Inverters-Help

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Does anyone know of someone in Sosua that could repair my inverter, its only 5 months old with 12 new batteries and sometimes it only works for an hour, even when we've had electric overnight, other times it goes for hours. I was cheated badly by the Domincan that sold me it and my new generator, both have a years guarantee and the planta hasnt worked since he broke it on installation in March. He refuses to reapir either. I also gave him my laptop for repair and he says its been stolen. Beware, he has his business opposite the smaller supermarket in Sosua on the main road, its called Fm or Jeffrey maintenance, and the guys called Freddy..... any advice would be appreciated. By the way I want to thank those that sent best wishes after my surgery, which went well. I owe my life to a special person that was beside me in hospital after the surgery when I stopped breathing. Also a big thank you to Tuck One and his lovely wife. I missed you lot,, goodness knows why with all the insults that fly around...... ;)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Freddymultiservice. call 571-3154. Located on the corner in sight of the Texaco Station. Unless that is who you got got the inverter from. If so, I'm surprised since they seem to have a good reputation. The owner is not Dominican, I think he is American. At least he looks and speaks like one.

Last edited:

jcrue20

May 3, 2004
Ladybird said:
Does anyone know of someone in Sosua that could repair my inverter, its only 5 months old with 12 new batteries and sometimes it only works for an hour, even when we've had electric overnight, other times it goes for hours. I was cheated badly by the Domincan that sold me it and my new generator, both have a years guarantee and the planta hasnt worked since he broke it on installation in March. He refuses to reapir either. I also gave him my laptop for repair and he says its been stolen. Beware, he has his business opposite the smaller supermarket in Sosua on the main road, its called Fm or Jeffrey maintenance, and the guys called Freddy..... any advice would be appreciated. By the way I want to thank those that sent best wishes after my surgery, which went well. I owe my life to a special person that was beside me in hospital after the surgery when I stopped breathing. Also a big thank you to Tuck One and his lovely wife. I missed you lot,, goodness knows why with all the insults that fly around...... ;)

learn a lesson. dont trust dominicans. i have a new inverter (less one month old) custom design by a dominican engineer with 24 batteries. they did not give me the things that i want with my inverter. i paid 250K pesos for that. in any way, DOMINICANS are not the right people to do business with. they are better off cleaning the house.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Ladybird said:
Ken this is the guy that cheated me and a few others Ive since learnt.

Sorry to hear that, but thanks for the info.

MrMike on this board has a place in Santiago and Santo Domingo. He can fix it, I'm sure, and most certainly does have a good reputation.

There is also an inverter place on the highway between Charamicos and Sosua Abajo. I don't know anything about them, however.

MrMike I would trust. Why not contact him? The worst would be that you had to take your inverter to Santiago.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I just entered into a 6 month maintenance conctract with Freddy. Actually, he was recommended by Mr. Mike, from whom I bought my inverter. Mike is great, and I take his word as gospel. Maybe Mike has something to say about this. Definately get in touch with him. Freddy's only supposed to check on my setup once a month; equalize the batteries, etc. Thanks for the warning. Ken, do you use him? - D

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Danny W said:
Ken, do you use him?

No, we were considering him because of price and because he is in Sosua, but MrMike's equipment is top of the line, and everything I have heard about him is excellent.

Island Treats

Sep 5, 2003
SOSUALIVING.COM
Ladybird said:
Ken this is the guy that cheated me and a few others Ive since learnt.
Ladybird-This is very hard to imagine that Freddy cheated you and you did not receive good service. I consider Freddy (who is Dominican, I don't see where that matters ;) ) a reputable young business man who stands behind his products. I bought two inverters from him last year. I've been very pleased with his products and his services. In fact, my 2.5 went on the blinks last week and he immediately sent a service technican to my place in Bayardo. The inverter could not be repaired immediately, therefore, he left a loaner until mines is repaired.
I will also call Freddy at my earliest convenience to alert him of your dissatisfation and hopefully you two will reach some type of medium.
IMO I think it is very unfair to toss inflammatory accusations against anyone without them being able to defend themselves. There are three sides to every story. :classic:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
jcrue20 said:
learn a lesson. dont trust dominicans. i have a new inverter (less one month old) custom design by a dominican engineer with 24 batteries. they did not give me the things that i want with my inverter. i paid 250K pesos for that. in any way, DOMINICANS are not the right people to do business with. they are better off cleaning the house.

Correction .......... learn the lesson that you have to check EVERYTHING being sold you - Dominican or anyone ELSE!!!! Check prices by shopping around. check what is being installed & refuse to pay until what YOU have said should be installed actually IS installed!!

A 3.5Kw inverter costs about RD $60,000 as I recall, batteries were at RD $4,000 each two months ago, so WHERE on earth did this figure of RD $250,000 come from?? RD $96,000 for batteries plus RD $60,000 for inverter leaves a RD $94,000 installation charge!!! If my figures are wildly out due to these days of rapidly increasing prices, then I apologise for my sharp tone here, but something seems ultra fishy on the costs & maybe YOU were at fault for not checking things out fully (Damage Control we call it in our house) & whoever was doing the job (Dominican OR Ex-Pat) would have seen the opportunity of increased profits & taken the opportunity you offered! Not RIGHT, agreed - but realistic here in the Domiinican Republic until you find a MrMke for every job you need doing!!

LadyBird.
I do not know Freddy Multiservice & therefor it would be wrong to advise whether he is a crook or otherwise. I would suggest the man needs to stay in business & would hate to see his name dragged down on this & other notice boards. He might NOW therefor do most anything to show he is a reliable operator & if you got someone who knows him & has had work done correctly by him in the past, to go in & try to be a mediator, you might find a more responsive attitude comes about & your Inverter & Planta get repaired. What sort of generator is it by the way? Diesel or petrol? Size? I have a Brit. friend who is a Diesel mechanic (turbines is his speciality) & he might be prepared to look at anything diesel for a few sheckles & a beer!! - Grahame.

Edited to make my lousy maths more correct!!!

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
jcrue20 said:
DOMINICANS are not the right people to do business with. they are better off cleaning the house.

If you have an issue with Dominicans, I suggest you go find another country. Remember, your nothing but a guest here.

And... Some people are better of lurking than posting.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Ladybird said:

Barb, is it me, or is everything a drama or a problem?

The house, the car, the laptop, the muggers, the ghost, the planta, the inverter etc etc.

After the advice that was given here on DR1 about your laptop, why would you go and give it to someone that fixes inverters/plantas to look at?

Inverters: Go speak to Mr.Mike, plenty of DR1 people including myself have been very happy with him and his advice. Plus a ton of threads on DR1.

Plantas: Lot's of info on this board and advice on who does what in your area. Go and ask Mr.Coastal or Tom at Xanadu, they are both clued in on plantas.

Laptops: Read the thread you started.

If Freddy reads this thread, send me an email/PM with your reply and I will post it into this thread. This way we keep the scales balanced.

I'm going to close this thread before it gets into pie fight.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The scales have been balanced. Make up your owm minds.

-----------------------

hi, robert.
I really appreciate your interest to balance these accusations.
First of all this woman is amazing because after all I?ve done for her she say all that stuff of me or my company, it ridiculous.
Tree subject that I want to clarify: the generator, the inverter and the laptop.
1-the generator had a warranty like any appliances that you could buy with an appropriate maintenance of course, this woman never accept the maintenance contract that the company offers saying that there were people in that house that could handle that. But every time that I visit the house the generator was missing water, oil, and once one of her boys pull the oil meter stick and broke the shutting off system of the generator and I never refuse to give her service even though that was not my responsibility. Once the generator overheat and damage the top of the cylinders and I knew that was lack of maintenance but I was trying to get new one from the importers or the could give some of warranty in Santo Domingo, she refuses to get the generator out of the house, to not make this story to long she said that she?s going to contact the importers and she going to solve this problem by her self and she didn?t want me nothing to do with it?

2- the inverter that she has it the greatest inverter that I ever sold, because even though the voltage problems that the house has there so many people (call them self technicians) fixing things and damaging my equipment, like once the water pumps sold by a plumber (like new and this was rewired) was consuming a lot of power and was draining the batteries in a flash and (this is good) once a friend of her was connecting a welding machine and he thought he was out of the inverter but he was causing a lot of damage to the inverter. My company knowing all these stuff was giving her the service and the warranty after all, we have to repair the inverter several times without charges her anything.

3- The Lap top: that?s true that the laptop that she gave us to send to repair to Santo Domingo (like a favor) was stolen and even though was a favor we were responsible for it so I gave mine that was 3 times more powerful than hers (hers was a hp PIII 700Mhz, 40HDD, CDROM) mine is (Compaq Presario 1700 1Ghz, 40Hdd, CRWR, DVD) and with out damage at all.

The last thing that over flow the glass and distance us were that one day she needed a service and I send one of my units and she ask for the gardener to look out my guys to see what they doing like they going to rob something? that day we stop to give her any service at all. Receive that from her was unexpected because we even ask to the police department to check the areas during the night because some robbery cases were in the area...

We?re try to break that image of Dominican service here in sosua, wend I decided to move in sosua I had an electronic and computers company in Santo Domingo and I saw the lack of service that were here, I opened this office and in one year that we have here in sosua we?re reestablishing the confidence in service here. I?m very sorry about Barbara but she has to go back in time and try to remember all the thing that happens and she going to find out that the only one that was on her side were us solving the problems that she had?

Freddy A. Vasquez

-----------------------

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Robert, I think you handeled this very well; particularly the Dominican bashing. This website has been invaluable to me, and although sometimes I take strong issue with people's opinions and feel that perhaps DR1 is autocratic or cliqish (sp?) I owe a great deal to what I've learned here. I have a contract with Freddy, he's recommended by Mr. Mike (another great DR1 find), so it's nice to hear his side. Good work! - D

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
little off subject but

does Freddy have an email address that I could ask him for a quote? I saw the telephone number; I just think it would be easier if I wrote down the information.

Does he build his own inverters?

sorry

Island Treats

Sep 5, 2003
SOSUALIVING.COM
Ken said:
Ken,
Yes Freddy builds his own inverters. Though they are not a "Trace", the service he renders gives me that "Trace" confidence of owning his products. I have seen his buisiness grow from a little brown station wagon and one technician to a couple of mini vans and several technicians in a matter of 8 months. He is very service focused. :classic:

jcrue20

May 3, 2004
BushBaby said:
Correction .......... learn the lesson that you have to check EVERYTHING being sold you - Dominican or anyone ELSE!!!! Check prices by shopping around. check what is being installed & refuse to pay until what YOU have said should be installed actually IS installed!!

A 3.5Kw inverter costs about RD $60,000 as I recall, batteries were at RD $4,000 each two months ago, so WHERE on earth did this figure of RD $250,000 come from?? RD $96,000 for batteries plus RD $60,000 for inverter leaves a RD $94,000 installation charge!!! If my figures are wildly out due to these days of rapidly increasing prices, then I apologise for my sharp tone here, but something seems ultra fishy on the costs & maybe YOU were at fault for not checking things out fully (Damage Control we call it in our house) & whoever was doing the job (Dominican OR Ex-Pat) would have seen the opportunity of increased profits & taken the opportunity you offered! Not RIGHT, agreed - but realistic here in the Domiinican Republic until you find a MrMke for every job you need doing!!

LadyBird.
I do not know Freddy Multiservice & therefor it would be wrong to advise whether he is a crook or otherwise. I would suggest the man needs to stay in business & would hate to see his name dragged down on this & other notice boards. He might NOW therefor do most anything to show he is a reliable operator & if you got someone who knows him & has had work done correctly by him in the past, to go in & try to be a mediator, you might find a more responsive attitude comes about & your Inverter & Planta get repaired. What sort of generator is it by the way? Diesel or petrol? Size? I have a Brit. friend who is a Diesel mechanic (turbines is his speciality) & he might be prepared to look at anything diesel for a few sheckles & a beer!! - Grahame.

Edited to make my lousy maths more correct!!!

this is what i got from paying 250,000RD for my inverter:

12 kw inversor, 24 batteries, breakers, and a dancing techinician with a platano brain that visit my house. its been awhile since i have my inversor from "Inversores TEC" and everyday i discover new problems. i was better off before with my "Trace Engineering" inversor with 4 batteries in 1.5 k.

to those who wants to have inversor, try to consider "Trace" and not a crappy, garbage dominican design like "TEC". Trace is much more expensive but its worth it, its well design and the inversor has system indicators.