What' Bachata?

britishgirl

Aug 28, 2004
What is bachata music like. On this website I have read loads of stuff about some people not liking it because it is not good music or something. Is it like hip-hop or is it sang???Why do a lot of people in D.R not like it? I don't think I have heared any bachata music!!! When I was in Sosua on holidays a few weeks ago, people were handing out fliers saying that it was bachata night or something but I didn't go in. Thanks xxx ;)

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Tough one..

britishgirl said:
What is bachata music like. On this website I have read loads of stuff about some people not liking it because it is not good music or something. Is it like hip-hop or is it sang???Why do a lot of people in D.R not like it? I don't think I have heared any bachata music!!! When I was in Sosua on holidays a few weeks ago, people were handing out fliers saying that it was bachata night or something but I didn't go in. Thanks xxx ;)
Trying to describe a type of music without playing it to you might be a bit difficult, but I can tell you that if you were in Sosua walking around for a day, you would have Heard some playing in the background.
To distinguish it from Merengue, it has a slower rhythm. Merengue is rather fast paced with an unusual rhythm, whereas Bachata has a more conventional rhythm and is easily identified by a "mandolin type" sound.
The reason people complain about it, is that it is very repetitive and, although cute and charming at first, it can start to get a bit boring when all the tunes sound the same.
We call it "Plinky Plinky" music.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Bachata is the music of the masses

Lots of people are uppity about it but it is music, that's all easy to dance to or move your feet to. Nice beat, silly words, but if you don''t understand Spanish, who cares?

I enjoy it, and I'm older than 50, wise as the Brain, and educated like you wouldn't believe!
So what, I liked rock and roll before and after the Beatles. Still love Fleetwood Mac, the Doobie Bros and the Blues!

HB

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Hillbilly said:
Nice beat, silly words, but if you don''t understand Spanish, who cares? HB

Hillbilly, Bachata is known for the emotional and good lyrics more than anything else, NOT for silly words like you described...

Domin - Yes Aventura sings bachata mostly in their CD. Not the best example of good bachata, but fair enough.

(Lesly, surprised you havent jumped in here yet)

puropapi3

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 1, 2004
britishgirl said:

Bachata is good music and i love to dance to it. Its a simple dance and a good one to be close with a pretty girl. The only thing that old skool people dont like i guess are the lyrics and messeges. The beats and rhythms are cool. If you know Aventura or Frank Reyes, thats Bachata. You have to have heard it down there in DR but you didnt know what it was. Definatly.

puropapi3

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 1, 2004
Hillbilly said:
Lots of people are uppity about it but it is music, that's all easy to dance to or move your feet to. Nice beat, silly words, but if you don''t understand Spanish, who cares?

I enjoy it, and I'm older than 50, wise as the Brain, and educated like you wouldn't believe!
So what, I liked rock and roll before and after the Beatles. Still love Fleetwood Mac, the Doobie Bros and the Blues!

HB

Yes a lot of silly and pointless words but i dont understand spanish that much so its all good.

britishgirl

Aug 28, 2004
puropapi3 said:
Bachata is good music and i love to dance to it. Its a simple dance and a good one to be close with a pretty girl. The only thing that old skool people dont like i guess are the lyrics and messeges. The beats and rhythms are cool. If you know Aventura or Frank Reyes, thats Bachata. You have to have heard it down there in DR but you didnt know what it was. Definatly.
Thanks.I love listening to aventura although i can't understand a lot of what they're saying! I hadno idea that it was bachata cause the way some older people don't like it I thought it was like hip-hop or something.I mostly listen to hiphop/rap especially stuff like tupac, g-unit.great music.But I have started listening to aventura(it's quite hard to sing along with tho isn't it- OR IS THAT JUST ME CAUSE MY SPANISH ISN'T VERY GOOD!!! ;)

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i can understand rocky describing bachata as "plinky plinky"....have been listening to raulin this morning...and i definitely hear that.....but i still love it!

As far as the language....i find that more "flowery" or over the top with its poeticism. Emotions are exagerated to the extreme which can be a turn off to some. But if you are like me and only have a small command of the language....then u dont care..it sounds good and reminds me of where i would rather be.

I think i am leaning more to salsa vs bachata or merengue. Merengue is cool when you are on the dance floor...but i dont find it appealing for plain "listening" music. I like the salsa beat...it has a bit more rythmic soul than bachata....but bachata is GREAT for when i am just chillin at home....especialy when i am cooking. (i believe in chanelling good energy when i am cooking....cooking with love and care....like in the film "like water for chocolate").

Ok....speaking of cooking i am making lobster ravioli with a pink sauce w/ camarones. YUMMY!!!! I am some celia cruz going that i just downloaded.

I am digressing here....have great day...and enjoy your bachata!!! dont let anyone tell you that is bocho!

jj

britishgirl

Aug 28, 2004
jrzyguy said:
i can understand rocky describing bachata as "plinky plinky"....have been listening to raulin this morning...and i definitely hear that.....but i still love it!

As far as the language....i find that more "flowery" or over the top with its poeticism. Emotions are exagerated to the extreme which can be a turn off to some. But if you are like me and only have a small command of the language....then u dont care..it sounds good and reminds me of where i would rather be.

I think i am leaning more to salsa vs bachata or merengue. Merengue is cool when you are on the dance floor...but i dont find it appealing for plain "listening" music. I like the salsa beat...it has a bit more rythmic soul than bachata....but bachata is GREAT for when i am just chillin at home....especialy when i am cooking. (i believe in chanelling good energy when i am cooking....cooking with love and care....like in the film "like water for chocolate").

Ok....speaking of cooking i am making lobster ravioli with a pink sauce w/ camarones. YUMMY!!!! I am some celia cruz going that i just downloaded.

I am digressing here....have great day...and enjoy your bachata!!! dont let anyone tell you that is bocho!

jj

Thankyou!!! ;) Have a good day 2!

DeQueTuPriva

Sep 1, 2004
If you're interested in its origins and social history I recommend that you read Bachata: A Social History of a Dominican Popular Music by Tufts University professor Deborah Pacini Hernandez.

There are also a couple of documentaries from which you can get a better sense of what the music is; the personalities behind the music. They are Bachata: La Musica del Pueblo and Los Tigueres de la Bachata/Santo Domingo Blues.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Not all the lyrics are silly...depends on the artist

TD,

Actually, I was planning to keep quiet because you know how I get regarding my music ie. bachata, merengue and salsa. As well, I feel there is enough discussion about bachata and music in general in various threads as it is therefore no need for me to expand. But yes, I agree regarding the lyrics, they are not silly if you really listen to the words they definitely tell a story. The caliber of lyrics depends on the artist. In my opinion groups like Aventura etc. may fall in that category but I have yet to hear silly lyrics from Frank Reyes and Raulin R . I guess to each his own.

-Lesley D

Talldrink said:
Hillbilly, Bachata is known for the emotional and good lyrics more than anything else, NOT for silly words like you described...

Domin - Yes Aventura sings bachata mostly in their CD. Not the best example of good bachata, but fair enough.

(Lesly, surprised you havent jumped in here yet)

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
DeQueTuPriva,

This is a thoughtful recommendation. Hopefully curious minds will pursue. Following the history of music in general is knowledge not gone to waste. I have done my reading out of curiosity and it's very enlightening. It makes my natural sentiment for the music deeper.

-Lesley D

DeQueTuPriva said:
If you're interested in its origins and social history I recommend that you read Bachata: A Social History of a Dominican Popular Music by Tufts University professor Deborah Pacini Hernandez.

There are also a couple of documentaries from which you can get a better sense of what the music is; the personalities behind the music. They are Bachata: La Musica del Pueblo and Los Tigueres de la Bachata/Santo Domingo Blues.

Last edited:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
So true!

Lesley D said:
The caliber of lyrics depends on the artist. In my opinion groups like Aventura etc. may fall in that category but I have yet to hear silly lyrics from Frank Reyes and Raulin R . I guess to each his own.

-Lesley D
That is so true, Lesley. Althought I can not care less for bachatas, I DO find myself, every now and then, listening to bachatas by Alex Bueno, Los Toros Band and others that started their careers singing merengues. For some reason, if I listen to any other bachatas, ex Frank Reyes, it's not the same and I have to run to the hills. There's nothing better than a nice classic merengue when you are with friends. Just my opinion!.

DeQueTuPriva

Sep 1, 2004
Lesley D said:
DeQueTuPriva,

This is a thoughtful recommendation. Hopefully curious minds will pursue. Following the history of music in general is knowledge not gone to waste. I have done my reading out of curiosity and it's very enlightening. It makes my natural sentiment for the music deeper.

-Lesley D

There's alot of truth to that statement. Before I was aware of bachata's history, I didn't know how to appreciate the music. I wrote it off as a cheap imitation of other guitar based musics of the Hispanic Caribbean/Spain or of the Cuban bolero. Now, it's one of my passions.

DeQueTuPriva

Sep 1, 2004
britishgirl said:
Thanks.I love listening to aventura although i can't understand a lot of what they're saying! I hadno idea that it was bachata cause the way some older people don't like it I thought it was like hip-hop or something.I mostly listen to hiphop/rap especially stuff like tupac, g-unit.great music.But I have started listening to aventura(it's quite hard to sing along with tho isn't it- OR IS THAT JUST ME CAUSE MY SPANISH ISN'T VERY GOOD!!! ;)

If you want to hear bachata by other bachateros, there is a web directory of Dominican radio stations that feature live webcasts (web-based broadcasts) of their radio shows. Super Regional of Santiago usually features a can bachatero show, every night, I believe.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
DeQueTuPriva,

One of your passions you say- I am glad to hear that. The three genres I mentioned early are mine bachata, merengue and salsa for various reasons. I lean towards bachata as being the most unique in terms of acoustics and rhythms because in my opinion there is no other genre of tropical music to compare it to. After all genres of tropical music in general are just branches of the same tree but bachata to me stands out and it did not originate as a fusion of another rhythm. I pray for the purity of bachata to remain and when I say purity I mean less of the melange of hip-hop/rap in bachata and Spanglish as groups like Aventura and Nueva Era have done. I truly like bachata from those who have paved the way for the newer artists and I don't mean Frank Reyes, Joe Veras, Raulin R and Alex Bueno etc. these artists are modern bachateros who will keep the genre original and popular among bachata fans no doubt but I am referring to people like Luis Segura (I love his bachata) and Antony Santos, an artist simply in a class by himself. It is a pleasure to share this information with you.

-Lesley D

DeQueTuPriva said:
There's alot of truth to that statement. Before I was aware of bachata's history, I didn't know how to appreciate the music. I wrote it off as a cheap imitation of other guitar based musics of the Hispanic Caribbean/Spain or of the Cuban bolero. Now, it's one of my passions.