Cell Phones

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
Can I take a cell phone from the U.S and have it connected in D.R? how much does it cost? can I just have a cell phone that you just have to buy a phone card or you have to have it connected directly with a phone company. How does it work over there? I would need it just for a month.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
If it's only for 1 month, then I would suggest renting a cel phone. If I'm not mistaken, Tricom or Verizon offer that service. I'm checking their websites but haven't found anything so far. You might want to check that option.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
rental

KateP said:
If it's only for 1 month, then I would suggest renting a cel phone. If I'm not mistaken, Tricom or Verizon offer that service. I'm checking their websites but haven't found anything so far. You might want to check that option.

If I remember right you can rent at the santo domingo airport. Anybody know for sure?

Minni

Sep 14, 2003
Yes...

you can take a phone and have it connected there. My friend and I took some old cell phones that we had and connected them through verizon. It was very inexpensive. It was like 10 US for the connection, plus the cost of the cards. You by the cards and just put them into the phone, we were leaving the phones behind for some friends so we didn't get a monthly plan. These cards are easy to use and you can buy them just about anywhere. We were able to do this in the verizon store in the SDQ airport, so I'm sure you can do it at any store.

Minni

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
Thank you

Minni said:
you can take a phone and have it connected there. My friend and I took some old cell phones that we had and connected them through verizon. It was very inexpensive. It was like 10 US for the connection, plus the cost of the cards. You by the cards and just put them into the phone, we were leaving the phones behind for some friends so we didn't get a monthly plan. These cards are easy to use and you can buy them just about anywhere. We were able to do this in the verizon store in the SDQ airport, so I'm sure you can do it at any store.

Minni

Thank you for the information. Is there any brand of cell phones they dont connect ex...nextel?

Minni

Sep 14, 2003
I don' think they should have a problem. My phone was a nokia bought through At&t and my friend's was also a Nokia bought through Sprint, all they do is reprogram the phones. You probably won't be useing the two way but there should be no reason you can't the regular phone features.