shark attack

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
i recently heard a story about an italian tourist being eaten alive by a shark in samana. i asked a local resident (75 year old woman from los cocaos) and she confirmed that an an italian couple was swimming in the bay a few months ago - a good piece out from la tambora - when the woman turned around and no longer saw her husband. turns out if was 2 hammer head sharks. the locals wanted to confirm this so they threw a horse into the water that had died a few hours earlier and it was immediately eaten by 2 hammer heads. according to the woman - my wife's aunt - the locals figure that the sharks followed behind a cruise ship into cayo levantado that had been tossing out garbage - food for the sharks.

according to the locals the sharks no longer seem to be in the area. has anyone heard this story? sharks are very rare in samana as far as my experience goes and from what i have heard, but if the cruise ship story is correct, then something should be done to ensure that ships are not dumping garbage.

sunnyvillas

Blocked due to spamming
Apr 29, 2003
Hlywud said:
A bull...., ships do not dump garbage overboard anymore..

Nothing in the news, another urban legend......

By the way hammerheads do not attack unless provoked, info from an avid diver.

I have to agree with you about the hammerheads, they do not attack humains, unless provoked. I was told that long time ago by a friend of mine in Jamaica, who is a diving instructor for many, many years.

But may be being Italian and hot blooded, he did provoke the shark...

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
i did a search on the internet w/o any news about such an attack. sounds like there's no truth to it, but man was that story spreading like wildfire.

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
She bumped him off!

Great story - wish I'd have done that with my first wife! Just struggle ashore with some bullshit story while the "other half" is floating out to sea with a knife in their back! Only problem here - as already mentioned, hammerheads do not attack humans. They're really quite cute as sharky's go!

Simon

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Simon & Nicky said:
Great story - wish I'd have done that with my first wife! Just struggle ashore with some bullshit story while the "other half" is floating out to sea with a knife in their back! Only problem here - as already mentioned, hammerheads do not attack humans. They're really quite cute as sharky's go!

Simon

Have been known to attack humans see link
http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/sci/A0822557.html

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I would have to disagree with some of the posts here. Hammerheads, unlike most sharks, HAVE been known to attack without 'provocation.' They can be as unpredictable as bullsharks.

(On the other hand, I don't believe the Samana story though)

I have personally been chased out of the water by a 9 foot hammerhead spearfishing for lobster in The Bahamas - while some people might consider this 'provoked' as I was competing with him for food, I had not speared anything in that area that day and was basically a regular 'snorkeler' at that point and would consider that an 'unprovoked' attack - he came within 10 feet of me in an agressive way.

I would like to add that I have probably seen over 100 sharks while spearfishing (in snorkel gear) over 20 years, and only two times did I have a close call. Once with this hammerhead and once time I had a reef shark take a grouper off my spear from behind.

Most of the time they will leave you alone. Even in Australia scuba diving I ran into a 12 foot tiger shark who was more afraid of me then I was of him.