Fire Fighting info

dmad

Jun 12, 2004
Can someone give me some info on how the Fire Department operate in most small towns.Also what do the big resorts do for fire protection.
Thanks

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hi dmad.

Greetings from Atlantic Canada.

dmad said:
Can someone give me some info on how the Fire Department operate in most small towns.
What small town Fire Departments?

dmad said:
Also what do the big resorts do for fire protection.
Concrete block construction and building separation. (Although Riu properties have hose stations prominently available at many locations; I would be concerned about pressure and flow characteristics should extinguishment be required.)

FWIW the airports seem reasonably well off, but then they are privately run.

Actually watched them training with their foam truck one time while waiting to board.

Gregg

P.S. - My observations are from the North Coast. Since the East is more rural I would be surprised if it were any better.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
There are no fires in the D.R.!!!!

Fire Protection in small towns is the bucket brigade or of the garden hose variety from any nearby water source. A pumper engine/tanker may be available if donated from overseas and in most cases will not operate because lack of maintenance, parts, and knowledgeble operators. The nearest large town may have a fire department and equipment but as usually the case if and when they arrive to an out of town fire, it is too late.

Fire fighting is not a priority concern for resorts. Some resorts may have some fire fighting equipment on-hand, such as extinguishers. Sprinkler systems are rare. They may rely on pool water as a fire fighting reserve. PJT is aware that the Barcelo Resort and Convention Center has a tanker on hand

The usual case of fire protection is to have a passive fire avoidence system in place, meaning most buildings do not go above three or four floors, and have two to three exit points to escape a fire if one starts. Resort construction rely on many separate out buildings for accomodations to isolate a fire, rather than construct one huge main building for all accomodation therefore putting all inhabitants at a fire risk.

There are no fires in the D.R. Why? Because there is no opportunity to be gained for having a fire.

Regards,
PJT

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Fires in the DR? a true story...

Don't y'all remember the story of DD and the warehouse fire? I cannot find the link but here is the story as I remember.

A fire broke out in a warehouse - apparently an electrical fault. The town had a fire truck and the firetruck was called. The firetruck arrived within minutes in clouds of dust with firemen jumping off the truck and rushing to their stations with hoses to fight the fire... looking very professional. But, unfortunately there was no water in the firetruck - so, the firemen abandoned their posts and ran to try and find alternative water sources. Meanwhile, the driver of the firetruck jumped out to assist, but left the firetruck running - the firetruck unfortunately took off at some speed without driver and ran over and demolished 20 or so moto conchos parked in front of it.

The moto drivers asked DD's business for compensation for the demolishing of their moto conchos -- Why, in true DR style, the reasoning was that if the warehouse did not start burning, the moto conchos would not have been demolished...

This is how the fire department operates in most small towns....

jerryme

Feb 1, 2004
I am a career Fire Protection Engineer and I can tell you that although the buildings are made from concrete, everything else lacks in Fire Codes. I saw one Fire sprinkler system in a Ferreteria (sp?)(hardware store) in Puerto Plata
I asked the manager to let me see the valves and piping and I found they might as well have nothing installed. Just because you see Fire Sprinklers doesn't mean they are installed right. I know what I am talking about I have been in the business for 22 years and I supervised most of the installation of the biggest Fire Sprinkler system in the world. Which worked on 9/11 (the Pentagon)

On a Carnival Cruise a few years ago I looked at the Fire Sprinklers on the Italian made ship and they are USELESS. All the piping was inadequate and simply will not work.

Argo

*** Sin Bin ***
Aug 5, 2004
jerryme said:
I am a career Fire Protection Engineer and I can tell you that although the buildings are made from concrete, everything else lacks in Fire Codes. I saw one Fire sprinkler system in a Ferreteria (sp?)(hardware store) in Puerto Plata
I asked the manager to let me see the valves and piping and I found they might as well have nothing installed. Just because you see Fire Sprinklers doesn't mean they are installed right. I know what I am talking about I have been in the business for 22 years and I supervised most of the installation of the biggest Fire Sprinkler system in the world. Which worked on 9/11 (the Pentagon)

On a Carnival Cruise a few years ago I looked at the Fire Sprinklers on the Italian made ship and they are USELESS. All the piping was inadequate and simply will not work.

Carnival sails thoseeships in and out of USA Ports. How could they pass US Coast Guard Inspection with inoperative fire supression equipment?

A>

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
4 fire stations?

dmad said:
Can someone give me some info on how the Fire Department operate in most small towns.Also what do the big resorts do for fire protection.
Thanks
There must be over 100 fire stations in the country and they generally are below North American standards.
Large resorts may be near fire stations, but are probably well equipped with small fire fighting equipment.
As almost everything is built out of concrete block and cement in the resorts, they are not likely to ever have any type of big fire.
I notice from your other post that you intend on doing some business here.
Do you sell fire fighting equipment?

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hey Rocky,

Rocky said:
I notice from your other post that you intend on doing some business here. Do you sell fire fighting equipment?
Since dmad doesn't seem inclined to answer your question (from another Canadian) I'll speculate.

dmad appears to be in the forest fire fighting business (equipment sales, training and crewing) in Nelson BC.

See his/her homepage at:

www.madburn.com

Not exactly sure how this will fly in the DR unless this is not the kind of business that he/she is planning on "do(ing) a little business while there".

Gregg

jerryme

Feb 1, 2004
Since ships have overseas registrations they do not need to be up to US standards that has been an argument by the US government for years

Argo

*** Sin Bin ***
Aug 5, 2004
jerryme said:
Since ships have overseas registrations they do not need to be up to US standards that has been an argument by the US government for years

I beleive they have to meet certain US Standards to call at US ports

I know a 65' motor cruiser that is registered in Nassau that gets regular USCG Inspections :)

A>

dmad

Jun 12, 2004
Sorry for the delay

Yes I do sell fire equipment,to answer Rocky's question.
As for Fireguy's question,not interested in any small town in particular,just wondering how things are done.
I have some property in the Samana area,and am planning to be there lots in the future,so I guess you could say I'm just doing some homework for now.
Thanks

One more question,are the fire fighters paid.

pas

Jun 7, 2004
badpiece33 said:
The only 3 fire houses I have seen in the Dominican Republic were in Santo Domingo, Satiago and one little fire truck in Casa De Campo.
Badpiece

there is one in sosua also....

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
PJT said:
There are no fires in the D.R.!!!!

Fire Protection in small towns is the bucket brigade or of the garden hose variety from any nearby water source. A pumper engine/tanker may be available if donated from overseas and in most cases will not operate because lack of maintenance, parts, and knowledgeble operators. The nearest large town may have a fire department and equipment but as usually the case if and when they arrive to an out of town fire, it is too late.

Fire fighting is not a priority concern for resorts. Some resorts may have some fire fighting equipment on-hand, such as extinguishers. Sprinkler systems are rare. They may rely on pool water as a fire fighting reserve. PJT is aware that the Barcelo Resort and Convention Center has a tanker on hand

The usual case of fire protection is to have a passive fire avoidence system in place, meaning most buildings do not go above three or four floors, and have two to three exit points to escape a fire if one starts. Resort construction rely on many separate out buildings for accomodations to isolate a fire, rather than construct one huge main building for all accomodation therefore putting all inhabitants at a fire risk.

There are no fires in the D.R. Why? Because there is no opportunity to be gained for having a fire.

Regards,
PJT

LOL...the Bomberos are too busy shaking down motorists on Calle Duarte for money. The fire truck (if you wish to call it that) is an old relic donated from only God knows where. It has wobbling tires, hoses hanging off of it and is often seen with the bomberos on it looking for a domino game someplace.