What to do around bahia maimon near puerta plata

UKJERRY

Sep 6, 2004
Thanks to all those who answered my curency question! My next question is regarding places to eat, drink and dance around Bahia Maimon, I am staying at the RIU Merengue in November with my wife and grown up family. I have read with interest lots of comments regarding All Inclusive and to go off and explore the area a bit more. We will be doing some day trips etc, but I would like to embrace the DR culture a bit more rather than on the back of a 'monster truck'! does anyone know any good eating places which are reasonably priced? somewher to drink and maybe have a dance? obviously within a taxi ride of the resort. I have also strted buying pencils/paper etc from my local shops to take with me! don't quite know who/how to give them to someone but will find out once there!
Also just bought some Spanish language CD's, so hopefully I will be able to speak a little in a couple of months!

Minni

Sep 14, 2003
If you are staying in the Riu, your best bet is to take a cab into Puerto Plata to dance and eat. Walk up the hill that leads to the main road and take a regular cab, it's much cheaper than "hotel approved " cabs. We did this a lot when we stayed in the Riu Mambo. We danced our butts off in El Orion, La Barrica, and La Canita. Take a ride into Sosua and go eat at Rocky's also try La Roca. I don't know about eating in POP, the only places where we ate in POP was at the Burger King, and the Ponderosa. Burger King cause we wanted cheeseburgers and fries and the Ponderosa cause we were craving latin food. The food at the hotel was not bad at all, so we ate most of our meals there.
Hope this helps.
Minni

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Your trip

Hello there, I think I can offer some help. You will love the RIU hotels, they are wonderful.

THere are lots of place to eat in and around Puerto Plata. It always depends what you want! There are very good restaurants that serve typical dominican food, seafood, italian etc etc. Just let me know what you are looking for and I can give you some names. Rmember that service here at restaurants is very different then at home.....

For dancing - do you want latin or do you want typical tourists places??? For Latin ORion, La Barrica, Mountainview, El Campito. It depends which night you want to go and what kind of dancing, some nights are better then others at various locations. La Canita is off my list because it can be quite dangerous! That is for locals let alone for others.

For tourist dancing, there are discos at the RIU complex, at Playa Dorada there is Hemingways and Crazy Moon. Again some nights are better then others.

I almost always recommend going wherever the live bands are playing!!! There is nothing like the experience of hearing incredible live music. And the cost is nothing compared to what you would pay at home for live music.
Usually I know where the bands are going to be! I can almost always be found on the dance floor!!!

Hope this helps, let me know what else you want to know...

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
If you want to...

...experience the best fried fish and 'tostones' you've ever had in your life, just outside the Riu complex there are little stands by the side of the road, where they will fry the fish you pick, freshly caught...

Lunch or dinner for 6 people, with shrimp, fish, salad and tostones, plus 6 Presidente (grande!) and Pepsi...around $12 USD...

For dancing, follow the advice above...any of those places is pretty good if you want to experience the 'real' dominican atmosphere...

Most of all...go with an open mind, and have lots of fun!!!

MQ

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I agree

I agree MQ, the fish is incredible there!!! And amazingly inexpensive... a great meal...

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
eating in POP

I always stay at the Coral Marien by Hilton, in Playa Dorada.. and the food there is wonderful;. But I have fallen in love with the Puerto fino's restaurant in Puerto Plata that offers Italian food. It's really good and reasonably priced.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Hi Baileyboy, you are right the food at Portofinos is very good. Just do not be in a hurry and you will be fine. I would nominate them for the bad service award!!! But it is worth putting up with because the food is excellent.