DR1...a real honest question.....

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
Ever since I joined DR1 I have been checking in on a daily basis and reading many threads new and old......I havent been to D.R. in about 12 years but just remembering all the good times I have had and reading everyone elses experiences here (except the Sankie stories) makes me think of trying to live there for a 3-6 month period. How is the employment oppoturnities there for foreigners that seek jobs in other industries besides resorts? (question for foreigners) Why live in the D.R. if what you make in a month there, you can make in a week here?

I know many people here that think because they speak english they can get a good job in the D.R. Please clarify this.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Being able to speak English isn't going to qualify you for anything.

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
at least on the north coast it doubles your chances
to get a job if you speak english.
I know many people in Sosua and Cabartete that have some sort of
a job and their only qualification is speaking english.
Of course if you want a real job it would help if you
have aswell a trade or education.

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
Jozee74 said:
Ever since I joined DR1 I have been checking in on a daily basis and reading many threads new and old......I havent been to D.R. in about 12 years but just remembering all the good times I have had and reading everyone elses experiences here (except the Sankie stories) makes me think of trying to live there for a 3-6 month period. How is the employment oppoturnities there for foreigners that seek jobs in other industries besides resorts? (question for foreigners) Why live in the D.R. if what you make in a month there, you can make in a week here?

I know many people here that think because they speak english they can get a good job in the D.R. Please clarify this.

What you make in one month here, any kid can make in McDonalds in the States.

Many of us are doing work that we could do from any corner of the world. We choose to live here because we like it here.

solituna

Jan 26, 2004
more for less

You have to put cost of living into the equation to make it work. A salary earned here will not last you that long if you have to use that to live in i.e. the US. However, here we earn pesos and pay in pesos.
However, things are getting tougher. Huge inflation and soon perhaps 16% ITBIS...

Diablo! Co?o!

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Hello Jozee,

Most (but not all ex-pats) move to the DR to retire and enjoy their life in paradise on pensions, nest eggs ect. Some start businesses such as myself. I truly do not intend to get rich from my furniture and taxi van businesses. I employ several Dominicans, therefore putting food in the mouths of their children and I am happy about that. I am not into it for any personal gain. I make my money from real estate in NY, investments ect. The businesses in the DR simply keep me occupied while I am there. After reading the other posts on this thread it is made clear that a 16 yr old can earn much more money in a Mc Donalds then you would working here. This saying is mentioned often although in different ways, however I will mention it again. "If you want to leave the DR with a million dollars try bringing 3 million dollars". Enjoy!

Scotty

Jozee74 said:

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Jozee, after 12 years, why now? what made you want to move back? Why havent you been back in so long?

sunnyhammock

Nov 16, 2003
solituna said:
You have to put cost of living into the equation to make it work. A salary earned here will not last you that long if you have to use that to live in i.e. the US. However, here we earn pesos and pay in pesos.
However, things are getting tougher. Huge inflation and soon perhaps 16% ITBIS...

Diablo! Co?o!

Sorry to be thick but what is ITBIS?
thanks

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
Issues

Talldrink said:
Jozee, after 12 years, why now? what made you want to move back? Why havent you been back in so long?

It was because my ex-husband couldnt travel to the D.R. and He was financially supporting me 100% but now that I have a stable job and I make pretty good money I have the funds to go and enjoy a nice vacation.

My current boyfriend is originally from there and he wants to move back to D.R. and he wants me to move with him, I have +5 years of experience in sales and administration.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Jozee74 said:
It was because my ex-husband couldnt travel to the D.R. and He was financially supporting me 100% but now that I have a stable job and I make pretty good money I have the funds to go and enjoy a nice vacation.

My current boyfriend is originally from there and he wants to move back to D.R. and he wants me to move with him, I have +5 years of experience in sales and administration.

If you are serioius about moving, considering doing your research and factor in about a year of 'testing the waters' in DR first. Always have a Plan B and some money stashed away that nobody else knows about (in case la mierda hits el abanico with him or without him). All the best...