. Chevys with DMC diesels are a close second, and Nissans with diesel maybe third.
Nothing fragil will last here because of the road conditions, which, I should add, are better than most Latin American countries, but are seriously in need of major make-overs.

HB :D

New2This

Sep 4, 2004
Hillbilly said:
This is something that causes more ulcers than smiles.

Just get a good Customs Broker is all I can say. You will be paying a lot more than the shipping fee that Badpiece quoted you.

BTW: Badpiece Congratulations on getting through the convention without too much trouble!! LOL! :D:D

Good luck with the car, but let me ask: WHY? The best vehicles here are 4 x 4s from Japan with diesel engines. Toyota at the top of the list. Chevys with DMC diesels are a close second, and Nissans with diesel maybe third.
Nothing fragil will last here because of the road conditions, which, I should add, are better than most Latin American countries, but are seriously in need of major make-overs.

HB :D

Would you be able to give me an idea as to how much a vehicle would cost there in Dominican if purchased there. Give me an idea on price and models. I don't know much about purchasing there and the reason why I want to ship my car there is because I am thinking of moving there to give it a try. Maybe it's not good enough reason that people would think but I just want to try.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
There has been much written about shipping cars to the island in these forums and the general consensus is not to ship from overseas, better to purchase in the D.R. The reason is financial, logistical, and emotional.

You have to figure what the market value of your vehicle is, add transportation, insurance, and documentation costs - in the thousands, add in customs fees, taxes, and payoffs - in the thousands; then you arrive at an approximate figure as a value of your car, when totaled may be of higher cost then the purchase price of a new or good(?) used vehicle in the D.R.

The logisitics involves getting your car from point A to point B, means finding a reputable agent to handle the paperwork and hands-on arrangement of preparing and carriage of the vehicle and coordination of car's export from your home country to import in the D.R.

What $ price do you place on your emotions to handle the stress of this move. Some of the happenings you may encounter for example are: are the documents correct, where is my vehicle, where is the ship, when has it sailed, when will it arrive, can't contact my broker in the D.R., nobody speaks English, the phones are always busy, nobody wants to answer the phone, they can't find the papers, the car is in the impound yard, they can't find it, they won't release it, what is the duty, where to you pay the duty, the duty is too much, we can release you car sooner for a favor, the inspector says your car is too old to import, the papers are not in order - you have to go to this faraway office to correct it, the car has been in impound too long - the impound fees are increasing, the numbers on the matricula don't match the vin number, we're not open today - come back tomorrow, the inspector is at lunch, the inspector cannot do this only his jefe can - the jefe is not in today - comeback tomorrow. Catch my drift.

Regards,
PJT

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
I forgot to add to the emotions paragraph, ....you want me to pay for the wax job in the impound I did not ask for???? What's this.... about the radio?

Regards,
PJT

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
PJT, you said it all!

Unless that vehicle means a lot to you--on an emotional level--sell it and get something here.

A vehicle here in the DR is certainly more expensive than in the States, but as PJT put is so well, there are so many other costs involved, that you don't really feel like you have saved anything.

I will look up some of the prices for popular vehicles, like Toyota Corollas and Camrys, as well as Toyota pickups with diesel engines.

Later,

HB

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
For an idea of how much vehicles cost in The DR go to Super Carros. The cars in this website are a little overpriced, but I would say expect to pay around that much if you're not Dominican and/or don't know how to bargain the price down.
BTW the price to import a car just went down, as custom duties are pegged to the exchange rate of the US dollar, which has been droping in value for a couple of months now.

New2This

Sep 4, 2004
Hey Guys,

I really appreciate all the input that you guys have given me. I guess I'm thinking like a Canadian that "all will be ok" sort of speak. I have been going to DR for the past 6 years for my vacations and PJT, I understand you completely. My car is probably worth around $10,000 compared based on the classifides I see on the paper. I really don't think I can put up with stress and emotions that PJT has mention and top, it seems like the majority of the comments regards to shipping a car is not practical.

Just out of curiosity. Has anyone of you guys live in DR now (migrated to DR). If so, any suggestion or comments for me for a first timer moving to DR.

Thanks again everyone....

bugaloo

Mar 19, 2004
for good prices for used cars, consider travelling to Moca, about 2 hours from the sosua area (near santiago) Visit Espaillat motors or Turin Motors.

they sell cars for really good prices, way better than the sosua/cabarete area or santiago/santo domingo.

my 2 cents,

bugaloo.

claudius_2k

Apr 10, 2003
the cars in super-carros.com are overpriced, for more real prices in the internet you can check the ads in listin diario, listin.com.do

regards

wayne

Dec 25, 2003
I was quoted 2650.00us from Guelph Ontario to the DR by a company out of Montreal. I asked about door to door shipments but they will not do this he said I was on my own with DR customs. With the shipping costs and the duties it would be cheaper to purchase in the DR.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
wayne said:
I was quoted 2650.00us from Guelph Ontario to the DR by a company out of Montreal. I asked about door to door shipments but they will not do this he said I was on my own with DR customs. With the shipping costs and the duties it would be cheaper to purchase in the DR.

You live in Guelph? Where have you been hiding?

wayne

Dec 25, 2003
Yes we do. We will be in our new villa in Casa Linda most of the winter and working in Guelph the rest of the year to pay the bills. I take it from your reply Anna you are from Guelph or the area.

New2This

Sep 4, 2004
wayne said:

Wayne,

That's what I was afraid off the part where you mention that you are on your own once the car is in DR customs. From majoriyt of the post here, it seems that it will be a huge headache once the car is in DR. I am actually to find a customs clearance company here in Canada but no luck. Just wondering, do you any by any chance?
I checked the cars for sale in DR from the site that people have given me, but I find the cars pricy

wayne

Dec 25, 2003
Sorry I don't know of anyone in Canada that will clear DR customs for you. In regards to DR auto prices I think it is still cheaper than shipping a vehicle. I own a used car dealership and even with cars at wholesale I don't think I would be any further ahead by sending one from Canada. Just my opinion.