Electrical Bill problem

LA Woman

Jan 7, 2004
I received my electrical bill for this month, and it was four times higher than normal. I contacted the electrical company, and they said they would have someone come out and check the meter. They tell me I have to pay this bill even though I know it is wrong.

The chart graph on the electrical bill shows how low it has been for over a year and how it has sky rocketed in one month.

Is there any public service I could go to get assistance in fighting this electric bill?

This cost is just outrageous.

Thank you for your help,
LA Woman

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
LA Woman said:
I received my electrical bill for this month, and it was four times higher than normal. I contacted the electrical company, and they said they would have someone come out and check the meter. They tell me I have to pay this bill even though I know it is wrong.

The chart graph on the electrical bill shows how low it has been for over a year and how it has sky rocketed in one month.

Is there any public service I could go to get assistance in fighting this electric bill?

This cost is just outrageous.

Thank you for your help,
LA Woman

Several people I've talked to have seen their bill doubled or more. Reasons: If you have an Inverter (Aoutch) plus the increases in the rates. Solution "No Say-Just pay". Wouldn't mind if at least we had electricity. Nearly as bad as before. Time will tell or we'll all go broke.

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
My electricity bill has gone off the scale

My last bill was 13000 pesos. It is usually 3000. We have no A/C - the pool was empty for most of last month so no pump either. What the hell are we supposed to do? Everyone says you just have to pay it but come on guys - someone must know what proper form of action we should take. Help!

ALGS

Jul 14, 2003
You can call PROTECOM ( the consumer protection body of the "Superintendencia de Electricidad") Visit their page and try contacting them: http://www.sie.gov.do/protecom_of.php.

If nothing happens, make a formal complaint ( it worked for me) and give a visit to EDENORTE's/EDESUR's nearest office where a complains' officer will be waiting to assist you..NOT. Try to find a friend yours who has a friend who has a cousin who has a brother who works in there.

good luck and be patient

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
Simon & Nicky

That's way out of line for no air-conditioning.

What is your killo-watt hour rate? They must show that and your usage.

I would get together with 6 or more people and file a lawsuit.

What part of the DR do you live?

LA Woman

Jan 7, 2004
thanks for the information

I live in Puerta Plata. I appreciate all the suggestions I'm going to try to can't that superintendent and see if that gets me anywhere. This is just insane. The cost-of-living in this country has just sky rocketed. I came here because the cost-of-living was supposed to be cheap and I barely can afford to live here.

If I had the money I would go back to America.

thanks for your help,
LA Woman

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
This is the second month I've been in the five figure range. I'm not too happy about it either. But if I file a complaint they will send someone to take a look at the appliances in my apartment. Never mind checking out the meter, they want to see if I can afford to pay more. I don't want anyone checking out my apartment obviously.

I don't have my bill in front of me but they had me billed for 1,100 or 1,200 kwh.

Damn at this rate it's going to be cheaper to put a generator on my roof.

Serveral of my friends are in the same boat too. I don't have any contacts at Ede-Ladrones. Anyone got a hookup?

Scott

PS- As a little side benefit, my water bill went from it's norm of just under 400 to just over 2,000 last month. They said I might have a leaky faucet.

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
gringo in dr

Ok. Now I have your KWhrs but no cost and I have Simon & Nicky's cost but no KWhrs.

What was your bill for 1200KWhrs?

What you are talking about is extortion and yes, I know it?s the DR but it can not survive by ?milking? the ex-pats. (That's not even 'milking' that slaughter)

That?s why I suggest not suing alone but as a concerned group.

S&N is referring to $351 USD/month (and no AC) please????for that kind of money you could afford to buy alternative energies and go off grid.

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
gmiller261 said:
Ok. Now I have your KWhrs but no cost and I have Simon & Nicky's cost but no KWhrs.

What was your bill for 1200KWhrs?

What you are talking about is extortion and yes, I know it?s the DR but it can not survive by ?milking? the ex-pats. (That's not even 'milking' that slaughter)

That?s why I suggest not suing alone but as a concerned group.

S&N is referring to $351 USD/month (and no AC) please????for that kind of money you could afford to buy alternative energies and go off grid.

Here are the exact details:

1,235 kWh X RD$ 7.87

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
So the rumors are true that if you go over 1000 kwh/mo then you get charged @8 pesos for the whole sum.

Is it still around 3.5 pesos per KWH if you stay under 1000? I haven't got my light bill yet and I'm hoping...

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
Thanks gringo in dr

I appreciate your time.

MrMike please reply when you get your bill. I would be extremely interested in knowing if that is true (3.5/KWhr under 1000).

Gringo, I assume you are using A/C. I still cannot see how S&N is at 13000 pesos without A/C.

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
For over a year my bill came for about 500kw/h. Last month it came al 13,899kw/h. In months like January and February, when I dont even use the AC, my bill came for about RD$800-900!!

I am not the only one, I've meet 4 people with the same story and now, reading this, I cant help but scream Conspiracy!!!!

I filed a protest and they sent an inspector to read the meter and check my house. I wasnt at home when he went, but I dont likle the idea of letting them in my aptmnt anyways. I know I am gonna have to pay the damn bill, and to add insulto to injury, I also have to pay an extra maintenance fee for the purchase of additional Diesel since the damn generator has been working harder than ever!!

Damn!!!

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
I do have a central A/C unit that cools two bedrooms. Although it really isn't that big, 24,000 btu. There is hardly street power to run it. But if the street power is on I do run it all night long.

I also have a trace 3.6 kilowatt invertor with 8 batteries. With the way things have been, it works pretty hard.

Now I'm thinking I should tell ede norte I'm going to sub lease out my maids quarters and I need a separate meter/contract for it. Then use that meter just for my A/C. My consumption would be the same but my bill would be around 4,000 pesos.

Do we have any legal ground to stand on here? I know laws mean nothing here but how can they justify charging over double because you are over 1,000 kwh?

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
gringo in dr

That's not actually small, I think they call that a one ton unit.

Just for comparison.

In summer (NY) I run 2 A/Cs one 12Kbtu and one 9 kbtu. The 12Kbtu unit is 230V.

Using them for 25 days a month during the hottest time and sometimes all day I use around 1510 KWH. So that is in line with you.

The first 241.7 KWH is billed at 17.5714 cents after that it's 18.2102 cents per KWH. ~ $285.00

Then it's not so far off for you, but Simon & Nicky are definitely getting ripped off.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
PROTECOM office in Puero Plata

Calle Antera Mata
Res. Isabel de Torres
corner Virgilio Ortega
Local 112
tels 586-9057, 586-7125

In the Santo Domingo office there are several people who speak excellent English.

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
gmiller261 said:
That's not actually small, I think they call that a one ton unit.

Just for comparison.

In summer (NY) I run 2 A/Cs one 12Kbtu and one 9 kbtu. The 12Kbtu unit is 230V.

Using them for 25 days a month during the hottest time and sometimes all day I use around 1510 KWH. So that is in line with you.

The first 241.7 KWH is billed at 17.5714 cents after that it's 18.2102 cents per KWH. ~ $285.00

Then it's not so far off for you, but Simon & Nicky are definitely getting ripped off.

At my wife's salon we were running 5 ton 60,000 btu split. I would say it was used more than the unit at my house but many times that was with no street power, running off our generator. The light bill there was never over 3,000 pesos.

I really don't have a problem with how much electricity they claim I consume. My problem is with the rate they are charging now.

For comparison, last october my bill was as follows:

300 kWh X RD$ 2.87 = 861.00
241 kWh X RD$ 4.67 = 1,124.47

Total RD$ 2,069.31

That is for a total of 541 kWh

Now for 1,235 kWh I'm being charged RD$ 9,870.83

I'd love to sell computers to Ede Norte. Well you see one computer costs $500. For ten computers we have a special price, they will only cost $20,000.

If they want to bill like that I will just have extra meters installed and have several breaker boxes. Split the load between them.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
gringo in dr said:
At my wife's salon we were running 5 ton 60,000 btu split. I would say it was used more than the unit at my house but many times that was with no street power, running off our generator. The light bill there was never over 3,000 pesos.

I really don't have a problem with how much electricity they claim I consume. My problem is with the rate they are charging now.

For comparison, last october my bill was as follows:

300 kWh X RD$ 2.87 = 861.00
241 kWh X RD$ 4.67 = 1,124.47

Total RD$ 2,069.31

That is for a total of 541 kWh

Now for 1,235 kWh I'm being charged RD$ 9,870.83

I'd love to sell computers to Ede Norte. Well you see one computer costs $500. For ten computers we have a special price, they will only cost $20,000.

If they want to bill like that I will just have extra meters installed and have several breaker boxes. Split the load between them.

Believe it or not, I don't enjoy playing Devil's Advocate, but the lower rate for the first part of your lectrical consumption is meant to be a subsidy for poor people with low consumption - I know it would seem to make more sense to sell bulk at a lower rate, but the rates are setup to encourage people to use less electricity.

Like most government programs it doesn't work and encourages people to steal and cheat rather than save, but that is the reason.

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
MrMike said:
Believe it or not, I don't enjoy playing Devil's Advocate, but the lower rate for the first part of your lectrical consumption is meant to be a subsidy for poor people with low consumption - I know it would seem to make more sense to sell bulk at a lower rate, but the rates are setup to encourage people to use less electricity.

Like most government programs it doesn't work and encourages people to steal and cheat rather than save, but that is the reason.

That's fine but the poor people don't pay period, which is why we get charged such high rates. My maid has never paided a light bill. Everything in her house runs off luz, including the electric stove.

I refuse to pay 10,000 per month especially when I get power for 8 hours on a good day.

By law ede norte is supposed to give us free power to make up for the blackouts. No one is holding their breath on that.

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
gringo in dr

I stand corrected. 400% form last October. That's wrong, very wrong.

How was it that you used 1,235 kWh if there was only electricity for 8 hours per day? Did they exaggerate those hours?