santo domingo

mariela

Sep 6, 2004
hey,
I was considering moving to the Invi neighborhood in Santo Domingo. I was just wondering if anybody could give me some info. If it is safe or if it is middle or upper class?
Thank you
Mariela

Oche

Jan 6, 2004
Middle/Middle and Middle/lower class at its best. Unfortunately the last 4 years have made people even more poor. You can't compare it with other sectors as El Millon, Los Prados or Evaristo Morales though. I think it's safe enough for foreigners to live in if you are planning living modestly (like most do) and not showing off around in late model jeepetas (like new rich dominicans chopos do) etc...

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
I too will be moving soon to SD, I'll need to live reasonably close to a good
american style school for my 2 kids (ages 5&6) their being raised bilingual, but so far here in NY they heavily favor english. My Dominican wife and her family are scoping out areas/houses, will probably send the kids to Dominican-American school on Abraham Lincoln. Any suggestions about specific neighborhoods or even houses on the market would be very welcomed, I trust my inlaws but as a native new yorker from queens, our perspectives might be a little different. Also, We were planning on staying with my in-laws in their apartment in Villa Consuelo until we found a house. I've stayed there before and though the neigborhood is far from stellar I never had any trouble. Now my dominican brother in-law is warning me, not to stay there, that we'll be robbed, held up, the areas getting bad and I'll be a target. Is he right?

Kaizen68

Aug 25, 2004
opciones...

Naufrago said:
american style school for my 2 kids (ages 5&6) their being raised bilingual, but so far here in NY they heavily favor english. My Dominican wife and her family are scoping out areas/houses, will probably send the kids to Dominican-American school on Abraham Lincoln. Any suggestions about specific neighborhoods or even houses on the market would be very welcomed, I trust my inlaws but as a native new yorker from queens, our perspectives might be a little different. Also, We were planning on staying with my in-laws in their apartment in Villa Consuelo until we found a house. I've stayed there before and though the neigborhood is far from stellar I never had any trouble. Now my dominican brother in-law is warning me, not to stay there, that we'll be robbed, held up, the areas getting bad and I'll be a target. Is he right?
Contrary to popular opinion, you shouldn't have a problem, specially if we've stayed there previously; however, these websites may help you in finding a humble abode in "Quisqueya la Bella"

CINDSA.COM......SUPERCASAS.COM........REMAXDOMINICAN.COM. Also check the clasificados on LISTINDIARIO.COM.DO aswell as other dominican newspapers.

...SUERTE...! Bienvenido a nuestra patria...

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Kaizen68 said:
Contrary to popular opinion, you shouldn't have a problem, specially if we've stayed there previously; however, these websites may help you in finding a humble abode in "Quisqueya la Bella"

CINDSA.COM......SUPERCASAS.COM........REMAXDOMINICAN.COM. Also check the clasificados on LISTINDIARIO.COM.DO aswell as other dominican newspapers.

Thanks Kaizen68, everyones so nice here :nervous:

SafireDream

Jul 5, 2004
Naufrago said:
american style school for my 2 kids (ages 5&6) their being raised bilingual, but so far here in NY they heavily favor english.
Naufrago,

When you get information on a good school, can you please post it on the forum?
Thanks!

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Thanks![/QUOTE]

Yes, definetly , will probably try dominican/american, bilingual, not too expensive. I'll let you know hows this goes, will be down in a week or two...

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Oye!

mariela said:
hey,
I was considering moving to the Invi neighborhood in Santo Domingo. I was just wondering if anybody could give me some info. If it is safe or if it is middle or upper class?
Thank you
Mariela
If you are talking about the Invi neighborhood in Los Mina, I know that neighborhood very, very well. Have some friends there and I visit every time I go to SD. Now, is that the one you are talking about?.

HATERO

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 12, 2004
www.dominicanass.com
website ripoffs

Kaizen68 said:

SUPER-CASAS.COM, REMAXSANTODOMINGO.COM, AND JUANPERDOMO.COM
ARE RIPOFFS... THEY SELL TWO AND EVEN THREE TIMES THE REAL VALUE.
MY ADVICE: DO THE HUNTING YOURSELF, CHECK THE NEWSPAPERS NOT JUST LISTIN DIARIO... EL BANCO POPULAR IS GOOD BUT IS NOT THE REAL DEAL.
GO TO DR SPEND A FEW WEEKS HOUSE-BRAGAIN HUNTING. THE ECONOMY IS VERY WEAK AND PEOPLE NEED MONEY!!!

Last edited:

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
your definetly right about the website listings. My wife's dominican friends have been emailing us pictures of houses they've been scouting and the prices are about 1/3rd of the listings or less. I'll hide my gringo butt at mami's apartment while my wife and her friends scout the bargains.

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Follow up on schoools

Wanted to follow up as promised. Kids starting school tomorrow at The New School, Escuela Nueva, near UASD. they were very nice and highly recommended, about $100US per month. we also checked out the Montesori school for our 5 year old, but went with Nueva. We were considering Dominican-American, and my wifes Tia was pushing us towards St. George, but they are about twice the money and the kids would be with all the rich kids which is one of the reasons my wife wanted to come back here, to get away from the whole american spoiled kid scene. Note: we're able to do this though because the kids know enough spanish to get started, and we figured immersion in the language would be best, besides they know english and I'll keep them reading and speaking english, don't need to pay for that. Really glad to be here, things seem to be working out, would be a real challenge though if I didn't have my dominican family and friends to get me started.

Riu

Jun 11, 2004
Naufrago said:
Thanks!

Yes, definetly , will probably try dominican/american, bilingual, not too expensive. I'll let you know hows this goes, will be down in a week or two...[/QUOTE]
Naufrago, you may want to check this school

http://www.cms.edu.do/tmsPUBLISHER/

It has an american curriculum.

Spirit7

Aug 26, 2004
not that great

newuser said:
The Zona Universitaria is a safe area to live, has lots of apartment buildings and is walking distance to the Dominican-American School. If the area suits you, try to find a place east, west or north of UASD (the main university in Santo Domingo) as the south side sometimes has student protests and may cause you an inconvenience or two.

I just moved into this area 3 weeks ago and I'm not too happy with it to be honest; it's very, very busy and very polluted in regards to both air and noise and it's overpriced.

You can get much better living conditions in the outer, western neighborhoods such as Bella Vista, El Millon, Los Prados, Mirador Sur, etc., for the same price and sometimes even 20 or 30% less if you can find the right opportunity.