Doggie Thread

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Does anybody knows of some good dog sources around SD. particularly, shepards or akitas, i'm looking for an intelligent dog with guard instincts. Any other suggestions for a smart guard dog ? or DR Dog stories?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
From knowing a few vets and owning a Rottie myself, I can suggest using vets as contacts. They usually know the breeders and can recommend you someone. I got my Rottie from a vet friend myself and couldn't be happier. One important detail though that I've been able to witness so far is that purebreds tend to be very delicate to local disease. Parvo-virus kills many every year, almost killed mine, and parasites are also a big problem. If your dog will be living with you, then I don't think you should have any problem. But if it's going to get into contact with street dogs, or live in the "campo", then I would suggest a crossbreed. These are very tough and don't get sick as easily.

If you're want, PM me and I'll give you one of my vet friends' phone number.

gatoazul

Aug 24, 2004
Go to the vets

I agree with KateP. My wife is a vet-to-be and we have two big dogs. The safest way is going to a vet.

The vet will ask you some questions in order to recommend what breed fits your needs the best. Akita and German Shepperds are both very good breeds, as they are both well balanced dog. Mastin Napolitano is also a very good one, but yet very exigent.

Tell the vet if you have kids, if you receive many visitors at home and how much space the dog will have on your backyard, so the task is easier for him and the results the better for you.

If you need more info send me a message.

Good luck