Moving to DR

New2This

Sep 4, 2004
:nervous: I am moving to Dominican this coming January to Santo Domingo and I am thinking of staying there for 1 year to see what it is like. I did some research about Dominican but then, there is there time where people that had move there or live there can actually give me a more better idea of being there at Dominican in Santo Domingo.

Basically, I am looking for any comments, suggestions or any inputs regards to moving to Dominican. For example, what to bring or not to bring. What to expect there, what I need, what the life is like there, is it expensive?, is it hard to get a job?, do i need a car?, how much do I need to get myself going without having to worry in case I don't find a job within let say next 3 months, what is the living expense is like there, rent wise is it hard to get or is it expensive, what kind of jobs are hot and what qualifications do they need and so on and on.

Just a bit of a background, I went for my vacation there at Dominican and I really like it. I am from Canada, and currently working in an IT Field (Computer Hardware/Software). I also have background in mechanical engineering dealing with Custom Molding (Plastics and Designs).

Any comments, suggestions or inputs will help. Please feel free to give me inputs on the bad side to if there is. Better to be prepared and expect it than not.

thanks,
New2This

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
New2This said:
What to expect there, what I need, what the life is like there, is it expensive?, is it hard to get a job?, do i need a car?, how much do I need to get myself going without having to worry in case I don't find a job within let say next 3 months, what is the living expense is like there, rent wise is it hard to get or is it expensive, what kind of jobs are hot and what qualifications do they need and so on and on.
New2This

New2This, you seem to be new to everything.
Did you stay in your room the entire vacation?

Is it expensive?

Depends on what "it" is and expensive is a very subjective term.

The cost of living can vary greatly or are you wondering about the cost to simply exist.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Learn this first!

New2This said:
:nervous: I am moving to Dominican. I did some research about Dominican. idea of being there at Dominican in Santo Domingo.

moving to Dominican.

I went for my vacation there at Dominican

New2This
First of all, Dominican are the habitants of the Dominican Republic. The country's name is the Dominican Republic.

Anyways, it seems that you know just about nothing about the DR but if you want to move there, you may want to plan it a little better. Ask all the questions that you want and I am sure that someone will answer them.
Do you want to buy or rent a place?, do you want to buy a car?, do you want to live in a nice neighborhood?. Ask and you will get answers!!

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
A few gentle suggestions to start, New2This }

1. We live in the Dominican REPUBLIC, or just the "D.R." for short = There is no "Dominican".

2. You will probably need to have an intermediate level of Spanish fluency to work for most companies here.

3. An IT job starts at about 10,000 or 15,000 pesos a month. An outstanding salary to start would probably be 35,000 pesos a month right now. At a current exchange rate of about 37 to 1, you can do the math on your potential earnings.

4. The current "hot jobs" would pretty much include ANY job that is available here.

5. You can rent a place to live in Santo Domingo , anywhere from about 2000 pesos a month to as much as 150,000 pesos a month, depending on your needs and resources. (it may be harder to find an IT job anywhere other than in Santo Domingo or Santiago).

Good luck.

puropapi3

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 1, 2004
miguel said:
First of all, Dominican are the habitants of the Dominican Republic. The country's name is the Dominican Republic.

Anyways, it seems that you know just about nothing about the DR but if you want to move there, you may want to plan it a little better. Ask all the questions that you want and I am sure that someone will answer them.
Do you want to buy or rent a place?, do you want to buy a car?, do you want to live in a nice neighborhood?. Ask and you will get answers!!

I've heard quite a few white people mention it as "The Dominican" and old time baseball players that broadcast now talk about they used to play winter ball in "The Domincan". Its the same thing theres no other country named that so you wouldnt get confused.(closest maybe Dominica) You know its DR so its not a bad way to refer it.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
New2This said:
:
Basically, I am looking for any comments, suggestions or any inputs regards to moving to Dominican. For example, what to bring or not to bring. What to expect there, what I need, what the life is like there, is it expensive?, is it hard to get a job?, do i need a car?, how much do I need to get myself going without having to worry in case I don't find a job within let say next 3 months, what is the living expense is like there, rent wise is it hard to get or is it expensive, what kind of jobs are hot and what qualifications do they need and so on and on.

What to bring... well, bring what you have. Some things (like your car) may prove to be such a pain to import (once it gets here that is), that its just better to buy a new car here in the DR. Besides, you help out the local economy a tiny bit that way rather than importing your current vehicle. Please, be more specific about the things you have are thinking of bringing.

What to expect... everything, literally. When you think something will not happen, that's when it happens. When you expect something to happen, that is when it doesn't happen. And when you least expect anything, that is when it happens. You will know exactly what I am saying once you live here a while.

What do you need... only you know that! As you probably noticed on your vacation, there are people that live here in very simple terms and then there are others (whom you probably did not see) who live very very very high class. The living standards are all to be seen on display in this country. Tell us what exactly you absolutely must have and we'll tell you how to get, how much it will cost, and whether its available or not, though most of the times everything is available, just cost extra change.

What life is like here in DR... well, its very unique and purely Dominican, but it can be as much as you want it to be or as much as you can afford it to be. This is a country of sigle room dirt floor wooden shacks that shake with the slightest wind and marble floor penthouses with jacuzzis, satelite TV, mohagany doors, and panoramic vistas of a sprawling metropolis and everything in between. Also, this is a country of dirt paths and super highways, of oxen pulled carts and Mercedes Benzes, of Coconut palm lined beaches and frosty pine studded mountain peaks, of peasant farmers and intellectuals. Make your pick.

Is it expensive... depends on how you live. Very simple lifestyle costs pennies compared to the arm and a leg that it takes to live oppulent. This country is like any other, everything depends on what you want and what you can afford.

Is it hard to get a job... depends. If you got no education but some connections, you got a job even when you don't want one. No education with no connection, you are out of luck. Educated with no connection, you have a chance. Educated with connection, all you have to say is I want to work and voila, you are working. Also, how much connections might influence how much money you will make. Its possible to win alot based on merit alone, but its most likely to win alot of money simply because you know your boss and he/she is your best of best friend.

Do you need a car... pubic transport is widespread and reliable, though why torture your self to living on somebody else's schedule! Then again, driving hear is not for the faint of heart. You need nerves of steel to drive here, if you get scared when a squirrel runs in front of your car in Canada, I will suggest for you to not drive in the DR. Here, everything else but a squirrel will run in front of your car, then again, we don't have squirrels here.

New2This

Sep 4, 2004
miguel said:

Hey Clowny,

Take the pickle up your butt and Chillax a little.....

Toronto2inDR

Jun 10, 2004
www.legendhomesnorthcoast.com
What jobs are hot? You?ll have to take what you can get and that may not even be remotely to do with IT. Here you have to try and do your own thing because the kind of life style you may wish to have here will be totally unattainable working for a salary.

Don?t worry about the driving so much as long as you buy yourself an 82 Pontiac Acadian?That way you won?t care about it getting hit or stolen (and it sure will, just a matter of time)

You may also end up doing nothing for months as you try to find a job so plan on having the cash to live minimum half a year if not more.

I wish that I was a plastic mold maker because I would open a company here making plastic garden/beach chairs and tables?The prices here are ridiculous compared to Wal-Mart so think about that Jack.

All that said, we?ve been here on the North Coast for 2 years and we?re doing fine so it?s not all bad, not by a long shot.

New2This

Sep 4, 2004
Malibook said:
New2This, you seem to be new to everything.
Did you stay in your room the entire vacation?

Is it expensive?

Depends on what "it" is and expensive is a very subjective term.

The cost of living can vary greatly or are you wondering about the cost to simply exist.

Another clowny who got nothing better to do than reply non sense

New2This

Sep 4, 2004
Toronto2inDR said:
What jobs are hot? You?ll have to take what you can get and that may not even be remotely to do with IT. Here you have to try and do your own thing because the kind of life style you may wish to have here will be totally unattainable working for a salary.

Don?t worry about the driving so much as long as you buy yourself an 82 Pontiac Acadian?That way you won?t care about it getting hit or stolen (and it sure will, just a matter of time)

You may also end up doing nothing for months as you try to find a job so plan on having the cash to live minimum half a year if not more.

I wish that I was a plastic mold maker because I would open a company here making plastic garden/beach chairs and tables?The prices here are ridiculous compared to Wal-Mart so think about that Jack.

All that said, we?ve been here on the North Coast for 2 years and we?re doing fine so it?s not all bad, not by a long shot.

Hey Toront2inDR,

I'm sure the lifestyle will drastically change for me. That, I am expecting. I'm just looking to try to live there for a year to see if I can do it, if not, hey, I can always come back I guess. But I do appreciate the info that you provided.

Thanks again Toronto2inDR.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
New2This said:
Another clowny who got nothing better to do than reply non sense

No , he was pointing out that you didn't ask for anything but abstract generalizations, and frankly your two responses will buy you close to no help now. You need to go more than once, get out of the AI resort and do some research (and go to the population centres of Santo Domingo and Santiago) . For a gringo it is basically about the same to live decently there as in Toronto and you will make 1/8 the income. If that.

You will need to be fluent in Spanish and I bet it is safe to say you are not.

And it isn't called the "Dominican" really it isn't. The people who live there are though, so there is such a thing as a "Domincian".

eudi

*** Sin Bin ***
May 7, 2004
to be honest i think you can do great

you are a professional in 2 thing (Computer Hardware/Software). I also have background in mechanical engineering dealing with Custom Molding (Plastics and Designs).

you the man ,but i think you should start learning spanish,trust me basic would help to.
and about findind a job i think you can get a good one .its all about you .

(((((I wish that I was a plastic mold maker because I would open a company here making plastic garden/beach chairs and tables?The prices here are ridiculous compared to Wal-Mart so think about that Jack.))))

True this can work. I have a uncle that can design and make you any machinery that you wish .No limit .he have the braind for that,he is a professional on it . A+++
(but believe it or not what mess his career is the alcohol)for that reason the only ways he can concentrate om his job is by some one, in his back all the time .Believe me you can get to save millions of dollar or millions of Dr peso
but it can also cause you thousand of dollar or peso all depends on the machinary you want.

But remember to for this you have to do some steps like improve you spanish , know the country better and get more connections .

i think you can do good anywhere.
peace out

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Don't waste your time!

ricktoronto said:
No , he was pointing out that you didn't ask for anything but abstract generalizations, and frankly your two responses will buy you close to no help now. You need to go more than once, get out of the AI resort and do some research (and go to the population centres of Santo Domingo and Santiago) . For a gringo it is basically about the same to live decently there as in Toronto and you will make 1/8 the income. If that.

You will need to be fluent in Spanish and I bet it is safe to say you are not.

And it isn't called the "Dominican" really it isn't. The people who live there are though, so there is such a thing as a "Domincian".
I don't know about you, ricktoronto, but I know a Jack Ax when I see one. From my end, someone else will help him with his "questions".

Ps: when I take it out of my butt and chillax, will you eat it?, hehe.

New2This

Sep 4, 2004
eudi said:
you are a professional in 2 thing (Computer Hardware/Software). I also have background in mechanical engineering dealing with Custom Molding (Plastics and Designs).

you the man ,but i think you should start learning spanish,trust me basic would help to.
and about findind a job i think you can get a good one .its all about you .

(((((I wish that I was a plastic mold maker because I would open a company here making plastic garden/beach chairs and tables?The prices here are ridiculous compared to Wal-Mart so think about that Jack.))))

True this can work. I have a uncle that can design and make you any machinery that you wish .No limit .he have the braind for that,he is a professional on it . A+++
(but believe it or not what mess his career is the alcohol)for that reason the only ways he can concentrate om his job is by some one, in his back all the time .Believe me you can get to save millions of dollar or millions of Dr peso
but it can also cause you thousand of dollar or peso all depends on the machinary you want.

But remember to for this you have to do some steps like improve you spanish , know the country better and get more connections .

i think you can do good anywhere.
peace out

Eudi,

Thanks for the info.... By the way, I can understand spanish and speak it but not fluent. I am also taking spanish classes here and still are. I won't go down to DR without knowing anything of the spanish language.
Thanks again...

Pizzati

Sep 17, 2004
Also Considering A Move

New2This said:
:nervous: I am moving to Dominican this coming January to Santo Domingo and I am thinking of staying there for 1 year to see what it is like. I did some research about Dominican but then, there is there time where people that had move there or live there can actually give me a more better idea of being there at Dominican in Santo Domingo.

Just a bit of a background, I went for my vacation there at Dominican and I really like it. I am from Canada, and currently working in an IT Field (Computer Hardware/Software). I also have background in mechanical engineering dealing with Custom Molding (Plastics and Designs).

Any comments, suggestions or inputs will help. Please feel free to give me inputs on the bad side to if there is. Better to be prepared and expect it than not.

thanks,
New2This

Hello!

Trust that are well!

I am also condering a move.

I am a chef and my wife is a teacher.

I am having a difficult time getting information and making contact with possible employment resources.

What did you do to find housing and job?

Appreciate very much any further information that you could provide.

Thank you!

Brendon