4 month stay from UK to DR

Smarteel

Sep 8, 2004
hi guys,

I am new to this forum but it looks like a great place for up to date information. I am intending to arrive first week in October for a stay of 4 months or more. What is the best way for me to circumvent the 3 month holiday visa rule? It may be that I fly out after 3 months and then return, but not sure.

Also what is the best way to maximise currency rates. Should I change all my English pounds into US $ before I go? OR would I get a btter rate in the DR?

Lastly, should I be worried about the Hurricanes I am hearing about and seeing on my TV or will they be a distant memory when I arrive.

Thanking you in anticipation!

:cool:

ronv

Sep 8, 2004
What part of the island are you heading for.
Where are you staying app/hotel.
Max official fine for staying up to 90 days $1.62
They will try to rip you of for more when you leave tell them to p**s off.
in the past never paid any thing extra.

ron

Lechero

Aug 11, 2004
Fx rate

Change most of your Sterling into USD or USD travelers cheques.
You will get the best peso rate vs USD.
The bank machines will also give you a fair rate.
Just set up an account in the UK that does not kill you with international fees and you can just take out cash as you need it.
Just be aware most machines have a daily limit of RD$4,000 or so.
You are best bringing some $USD travelers cheques and some cash.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Smarteel said:
hi guys,

What is the best way for me to circumvent the 3 month holiday visa rule? It may be that I fly out after 3 months and then return, but not sure.
:cool:

They changed the 90 day rule to 15 days quite a while ago then added these penny-ante taxes for 16-90 and up to 5+ years that they post in the airport.

The 16-90 day rate is about RD$62 and 5+ years is, if I recall right RD$1000 or even less, so you are looking at about RD$200 or so (if that) for 4 months and as such don't worry about it.

Just ensure you read and memorize the amount from the sign at the inmigracion/passport control/exit desk ( note they are not at the actual booth where you pay) and pay the amount shown as either the inmigracion officer or the buffoon in the booth or both will try for $10 US or more, and brother it ain't that much.

What you do not have to do like Cuba or Thailand, etc., is leave and come back every X days, months or years.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hi Smarteel,

Greetings from Atlantic Canada.

1) Tourist cards are only good for 15 days now - see www.polaris-fs.com/images/TouristCard.jpg Overstay and pay the minimal fine.

2) Currency is discussed by others. $US is King.

3) Hurricane Season is from June 1 - November 30 with September and October the most active months (historically). Hurricanes never really got the hang of reading, however, so they sometimes occur outside of these dates. Mother Nature is fickle like that.

Enjoy.

Gregg

sunnyvillas

Blocked due to spamming
Apr 29, 2003
We stayed over 6 month and nobody even questioned that:"-)))

Also, I would say, do not bother converting the BP , as you would be loosing twice on excahnging different currencies.

Best of luck!

lilcanadiangal

Jan 23, 2004
Price at Airport

Hey, I just left at the end of August and for four months, I had to pay 250 pesos, which is what you have to pay if you stay 3-6 months. The lady did try to say that the signs with the prices were old and that I should pay more, but I just said I didn't have any money. Be careful about that!

jamesinsomerset

Aug 27, 2004
Get USD!!!

Smarteel said:
hi guys,
Also what is the best way to maximise currency rates. Should I change all my English pounds into US $ before I go? OR would I get a btter rate in the DR?

Hi, new to the forum too, but here's my ha'penny's worth...

I'd take advantage of the no commission exchange here and change your money to USD before going. Don't take GBP as i'm sure the rates are not as good against the pound.

When I was in the DR, from 12th August - 25th August, the rates for GBP were 65 and the USD were 39, which, if i've done my sums right, gives you more for your dollar than for your pound (I think the pound - dollar rate I got was about 1.8) - Yep my calculator says if I'd taken GBP's I'd have got equivalent of 36 pesos to the dollar, but I got 39 out there (at the time - and I know this has changed since.)

Hope this is helpful,

James

sunnyvillas

Blocked due to spamming
Apr 29, 2003
jamesinsomerset said:
Hi, new to the forum too, but here's my ha'penny's worth...

I'd take advantage of the no commission exchange here and change your money to USD before going. Don't take GBP as i'm sure the rates are not as good against the pound.

When I was in the DR, from 12th August - 25th August, the rates for GBP were 65 and the USD were 39, which, if i've done my sums right, gives you more for your dollar than for your pound (I think the pound - dollar rate I got was about 1.8) - Yep my calculator says if I'd taken GBP's I'd have got equivalent of 36 pesos to the dollar, but I got 39 out there (at the time - and I know this has changed since.)

Hope this is helpful,

James

I hate to disagree with you James, but when you change your money twice you loose much more then the commission. You always buying at the higher rate and selling at a lower, so it makes no sense to do it, especially for the GBP, that is still one of the stronger currencies available.

I travel quite a bit and use to live in Canada, and when I went abroad, I never changed it to US hoping to get a better deal, as you will end up with the same if not less.

Just my opinion

jamesinsomerset

Aug 27, 2004
sunnyvillas said:
I hate to disagree with you James, but when you change your money twice you loose much more then the commission. You always buying at the higher rate and selling at a lower, so it makes no sense to do it, especially for the GBP, that is still one of the stronger currencies available.

I travel quite a bit and use to live in Canada, and when I went abroad, I never changed it to US hoping to get a better deal, as you will end up with the same if not less.

Just my opinion

Hi,

Appreciated! I do, however, think I managed a better deal! My 1.8 dollars to the pound effectively gave me 70 pesos to the pound (calculator) and that was what I got from the Post Office commission free, but pounds over there were changing for 65 pesos when I was there!!!!

I don't claim to be a big traveller... Maybe I was just lucky!!

James