Which Currency should I take on Holiday?

UKJERRY

Sep 6, 2004
I am going on holiday in November for 2 weeks and am unsure whether to take US dollars, sterling or travellers cheques with me. Any ideas anyone?

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
Simple answer

US$ is king in DR. Enough said.

UKJERRY said:
I am going on holiday in November for 2 weeks and am unsure whether to take US dollars, sterling or travellers cheques with me. Any ideas anyone?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
You can easily use US dollars or travellers checks. For safety reasons I would suggest travellers' checks and change them at the hotel. Also good to take a few bucks along for the beginning, just in case.

Have a nice trip!

KelleJ507

Aug 4, 2004
Hi,

I have just recently changed my money up and i was advised to get 'Dominican Peso'. Will this currecey still be accepted?? I hope so. Also i've been told that you have to pay a fee when going into DR, also a departure tax when leaving. Does anyone know if this can be in Peso too?

Hope you can help.
Thanks,
kelly :cheeky:

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
The Dominican peso is the national currency and you can buy anything with it. In tourist areas, US dollars are also accepted and often the items are priced in dollars. For the tourist card (entry) and exit fee, as far as I know, these are paid only in US dollars.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
USD Only

KelleJ507 said:
Hi,

I have just recently changed my money up and i was advised to get 'Dominican Peso'. Will this currecey still be accepted?? I hope so. Also i've been told that you have to pay a fee when going into DR, also a departure tax when leaving. Does anyone know if this can be in Peso too?

Hope you can help.
Thanks,
kelly :cheeky:

If you want to enter the Dominican Republic you must pay in USD only. The National currency will leave you sitting in the airport.
Charlie

KelleJ507

Aug 4, 2004
Thanks for your reply. Do you know if there is anywhere i can change up peso to US$ at the airport? It's just we are going quite soon, i have all my money changed into Peso and not too sure i will have time to change some more up to $.
Hope you can help
Thanks,
Kelle

mharshman

Sep 23, 2003
KelleJ507 said:
Thanks for your reply. Do you know if there is anywhere i can change up peso to US$ at the airport? It's just we are going quite soon, i have all my money changed into Peso and not too sure i will have time to change some more up to $.
Hope you can help
Thanks,
Kelle
Hi do not understand why you changed into pesos before your arrival. The

exchange rate is lower than if you changed money upon arrival and changes everyday.Also everyone takes dollares.

Rookies

Many rookies run to the bank and change their money to Dominican peso's cause that is the place they are going, not knowing the banks are making a killing on the exchange.

People will live and learn, get US$ and change as needed in the DR.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
KelleJ507 said:
Hope you can help
Thanks,
Kelle
Make sure you have $15 US for a tourist card upon arrival ( I think that's the amount. Mine was included in my ticket) And $20 US cash for departure tax for each person.

NEVER ever change your money into pesos before you leave your country.

Karen J

Aug 10, 2004
Get the Tourist Visa before you go

Hi,

If you photocopy your passport and send that with an ?8.00 Postal order from Post Office and a SAE, the Domincan Republic Tourist Board in London will send you back in 2-3 days your Tourist Visa. (They do not accept personal cheques)

So when you enter immigration at the airport you just sail through passport control and everyone else or ususally 99% of your flight are queued up getting their entrance fee paid!

The address is :-
The Dominican Republic Embassy
139 Inverness Terrace, Bayswater, London, W2 6JF

http://dominicanrepublic.embassyhom...form_dominican_republic_embassy_london_uk.htm

Have a good time.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Anna Coniglio said:
Make sure you have $15 US for a tourist card upon arrival ( I think that's the amount. Mine was included in my ticket) And $20 US cash for departure tax for each person.

NEVER ever change your money into pesos before you leave your country.

The tourist card is US$10 (though I saw them take Euro 10 on Wednesday) and often the departure tax of US$20 is in the ticket (it is with American Airlines). Charters usually not however, charters often include the tourist card and give it to you at your home airport.

NEVER buy pesos in your home country, there are cambios and banks everywhere in the DR to do that at a better rate.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Karen J said:
Hi,

If you photocopy your passport and send that with an ?8.00 Postal order from Post Office and a SAE, the Domincan Republic Tourist Board in London will send you back in 2-3 days your Tourist Visa. (They do not accept personal cheques)

So when you enter immigration at the airport you just sail through passport control and everyone else or ususally 99% of your flight are queued up getting their entrance fee paid!.

The lineup usually short and taking 45 seconds to clear does not justify paying nearly double (STG 8) plus postage for a tourist card in advance. Ask your charter / tour company as well you may get one for free.

mike775103

Aug 25, 2004
What about Saturday Night arrival

I will be getting in late on a Saturday night and taking a bus from Santo Domingo to Sosua on Sunday. Should I keep everything in US$ or exchange some at the airport? Will Caribe take US$ and will I take an exchange rate beating if they do? I've heard the excahnge rate at the airport is the worst. Is this so?

Paulino

Jan 4, 2002
I did not even know that DOPs are available outside of the DR itself. One is not allowed to take any of the stuff out of the country, as far as I am aware. It is not a so called convertible currency.

Although I did read on the board I think it was, a while back that DOPs were available for cheap in Hialeah in Miami, for cheap... being all about money laundering.

Paulino

Jan 4, 2002
I did not even know that DOPs are available outside of the DR itself. One is not allowed to take any of the stuff out of the country, as far as I am aware. It is not a so called convertible currency.

Although I did read on the board I think it was, a while back that DOPs were available in Hialeah in Miami, for cheap... being all about money laundering. Hopefully that is not where the OP got his/hers...

Listerrose

May 31, 2004
KelleJ507 said:
Hope you can help
Thanks,
Kelle

Someone on your plane may exchange with you as most will have USD with them or the holiday rep that meets you at the Airport - someone might have to go through immigration first to get their attention for you but you won't go stuck I don't think. Which tour operator are you travelling with?

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Use ATM's

mike775103 said:
I will be getting in late on a Saturday night and taking a bus from Santo Domingo to Sosua on Sunday. Should I keep everything in US$ or exchange some at the airport? Will Caribe take US$ and will I take an exchange rate beating if they do? I've heard the excahnge rate at the airport is the worst. Is this so?

I travel to the DR quite often and have never had any problem with anyone taking USD. Caribe will take USD but you may get RDP in change. Yes the airport is not the place to exchange money. The best policy for me has been to use ATM machines to get RDP, and forget the exchange houses.
Charlie

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Anything is Convertible at a Price

Paulino said:

Although I did read on the board I think it was, a while back that DOPs were available in Hialeah in Miami, for cheap... being all about money laundering. Hopefully that is not where the OP got his/hers...

You can sell off, at terrible rates, and presumably buy pesos at equally horrible rates at the cambios in Miami airport and in Toronto airport. Not that you should but you can.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
chuckuindy said:
I travel to the DR quite often and have never had any problem with anyone taking USD. Caribe will take USD but you may get RDP in change. Yes the airport is not the place to exchange money. The best policy for me has been to use ATM machines to get RDP, and forget the exchange houses.
Charlie

However, Chuck, the rates at BR in the SDQ customs hall are never any worse than the cambios, so the usual warnings about not using airport booths (like in MIA and YYZ) don't really apply in the DR at least at SDQ. Also you can ask for all your RD$ in 50 or 100's if you want and they, unlike most cambios, don't have a conniption. I have taken out in the good old 55:1 days, 15,000 in RD 100 peso notes.

FWIW with a fixed (by the central bank) rate to US$ , the same applies in Managua airport where the sole bank offers the same rate and doesn't clip you with spread or fees.