Satalite tv

n8iveson

Sep 11, 2004
Can anyone tell what satalite tv providers are available in the DR (north coast)? Any help would be appreciated.....thanks

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
n8iveson said:
Can anyone tell what satalite tv providers are available in the DR (north coast)? Any help would be appreciated.....thanks

Do a search on satellite you will come up with a lot of material. Basically, you can pick up both Dish Network and Direct TV. with the proper size dish and equipment. There are also possibilities of Bell ExpressVue and more.

n8iveson

Sep 11, 2004
satalite tv

Thanks for the reply I was wondering does the dish and recievers used in the US work for picking up the signal in the DR...or does it require a different dish all together? I currently use directtv and would prefer to keep it when I do move. Thanks again...

Last edited:

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Receivers work, dishes do not. You need at least a 5 foot dish, some prefer larger for better reception (when the weather is bad it effects the reception) Also you need to either hack the service or convince the service providers that you live in it's official service area. (like subscribing your receiver before bringing it down)

n8iveson

Sep 11, 2004
Satalite tv equip. in the DR

MrMike said:
Receivers work, dishes do not. You need at least a 5 foot dish, some prefer larger for better reception (when the weather is bad it effects the reception) Also you need to either hack the service or convince the service providers that you live in it's official service area. (like subscribing your receiver before bringing it down)

Like Puerto Rico has Directv, someplace like that right? Or just leave the service as being hear but change the billing address to a P.O. box here and take the recievers? Now as far as the dish, are there places in the DR to buy one and for about how much? Or would it be better to try and buy a used one here?
TIA........

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
n8iveson said:
Thanks for the reply I was wondering does the dish and recievers used in the US work for picking up the signal in the DR...or does it require a different dish all together? I currently use directtv and would prefer to keep it when I do move. Thanks again...

6' dishes are OK. You can purchase both local made or Imported. I suggest the latter but both will work. Leave your small dish at home. Absolutely no use for you here (Except for DTV Latino). Bring an LNB preferably a dual. Keep your present Direct TV subscription. Do a "Archive" search on the subject. All your Q's should be answered.

n8iveson

Sep 11, 2004

Eddy said:
6' dishes are OK. You can purchase both local made or Imported. I suggest the latter but both will work. Leave your small dish at home. Absolutely no use for you here (Except for DTV Latino). Bring an LNB preferably a dual. Keep your present Direct TV subscription. Do a "Archive" search on the subject. All your Q's should be answered.

Hey thanks for all the help everybody I really do appreciate it........

Paulino

Jan 4, 2002
DreamBox receivers in the DR?

In Europe the must-have-gadget for satellite enthusiasts is the German made DreamBox, (comes in different flavors) which is something of a cross between a satellite receiver and a computer. It is also very popular in the US, from what I can gather searching different US satellite forums. So my question is, is anyone in the DR familiar with this receiver, to the point of owning and using one? I am thinking of bringing one and install it in my house in the DR.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Paulino said:
In Europe the must-have-gadget for satellite enthusiasts is the German made DreamBox, (comes in different flavors) which is something of a cross between a satellite receiver and a computer. It is also very popular in the US, from what I can gather searching different US satellite forums. So my question is, is anyone in the DR familiar with this receiver, to the point of owning and using one? I am thinking of bringing one and install it in my house in the DR.

Interesting http://www.vo2000.com/product.aspx?pid=519
If you have 1, bring it with you and give it a try. Doubt if it will work but if it does, could be a few interested people in the DR.

Paulino

Jan 4, 2002
Eddy said:
Interesting http://www.vo2000.com/product.aspx?pid=519
If you have 1, bring it with you and give it a try. Doubt if it will work but if it does, could be a few interested people in the DR.
Yes, I plan to do so in February. Will bring the smallest model, the 500 which runs on 12 volts using a common - what's it called - battery eliminator for 110 volt outlet. Guess I shall need a 5 or 6 ft. dish to receive Echostar (Dishnetwork?) in the DR.

The NTSC standard used in US and DR - as opposed to PAL in Europe - is no problem, as it is software switchable, using different so called images which can be loaded into the receiver from the Internet via a PC.

I'll try to familiarize myself with the receiver in the meantime, as it seems to be an unusually complex machine to operate.

Last edited: