Prepaid Sim Card?

CaptainKirk

May 20, 2004
Hello, I just bought a new cell phone for my fiance in Santo Domingo that is GSM Unlocked. Where can I purchase a SIM card for her to use while she is in the Dominican Republic?

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Everywhere

CaptainKirk said:
Hello, I just bought a new cell phone for my fiance in Santo Domingo that is GSM Unlocked. Where can I purchase a SIM card for her to use while she is in the Dominican Republic?

There are many Orange stores around, but you probably need go to Orange store, not an authorized dealer. There are many. She'll know where to find one. You buy the SIM cards at the Orange store, they activate it for like RD$350 or something, and give her the phone number. I believe they give you a free prepaid card as well at that time. The Orange prepaid cards are sold everywhere, in denominations of RD$50, RD$100, RD$200, & RD$300.

Also, I believe Verizon has stores around as well.

CaptainKirk

May 20, 2004
Cool!, one last question ...

toneloc24 said:
There are many Orange stores around, but you probably need go to Orange store, not an authorized dealer. There are many. She'll know where to find one. You buy the SIM cards at the Orange store, they activate it for like RD$350 or something, and give her the phone number. I believe they give you a free prepaid card as well at that time. The Orange prepaid cards are sold everywhere, in denominations of RD$50, RD$100, RD$200, & RD$300.

Also, I believe Verizon has stores around as well.

Just a verification: There is no contract/credit requirements for the SIM activation correct? It is all pay as you go? Will I be able to do the refills from the US?

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Correct

CaptainKirk said:
Just a verification: There is no contract/credit requirements for the SIM activation correct? It is all pay as you go? Will I be able to do the refills from the US?

There are no contracts or anything else to sign. It is all pay as you go and when you buy the sim card normally you will get a 100 peso card with it.

My novias phone has been up and working for a year now with no problems. BTW: text messaging in the DR is very cheap.
Charlie