Trip Report General

Gregg

Apr 26, 2004
it's been almost a week since we returned from our family trip to the DR. we spent 22 days travelling around the central and north regions. i'll flesh out more details on later posts. thought i could start with something more general.

Us
a family of four, mid thirties parents with children 10 & 13.
trip was especially important to us as we plan to move to the DR soon.
used a rental car and no set itinerary.

Driving Lessons
a rental car map is not adequate for the island. Get the Berndsten version BEFORE you go driving through the mountains. locals will direct you where you want to go but don't blame them if it turns into just a dirt track.

upgrade to a Gold Visa. well worth it as we saved about $12.00 US per day with the Visa covering the Loss Waiver on the rental agreement.

get a standard (manual) transmission if you are getting a smaller car. we would have been dead in the water if our little Ford Opal (?) hadn't been standard. how else can you pass 2 trucks, 3 scooters, 4 pedestrians and a goat on a steep hill? avoid the big rental SUVs unless you are really used to a big vehicle in many tight places.

honking is not an act of aggression. don't get upset. they are just signalling you. once you see it as a courtesy, much stress disappears. same goes with highbeams while driving at night. wear your sunglasses to drive!

shoulder check always, even when you think no one is around. it really is 360 degree driving in the DR. with all the scooters and pedestrians, it was like trying to have a picnic next to a beehive. try to stay calm and you won't get stung.

change your habits. i normally stop if there are obstructions up ahead. don't stop, no one expects it. just slow down but keep moving! one exception, yield to pedestrians at intersections. make it very clear that they can proceed... they won't believe you. worth the grateful and somewhat surprised smile. crazy gringos trying to be chivalrous...

one way streets are everywhere. usually poorly marked. no real indications unless there are some faded pavement markings or a sign. don't trust scooters going that way. don't trust that cars are parked in that direction. just trust that as the only gringos around in a clearly marked rental car, you'll be blamed for your crazy error. smile and think about the cold Presidente you'll have later.

i am not a proponent of drinking and driving, normally. however, for your first few times, have a beer or two beforehand. dont' get blurred, just relaxed. i did this once or twice and it really helped.

get plenty of windshield fluid. with so much dust and the blinding sun, yoi'll go through plenty. rental cars are notorius for never topping up the reservoir.

don't complain about the roads. if they fixed all the potholes ands drainage dips, everyone would drive too fast and kill each other. those potholes and speed bumps are for your benefit, enjoy them!

Cultural Lessons
more european than north american. men wear pants nicely pressed and decent shoes not made of plastic! shedding the shorts and runners will do wonders outside of the tourist area. no big show of wealth but the men are well groomed in the DR. and, like the rest of the world, you are judged by your shoes!

sorry to say that racism against blacks is prevalent. everyone who says this is not the case on other postings has their eyes closed. the white collar jobs at banks, hotels, airlines etc... go the fairest skins. caucasian features are still the ticket here. maybe this is just a hangover from so many years of better education and connections.

i even got to watch a local comedy show where someone dressed up like a minstrel singer in an updated rasta' kind of way. they were having lots of fun and in Canada they would have fined the tv station at the very least. all the tv shows except CityTV in SD only had caucasians. even the studio audiences lacked blacks. i know some of this programming was from Latin America but much of it was not.

i find this whole thing a bit odd and real blind spot for the Domincans. not a topic to bring up at the table! de nile ain't just a river in Egypt baby!

we overtipped for the first while and then settled down. we were often the only ones tipping in the cafeterias outside of the tourist areas. 10% on the gross bill is fine. anymore and they think you are wierd. tourist areas: not the same, tip your brains out!

some begging but very little. street hustlers most agressive in Cabarete and Sosua. no such thing in the non-tourist towns. some boys waiting to finish your leftovers at the small restaurants. good idea and done with simplicity and respect for the boys. wish we could copy that here.

The Cast of Thousands
Rocky's is truly an institution. or at least most of the people there have recently come from one. Marco is an all-round guy with a gruff exterior (perhaps hiding a very soft heart?). my kids loved him as he was so blunt with them. food excellent and consistent. coffee in big carafes...nice to have a large cup of coffee in the DR.

Ted is Rocky's man of all seasons. a video game fanatic who really bonded with my son at the playstation. striking that despite the vast difference in ages, they were more alike than not.

HillBilly, we never connected, mea culpa. you were in my heart and mind as i followed many of your driving directions. TIP: search on his posts to extract great driving directions. next time i will not make advance arrangement i cannot keep.

Bob and Yris, we missed Yris as we arrived back in Jarabacoa a few days later than planned. still would love to have you visit the farm this fall. Jarabacoa took our hearts and will be our ultimate destination after we get our feet wet in Sosua.

Sylvia and family, you really made our stay in Sosua. you have great kids and i know mine are very excited about moving to the area and continuing their friendships. i know Samantha and Jasmine are MSNing already.

Steve and Pam, thanks for inviting us to the wonderful party. i guess we have good timing. i hope Pam comes back and i can spin some more yarns with Steve at the big table. Steve, i still don't have your contact info...

to all the other characters in Sosua: most of you are crazy and egocentric. many of you are career alcoholics and womanizers. most of you are living in a dream world. and i'll miss everyone of you until we return. almost like a family.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Gregg,

You seem to have made all the points. Not bad for someone that simply visits. Never met you but would like to some day. Thanks for enjoying this wonderful country!

Scotty

Gregg said:
it's been almost a week since we returned from our family trip to the DR. we spent 22 days travelling around the central and north regions. i'll flesh out more details on later posts. thought i could start with something more general.

Us

Driving Lessons
a rental car map is not adequate for the island. Get the Berndsten version BEFORE you go driving through the mountains. locals will direct you where you want to go but don't blame them if it turns into just a dirt track.

upgrade to a Gold Visa. well worth it as we saved about $12.00 US per day with the Visa covering the Loss Waiver on the rental agreement.

get a standard (manual) transmission if you are getting a smaller car. we would have been dead in the water if our little Ford Opal (?) hadn't been standard. how else can you pass 2 trucks, 3 scooters, 4 pedestrians and a goat on a steep hill? avoid the big rental SUVs unless you are really used to a big vehicle in many tight places.

honking is not an act of aggression. don't get upset. they are just signalling you. once you see it as a courtesy, much stress disappears. same goes with highbeams while driving at night. wear your sunglasses to drive!

shoulder check always, even when you think no one is around. it really is 360 degree driving in the DR. with all the scooters and pedestrians, it was like trying to have a picnic next to a beehive. try to stay calm and you won't get stung.

change your habits. i normally stop if there are obstructions up ahead. don't stop, no one expects it. just slow down but keep moving! one exception, yield to pedestrians at intersections. make it very clear that they can proceed... they won't believe you. worth the grateful and somewhat surprised smile. crazy gringos trying to be chivalrous...

one way streets are everywhere. usually poorly marked. no real indications unless there are some faded pavement markings or a sign. don't trust scooters going that way. don't trust that cars are parked in that direction. just trust that as the only gringos around in a clearly marked rental car, you'll be blamed for your crazy error. smile and think about the cold Presidente you'll have later.

i am not a proponent of drinking and driving, normally. however, for your first few times, have a beer or two beforehand. dont' get blurred, just relaxed. i did this once or twice and it really helped.

get plenty of windshield fluid. with so much dust and the blinding sun, yoi'll go through plenty. rental cars are notorius for never topping up the reservoir.

don't complain about the roads. if they fixed all the potholes ands drainage dips, everyone would drive too fast and kill each other. those potholes and speed bumps are for your benefit, enjoy them!

Cultural Lessons
more european than north american. men wear pants nicely pressed and decent shoes not made of plastic! shedding the shorts and runners will do wonders outside of the tourist area. no big show of wealth but the men are well groomed in the DR. and, like the rest of the world, you are judged by your shoes!

sorry to say that racism against blacks is prevalent. everyone who says this is not the case on other postings has their eyes closed. the white collar jobs at banks, hotels, airlines etc... go the fairest skins. caucasian features are still the ticket here. maybe this is just a hangover from so many years of better education and connections.

i even got to watch a local comedy show where someone dressed up like a minstrel singer in an updated rasta' kind of way. they were having lots of fun and in Canada they would have fined the tv station at the very least. all the tv shows except CityTV in SD only had caucasians. even the studio audiences lacked blacks. i know some of this programming was from Latin America but much of it was not.

i find this whole thing a bit odd and real blind spot for the Domincans. not a topic to bring up at the table! de nile ain't just a river in Egypt baby!

we overtipped for the first while and then settled down. we were often the only ones tipping in the cafeterias outside of the tourist areas. 10% on the gross bill is fine. anymore and they think you are wierd. tourist areas: not the same, tip your brains out!

some begging but very little. street hustlers most agressive in Cabarete and Sosua. no such thing in the non-tourist towns. some boys waiting to finish your leftovers at the small restaurants. good idea and done with simplicity and respect for the boys. wish we could copy that here.

The Cast of Thousands
Rocky's is truly an institution. or at least most of the people there have recently come from one. Marco is an all-round guy with a gruff exterior (perhaps hiding a very soft heart?). my kids loved him as he was so blunt with them. food excellent and consistent. coffee in big carafes...nice to have a large cup of coffee in the DR.

Ted is Rocky's man of all seasons. a video game fanatic who really bonded with my son at the playstation. striking that despite the vast difference in ages, they were more alike than not.

HillBilly, we never connected, mea culpa. you were in my heart and mind as i followed many of your driving directions. TIP: search on his posts to extract great driving directions. next time i will not make advance arrangement i cannot keep.

Bob and Yris, we missed Yris as we arrived back in Jarabacoa a few days later than planned. still would love to have you visit the farm this fall. Jarabacoa took our hearts and will be our ultimate destination after we get our feet wet in Sosua.

Sylvia and family, you really made our stay in Sosua. you have great kids and i know mine are very excited about moving to the area and continuing their friendships. i know Samantha and Jasmine are MSNing already.

Steve and Pam, thanks for inviting us to the wonderful party. i guess we have good timing. i hope Pam comes back and i can spin some more yarns with Steve at the big table. Steve, i still don't have your contact info...

to all the other characters in Sosua: most of you are crazy and egocentric. many of you are career alcoholics and womanizers. most of you are living in a dream world. and i'll miss everyone of you until we return. almost like a family.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Gregg,

I just thoroughly enjoyed this report. Very honest and informative for a relatively short stay. I look forward to the posts to follow.

-Lesley D

Gregg said:

Us

Driving Lessons

Cultural Lessons

The Cast of Thousands

pas

Jun 7, 2004
hello ..

very nice report...

nice to heard you all had a great time...

love your driving story and tipss..
so tru ...

and yes rocky's...really rock....

see you all soon again

pascal..

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Gregg said:

Good report, but I'm still wondering how anyone could consider Marco gruff? Now me, I'm gruff, Marco is simply direct.

Joe

Spirit7

Aug 26, 2004
Thanks for both reports!

Gregg...thanks for this report and the one on Sosua....the best I have ever seen in DR1....hope we get more on your return but you have the DR pegged
exactly as it is and I like your positive attitude....after 9 years back I am still getting too stressed in traffic with my compatriots' lack of education and intelligence while driving, and other times too!....I'm going to try your attitude but it may be too late for me to change!....Thanks Again!