Dominican Role Modles

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
In the US we have role models such as Martin Luther King Jr. Arnold Schwarzenegger Donald Trump Michael Jordon ect. In Canada Pierre Trudea, John Candy, Terry Fox ect. However, are there any Dominican role models?

Role models who have had a positive impact on Dominicans or their county.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Include these

Fred said:
In the US we have role models such as Martin Luther King Jr. Arnold Schwarzenegger Donald Trump Michael Jordon ect. In Canada Pierre Trudea, John Candy, Terry Fox ect. However, are there any Dominican role models?

Role models who have had a positive impact on Dominicans or their county.

I think that the role models living in the Dominican Republic at this time would have to include, AZB, CC, and Rocky.
Charlie

SafireDream

Jul 5, 2004
Here's one!

I believe that Julia Alvarez, the writer, is a positive role model for Dominicans. Her books of poetry as well as her fiction provide insight about the Dominican lifestyle and culture. Some of her writing is based on her own personal experiences as well as historical events that happened in the DR. She is a woman who is very proud to be a Dominican and her accomplishments could be a positive model for the younger generations of Dominicans.

JANET/NJ

Jun 21, 2004
role models...hmmmm!

i think most dominican men follow the teachings of Trujillo, cause they try to dictate women around. :laugh:

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Here's One

That fellow who won the Olympic gold even though born in the USA ran for the DR. I would not say that Trump or Schwartzenegger are very good examples of role models anywhere in the world.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
The boys seem to follow all those giys who play the American (US American that is) adaptation from the Gentlemanly game of cricket uhhhh Baseball??? Sammy Sosa & Rammy Ramirez names spring to mind but there may be another 60 or so propping up the true US players!!

The girls???? Well, their role models appear to be their Mothers as they ALLOW themselves (generally) to be dictated by the Dominican men. Time they stood up for themselves a bit more & said "NO" when they Mean 'NO'!!! - Grahame.

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
Omar Minaya has become an extremely successful baseball eye for talent. Although he is the GM of the worst team in baseball, he has made do with the money afforded to him by MLB. Imagine what he can do with a GM that allowed him to keep some of the talent the team has scouted.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I would say it probably depends a lot on what social class you belong to, but for the poorest classes there are several things most boys aspire to be (I'm speaking for what I see in my hometown):
-Baseball players (Pedro Martinez, Sammy, etc). In my hometown there have been about 5 guys drafted my MLB teams. Two actually made it. One of them did not do so good and another one got a huge contact with Anaheim. HE IS the role model for all those kids who want to make it. Unfortunately he either doesn't know it or doesn't care.
-Dominican Yorks (In particular those who came to the US and a year later went back already driving the latest Mercedes, Lexus, etc...). People like me who made it to the US through sweat and hard work are not looked upon as role models, but actually a lot people used think I was a fool for being here in The US for so long and still not be rich.
-Politicians (not the honest ones - if there are any).
You see a common theme here. Everybody aspires to quick riches and those who achieve it are highly regarded as having the will to to what it takes to get them.
I'm just glad that girls that go to Spain, Curacao, Italy, etc... to work in "casas de familia" are not seen as role models by the girls...YET.

Kaizen68

Aug 25, 2004
we're doomed for sure...!

chuckuindy said:
I think that the role models living in the Dominican Republic at this time would have to include, AZB, CC, and Rocky.
Charlie
these role models are straight from the Gurabo school of role-modeling...

Kaizen68

Aug 25, 2004
Trujillo took no short cut

JANET/NJ said:
i think most dominican men follow the teachings of Trujillo, cause they try to dictate women around. :laugh:
Rafael Leonidas Trujillo was a tyrant, but atleast DR had electricity, stable economy and corrupted people were filled with lead.

bcmike

Jan 29, 2004
interesting

Typically, when this question comes up in the US , parents are right around the top. So far, no mention of parents. Por Que No? This is not a slam, just an observation..

JANET/NJ

Jun 21, 2004
Kaizen68 said:
Rafael Leonidas Trujillo was a tyrant, but atleast DR had electricity, stable economy and corrupted people were filled with lead.

At the price people had to pay, i rather not have those things. He is one of the reasons the country is still so uneducated and everything else you can name it........that and the fact that everyone after him seem to just fill up their pockets.

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
My oh my do you have your history lessons confused. Trujillo was a Son of a bitch, but the country was a million times better off, both educationally and economically during those years.

The most fair analysis of Trujillo's years as Dictator was from Galindez's thesis title, The Trujillo Era. He both slammed Trujillo for the tyrant that he was, but also detailed the economic ascension the DR made during those 30 years of rule.

JANET/NJ

Jun 21, 2004
I will be truthful i dont know much about the actual "facts" written regarding Trujillo and his crew.
(If any one knows of interesting readings on him let me know)

What i do know is what my mom who lived thru that age tells me.
My moms family were well to do, but when Trujillos crew started going into homes and picking out the young girls they wanted to take as lovers my grandfather left the city and went into the country side where they would not be bothered. My mom and her sisters (6 of them) were taken out of school and into the hills, and many other families did the same.
Education was no longer a subject because everyone needed to pitch in, they had money but no help.
Long story short, a lot of families lost what they had to save their daughters from that fate.

She did say that you could sleep with your windows and doors open.
Another interesting thing she says is that in almost every home people had a picture of him and that when anybody gave thanks for meals they would have to thank Trujillo first and then God. :eek:

I think he's a good role model for anyone interested in becoming a dictator. :p

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
Merengue Singer

"Millie Quezada"one of the best female merengue singers lover her music. :classic:

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Great Dominican ROle Models:

Fefita La Grande - She showed me you can never be too ambarassed of your body.

Jack Veneno - Childhood hero. First Dominican who kicked *** world wide (he really was Campeon de la bolita del mundo...wasnt he?

EL Mayimbe - For showing me that no matter how bad you fu@k up, you can always smile and get on with life as if nothing ever happened.

Cespedes Martinez - For showing me you can never be stupid enough.

Kaizen68

Aug 25, 2004
No excuses....

JANET/NJ said:
At the price people had to pay, i rather not have those things. He is one of the reasons the country is still so uneducated and everything else you can name it........that and the fact that everyone after him seem to just fill up their pockets.
So you mean to tell me, that in 43 years since his asassination, the Dominican Republic has Trujillo to blame for all these years of oppression? lame excuse Cuba is still under subjugational tyranny yet illiteracy is non-exsitent
Trujillo just wanted all for himself; nowadays everyone wants a piece of the pie and lookout for NUMERO UNO.