Expat Rockers in SD

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
I'll be coming down in a few weeks with my family and my strat, any expat musicians in/around SD? looking to jam, gig, meet some cool dudes.

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Anybody know the music scene in santo domingo? Is it all Bachata/merengue/salsa? I would really like to know of any rock style bands,
or american rock cover bands, clubs that feature such music? thanx, i know your out there, i can hear you breathing...

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
Naufrago said:
Anybody know the music scene in santo domingo? Is it all Bachata/merengue/salsa? I would really like to know of any rock style bands,
or american rock cover bands, clubs that feature such music? thanx, i know your out there, i can hear you breathing...

There is a little get together Saturday night at Beer House, a local band will do a Guns & Roses tribute in honor of several local biker clubs. No cover.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
You're going Nowhere.

I mean, you should go to "Nowhere", a bar in Zona Colonial that plays a lot of rock covers.

Nice place, unique in the city.

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
I'll check them out for sure, I'll be moving to SD as soon as we close our house in upstate NY, probably next week, really excited about this move :nervous:

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I occasionally get together and jam with friends, but too infrequently to call ourselves a band anymore. Also maybe too laid back to call ourselves rockers. Generally most of the local musicians here are whores when it comes to genre - they'll play anything they can get paid for. Also thay are usually 5-10 times better than your standard American garage rocker.

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
that sounds cool man.
I'm actually a frustrated Sound Man, been trying to get somewhere
with my axe for about 30 years now, can play my chords, but not much else, always looking to hang with musicians, learn and enjoy the music. I'll definetly give a shout once I get set up in SD.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
Naufrago said:
How do you get a guitar to make the plucking sounds for Bachata?

1) Find a guitar that you won't miss (cheap epiphone acoustic electric)
2) have a local electrician/frustrated Bachatero install a used humbucker in the mouth.
3) Plug it into a crappy eletric guitar amp and set the knobs to whatever setting robs the rig of any accidental tone or warmth it might have had
4) play stacatto notes up and down the chords like a 9 year old girl not quite strong enough to hold steel strings down to the fretboard
5) once you are happy with your technique and any gringo neighbors hate your guts do the whole thing again with an expensive Takemine ,Ibanez, or Yamaha.

note: to get the sound just right you must have thick, dirty fingernails on your picking hand or else have your nails done in a vietnamese nail parlor while the ladies try not to snicker and call you a homosexual in their native languages.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I'm not a guitarist, but I've wondered about that myself. Is there a particular amp or eq setting? It sounds like all treble - more like a mandolin than a guitar. - D

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
I think it's just crappy equipment, and also the outdoor live gigs don't do much for the bass.

I think people get used to hearing it that way at shows so they replicate the bad sound in the studio sessions.

I went to a Bachata concert where they were using really good equipment in a small venue and found the guitar playing surprisingly enjoyable. (I was pretty drunk, though)

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
I think the drinking part is integral to the enjoyment of bachata, don't really listen to much, my wife hates it, a dominican girl who loves rock, my reward for all the good i've tried to do in this life. My playing tastes run from james taylor and jimmy buffet, tom petty, eddie money, tull, kansas, my own writing attempts are edgy anti-folk. so you see i use the term "rocker" loosely, i played bass in a college Police cover band, "da doo doo doo de da da da". thanx for the info.