Bella Vista

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
How far is Bella Vista from Gazcue, Zona Universitaria and Zona Colonial? I've read it is a very nice area. If I were to visit Santo Domingo, would it be a convenient place to stay and use it as a base to see the city? How about the Hotel Bella Vista? It's one of the budget hotels which has been recommended to me. If I were to stay there, will I be in a central location, could I walk a lot during day time? I usually walk about two miles a day, just for exercise, in Los Angeles, so walking for me is not a problem. I could take taxis too. By the way, are those tours of the city worth the price or is it better to explore the city and visit the sites on your own?

Thanks in advance for your kind help.

Oche

Jan 6, 2004
First i suggest getting yourself a map of SD so you can choose when and where to go to and how do you choose to get there. Bella vista is a nice base to see the city and so is Gazue. Bella vista has nice surroundings and it is part of the modern Santo Domingo. Gazcue is and old and big neighborhood but very pleasant located west just outside of what might be considered as the old Santo Domingo (Ciudad nueva and Zona Colonial). Gazcue is about 10 mins away in car from Bella vista (about 4-5 km away). If you are planning on strolling around the city then i would pick Gazcue as base rather than Bella Vista. Zona Universitaria is next to gazcue and about 5 min away in car about 3 km from bella vista). You can stroll around the colonial zone without taking a tour. There are many officials from the national tourism authority walking around the colonial zone making sure everyone knows it way around in case you need some orientation around the sites so that can be the least of your worries in case you don't want to take a tour.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Oche said:
First i suggest getting yourself a map of SD so you can choose when and where to go to and how do you choose to get there. Bella vista is a nice base to see the city and so is Gazue. Bella vista has nice surroundings and it is part of the modern Santo Domingo. Gazcue is and old and big neighborhood but very pleasant located west just outside of what might be considered as the old Santo Domingo (Ciudad nueva and Zona Colonial). Gazcue is about 10 mins away in car from Bella vista (about 4-5 km away). If you are planning on strolling around the city then i would pick Gazcue as base rather than Bella Vista. Zona Universitaria is next to gazcue and about 5 min away in car about 3 km from bella vista). You can stroll around the colonial zone without taking a tour. There are many officials from the national tourism authority walking around the colonial zone making sure everyone knows it way around in case you need some orientation around the sites so that can be the least of your worries in case you don't want to take a tour.

Thank you for your helpful information, Oche. I am considering staying at either Hotel Se?orial or the Residence-Venezia in Gazcue or the Bella Vista Hotel in Bella Vista. They are all about the same price. I don't know which one is the best though. I read on its website that the Bella Vista provides airport pick-up, perhaps the others do too, or perhaps none of them do and it's just propaganda in order to attract the attention of prospective customers. I guess I do need a nice and readable map of the city. Would like to see as much of it as possible, the nice, safe areas only, as well as the historic sites and museums, the National Theater etc. I am not into the clubs or discotheque scene. Gazcue was always my favorite place to stay, perhaps because I've read more about that area of the city and it has trees which provide some shade. I am waiting for the weather to cool off a bit before I go and for the high humidity to go down some degrees. Wherever is safest to stay nowadays, I will. Pray to God that Leonel gets his hands quickly on that rising crime and put a stop to it. Tourism is very important for the country.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Juancarlos, the nice thing about the Bella Vista neighborhood is that it borders a section along the northern edge of the parque Mirador del Sur.

Its a huge long park that along the Anacaona Avenue in the Bella Vista sections the park gets a kind of New York City's central park along its edges or Miami. Simply because there is a row of very tall high rises that resemble those big north American cities.

Bella Vista is a nice area, very affluent (thus its "nice" characteristic). The only thing is that if you are here on a purely turistic purpose, its pretty inconvenient since most tourist spots are further east. For all other purposes, Bella Vista would be great. The Hotel Bella Vista gets great review among American businessmen and everytime some of my American business friends come to town for a business meeting, I always recommend them that hotel.

Good Luck on your next trip.

BTW, the crime here is still a tolerable levels. Just, realize that you are in a real and working metropolis with all that that implies, with the exception that its one of the safest metropolises of its kind. An example would be Kingston, Jamaica. Hardly a 1 million people metropolis and you carry your life in your hands there, literally. Here, its still peaceful with the exception of isolated incidents that get much press when high profile people are involved.

And based on Leonel's current plans and actions, he is very much interested in putting an end to the crime wave. Let's hope it works.

prinsess61

Sep 13, 2004
I used to live in Bella Vista and could not recommend a better area in the entire country. The Mirador del Sur (miles long and sooo beautiful - the ex-president Balguer used to go for walks there everyday) is not only an attraction... it is a REASON for living there. I found this area relatively soo safe, yet exciting - the Gaucarra Tienna (native caves turned discoteque) and underground restaurant are amazing.
It is central to everything and the number one bonus HIGHEST NUMBER OF POWER-ON HOURS!!! When everyone at school was complaining about not being able to shower, I was clean as a whistle!:)
Whatever you do - look around BEFORE you sign for an apartment. If you are staying in hotels, perfect. You can check out the entire city and ,move whenever you find something more optimal!
Best of luck to you - you are lucky to be moving to santo domingo. The people I met there, I will cherish always.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
prinsess61 said:
I used to live in Bella Vista and could not recommend a better area in the entire country. The Mirador del Sur (miles long and sooo beautiful - the ex-president Balguer used to go for walks there everyday) is not only an attraction... it is a REASON for living there. I found this area relatively soo safe, yet exciting - the Gaucarra Tienna (native caves turned discoteque) and underground restaurant are amazing.
It is central to everything and the number one bonus HIGHEST NUMBER OF POWER-ON HOURS!!! When everyone at school was complaining about not being able to shower, I was clean as a whistle!:)
Whatever you do - look around BEFORE you sign for an apartment. If you are staying in hotels, perfect. You can check out the entire city and ,move whenever you find something more optimal!
Best of luck to you - you are lucky to be moving to santo domingo. The people I met there, I will cherish always.

Did you moved to another part of the country or out of the country? If so, why did you move?

prinsess61

Sep 13, 2004
As I went to a private school there in highschool, I had to eventually return to Canada to play catch-up with Canadian legislated education necessities. I may not have been able to graduate had I stayed much longer, the programmes in school are just too different. My mother stayed on living in Santo Domingo for ten more years before relocating to Floridas Beaches for a little bit more oconvenience in lifestyle (ie. quicker to get things done, dating scene better for her there:), etc.)
I go back to vacation and visit the country I love:)

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Thank you Nahl0ws and Princess for your input. Good information. I am not planning to move there, just get to know the city and get a feel of what life is like there. By the way, does any hotel, particularly the smaller ones we've been discussing, provide transportation from the airport to the hotel? From what I have read, visitors who are not part of an AI trip take taxis. The Bella Vista and another one I read about claim they will pick you up. I am impressed by the growth Santo Domingo has experienced since the 1990s and all the construction going on there. Bella Vista, as its name implies, and as you have confirmed, must be beautiful, as well as other areas.