Sticky Stuff

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
PJT received some friends from Santo Domingo a few weeks back and they brought a gift. Wow, it was pastry, sticky stuff - buns and croissants. They were in my opinion, deadly, mouth watering, and not what you would normally find in the market. It was a welcome shift from the usual baked goods outlets of the east. I needed to know where they were obtained. I was informed when they travel to the east from S.D. they stop off for coffee in La Romana at a caf? called ?Trigo de Oro? (Golden Wheat). The caf? sells French pastry.

When I traveled to La Romana this past week to perform some errands I made it my business to stop there to see what my friends were raving about The place was neat. It set itself apart from the street with a quaint wall and greenery and was inviting. There was a little courtyard in front with sitting under the shade so one could converse quietly over a caf? with not having compete with loud music. The heck with cafe, I stocked up on some cheese croissants, sticky buns with raisins, and some sandwich rolls. The prices ranged from 20 ? 35 Pesos each depending on the fat factor, the higher the fat level ? the higher the price. It is good to be bad once in a while.

The caf? is on a side street, E.A. Miranda, a one-way, just off the northeast corner of Parque Duarte. It can be found by using the Jumbo store on Av Libertad as a navigation point, by proceeding east a few blocks on Av Libertad and look for the Policia and the Palacio of Justicia on your left. Turn left north onto the same street as the Palacio of Justicia, Av Francisco Riciez. Proceed north till you see the Scotia Bank on a street corner, make the left turn just before the bank onto Miranda. Trigo de Oro is on the right-hand side a short distance from the corner.

Buen provecha.

Regards,
PJT