bookshops

jnirenberg

Sep 3, 2004
thanks

These replied have been great. Thanks.

I did not have certain books in mind; I am debating moving to the DR and one of the questions I cannot get answered without asking expats is whether I can find good books. I know this might seem like a small and silly point to some people, but I've lived in towns where the nearest English-language bookstores was hours away and it really bugged me.

As for on-line shopping, it means spending a lot on shipping and sometimes not getting the product for weeks (or at all).

Again, thanks to all you replied.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Just in case this didn't come up in your search of the archives: the Helen Kellogg Library on Ave. Independencia (Gazcue) in Santo Domingo is excellent. PM me if you would like more details.

I used to order a batch of books from Amazon (US) about once an month, and receive them via my private mail box service here in the capital, P O Box International. The books would always arrive within a matter of days and the cost was acceptable: the mailing charge is domestic as Amazon only has to ship it within the US, and the P O Box fee was not exorbitant except in the case of very large and/or heavy books.

Once I joined the Helen Kellogg Library it was so good that I all but gave up ordering books online, but the option remains. If you have a network of English speaking friends it is easy enough to organise book exchanges and purchase new books for each other when someone is travelling or receiving a visitor.

Hope this has been of help.

Chiri