Considering relocating to DR - sosua or PP

johnsenior

Sep 6, 2004
During the last year I have been reading messages by those who have experience living in the DR. I have visited PP and Sosua on two occasions during the last year and like many have fallen in love with the area. Not being a young man I am considering early retirement (3 years premature) to experience living in the DR. Had it not been for a costly divorce, money would not be an issue but it is now since I will only be drawing 1/2 my government pension. I'm sorry to be adding all these personal details but I would really like some advice from someone who is in a similar situation (age and financial) to assist me in determining if I can make this move or if I am just dreaming. I gather from other posts that work is difficult to find in the DR for someone my age who has very little Spanish so I am assuming that I would not find work in the DR. I will be honest in identifying that I am very attracted to friendship with younger women, something that I have never experienced in my home country so I would want to be somewhat active. Now to the point....Not being rich I would be looking for a modest apartment with air and Internet (Sosua or PP). I would like to be within walking distance of a beach, grocery and bars. That's my wish list. I'm certain that someone out there is living this now and could assist in identifying a dollar figure for this dream. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If you have experienced this "dream" and have regretted it I would also like your comments. Also any advice regarding safety in Sosua or PP would be welcomed.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
The building I live in El Neptuno is what you describe. You can probably find a short term rental for 700-1500 a month for a 2 bedroom/2 bath nice condo with a/c and 24 hour security and electric plus utils.

I don't know how to answer your lady question as I really do not partake but this is probably the easiest place in the world to find a young woman as a companion for an older man.

You can live inexpensively if you live like a local. Even eating out in Dominican restaurants is relatively inexpensive. Some restaurants are expensive.

Good luck, I love living in Sosua. Temperature is 82 degrees as a mean temp and I feel great when there and not as good when in other places.

If you have specific questions you want answered I will be happy to answer to the best of my ability. You can pm me with those or email me. Just click on my name you will get a menu telling you how to do this.

Safety is NOT an issue in my opinion although you will hear weird stories. Some people are born to be victims and I am just NOT one of those. I have no fear walking in Sosua at 3am with a bunch of money in my pocket and dressed well. No one ever bothered me except the women whom you seem to rejoice in:)

Scott

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
In 5 years, Sosua and Cabarete will cost a fortune. If money is an object, what you need to do is what so many Americans are unwilling to do, learn to speak Spanish. Speaking the language fluently and being able to converse with Dominicans will enable you to move away from the touristy areas and settle somewhere much cheaper. You could still be along the coastline and live for 1/2 the price.
Larry

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
johnsenior said:
I will be honest in identifying that I am very attracted to friendship with younger women, something that I have never experienced in my home country so I would want to be somewhat active.

:eek: You and 90% of all males on earth!!!

johnsenior

Sep 6, 2004
I never said I was an original

CyaBye3015 said:
:eek: You and 90% of all males on earth!!!

Hey I never said I was original but I'm glad to know that 90 to 99% have similar thoughts. At home (Canada) they remain thoughts, in Puerto Plata these thoughts become reality. Maybe it's the sun or possibly the heat or maybe it's the friendly attitude. I'm realistic enough to recognize that maybe it's my money they want but since I don't have much of that I can't lose too much since I've already paid out more than 1/2 my resources to a Canadian woman.

In all honesty I had more fun in Puerto Plata but I think I visited Sosua during the wrong hours. I visited 3 times during day time and although I enjoyed the visits there I really did not see much other than other tourists and sellers. Next visit (March or April) I will concentrate on Sosua and by then will have at least a litlle bit of Spanish which should be helpful.

Thanks Scott for the condo info. What you describe is probably what I would enjoy but unfortunately my financial means would not be sufficient unless I gave up on night life which would be the main reason for living in the area for 6 months of the year.

I'm glad I found this forum and thank all those who are providing input. Every little bit helps.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Larry - Obviously there are much lest costly areas than Sosua. I'm wondering, besides Sosua, Cabarete, and the other obvious places, what do you recommend as the nicest north coast areas to live in -- places with some sophistication or expat influence, with good services and security for a gringo. - D

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Danny W said:
Larry - Obviously there are much lest costly areas than Sosua. I'm wondering, besides Sosua, Cabarete, and the other obvious places, what do you recommend as the nicest north coast areas to live in -- places with some sophistication or expat influence, with good services and security for a gringo. - D
Good question, Danny.
Truth of the matter is, Sosua is the least expensive town with a good size ex-pat communtity, to live in.
Those people who think they can live like hermits somewhere deep in the country, soon find out that it's not so darn wonderful.
One needs some social contacts with one's peers.
One would like to be able to go to the store and buy some imported products.
One quickly discovers all the security issues when one lives out in the boonies.
There are many places within 5 minutes of Sosua that can give you that country feeling, at fairly reasonable prices and still have good security and services.
Try to find a better deal !

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Just One Point! Don't say "Maybe" it's your money,say

I KNOW it's my money that they are interested in! You may live to fight another day if you don't confuse "Sex" with "Love"!If you think that a Canadian woman can strip you of 1/2 your money,just imagine a beautiful,sexy,young Dominican.You will "give" her all your money for one more night in the "Hay"! That is until you realize that she is like any other comodity,"For Sale"! This is a "Buyers Market" when it comes to female companionship!You can get all you want for a few hundred pesos.Don't pay more! She doesn't like you anyway,it's just for the money.Too many guys think that the girl will like them better if you give them money and gifts.Not True!You are the "Trophy" here,not them.They will think that you are a "Pendejo"!
Greatest compliment ever paid my by a Dominican girl was when she said;"Chris" is cheap,but he isn't stupid!I met her when she was 16,and we are still "Friends" 10 years,2 kids,and a husband(For Her!) later!And I could give you several more examples!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Thanks CC

Criss Colon said:
I KNOW it's my money that they are interested in! You may live to fight another day if you don't confuse "Sex" with "Love"!If you think that a Canadian woman can strip you of 1/2 your money,just imagine a beautiful,sexy,young Dominican.You will "give" her all your money for one more night in the "Hay"! That is until you realize that she is like any other comodity,"For Sale"! This is a "Buyers Market" when it comes to female companionship!You can get all you want for a few hundred pesos.Don't pay more! She doesn't like you anyway,it's just for the money.Too many guys think that the girl will like them better if you give them money and gifts.Not True!You are the "Trophy" here,not them.They will think that you are a "Pendejo"!
Greatest compliment ever paid my by a Dominican girl was when she said;"Chris" is cheap,but he isn't stupid!I met her when she was 16,and we are still "Friends" 10 years,2 kids,and a husband(For Her!) later!And I could give you several more examples!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Thanks for the advice CC, and let me assure you that I am neither fishing nor seeking support for my relationship. I could give a rats a** what other people think. This is between my novia and me only. I answered the post to simply dispel the blind ignorance of some of our members.

I must say that I do appreciate your input because I truly believe that you have a better grip on Dominican culture and its people than anyone else I have ever heard address this subject. FYI, I have no intentions of ever living full time in the DR or marrying this woman. That is not to say that I do not lover her and that I do not want to be with her, but I am a first world kind of guy and she is a poor Dominican and that spells disaster. My values, work ethic, and selfishness would end this relationship within a month if we lived together on a full time basis. Additionally to ask her to change her entire life and culture for me would be most unfair.

Now before you women go off on me for lack of commitment, let me say that right now we have the best of both worlds. She, for the first time in her life, understands that she must continue to learn and grow or our future together will be finished. Daily I have her repeat to me that ?I must learn, for knowledge is power, and I need a better life for me and my daughter.? What greater gift could I give this woman than to help her rise above her current lifestyle, while showing her more love and attention than most Dominican males would ever give her?

Like your wife CC, Tonya is not hard working, doesn?t do housework, can't, or won't cook, is not a skilled mother, because that is the way she was raised. But like you say, she makes me feel special, important, wanted! Hopefully I can help her to overcome some of her weaknesses. Realistically, I have nothing to offer this young woman other than hope of a better life for her and her daughter and I am not willing to simply buy it for her. She must learn and grow on her own for I will not be around for the rest of her life.

The time we spend together is so precious, and filled with joy and laughter. She is my love, and she is my wife. She is my teacher, my family, and my friend. She is my student, my lover, and sometimes a real pain in the a**. Right or wrong this is the way it is and as far as we are concerned the rest of the world can just bug off.
Charlie

undefinedWOOPS POSTED THIS IN THE WRONG PLACE, SORRY!undefined