share your thoughts?

mk-ultra

Sep 13, 2004
hi

i'm new to this forum. just joined today and have been reading lots of threads with lots of good info for someone planning to move to DR. it's been helpful for sure. i'm living in brooklyn right now and am planning to move to bavaro beach by november. i'll be there all next week for 10 days to check things out.

besides my own story, one other thing i've noticed while reading the threads, is the large amount people that are actually making moves out of america and canada and europe, etc... and down to DR. It's curious to me because i read it as a trend. maybe i'm wrong, but i'd be curious to hear other people's thoughts and maybe reasons as to why you've chosen to expatriate to DR.

peace
mk

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Hello there and welcome. Why dont you start with your story first and tell us why you have chosen the DR and Bavaro specifically...

mk-ultra

Sep 13, 2004
Talldrink said:
Hello there and welcome. Why dont you start with your story first and tell us why you have chosen the DR and Bavaro specifically...

sure i'll start... seems like this could be very personal for some people. for me there are many reasons but i'll try to make it as quick as possible so i don't bore you with my issues.

i was born and raised in nyc/nj. i love nyc. never thought i'd want to leave. but things here have gotten a little heavy in the last few years. the cost of living has gone sky high. artists and people who earn a modest living have been forced out of the city to the outer boroughs and jersey. the laws have gotten much more restrictive, i'd even say almost like a police state in some cases. there's just a general feeling of tension in the air. the stench of dead rats in my neighborhood, coupled with the ongoing construction constantly disrupting our lives here in brooklyn, that's gotten to me. the congested traffic. the police. in essence, nyc seems to be teeming with negative energy.

i first thought maybe i'll move to florida or another state. but then i'm also tired of the political climate in our country. tired of our current government, which seems almost slated to win again in november (sad to say). tired of this war and the constant threat of terrorism. tired of the alerts. the culture of fear that we constantly deal with. basically i need a break from america. want to slow things down a bit.

why DR? my parents are both dominican. my mother lives here, but my father lives in Las Vega. I have tons of family down there, most of which i don't even know. but i have lots of friends too all over the country and good contacts. business ops and a comfortable plan to make a good living. I've been going to DR every year for the last 5. sometimes 2-3 times a year. i'd like bavaro because of its laid back ways. i'm a music producer and need some space when i work and some privacy. thats why i wouldn't live in SD. i know too many people there.

well thats pretty much my story. oh yeah...plus the fact that my wife is hating nyc and wants to be under the sun. thats another main driving force. ;)

anyone else?

mk

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Well sounds good. At least you dont sound like a chicken head that lost his way and wants to move to DR after visiting an AI.

Thanks for sharing...

3D-MENTAL

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 13, 2004
good decision

I'm going to do the same thing, for the same reasons...
NYC SUCKS. I feel like I'm not living, I'm surviving...

Gimabella

Sep 15, 2003
wow

wow me toooooooooooooo

im just here in NYC waiting to finish college ive completed my AAS degree and will completemy BA in economics summer 2005 ,

hopefully i'll do well, so far i have enough $$ to spend while looking for a decent job.........unfortunatly unlike some of u guys i have few contacts or none at all :cry:

i also have on eof the greatest assets i could possible get right know..........

not married, no kids, and nothing tying me to NYC and am only 22 :cry: years old, my family is from the southern part ( Neyba) and have many relatives in SD aswell as many friends

i am open to anything right know..hopefully DR wil give me a chance to experience living there..and i'll be able to enjoy life over there
i adjust pretty well and know what im getting my self into

senores,,
goodluck

Last edited:

mk-ultra

Sep 13, 2004
3d mental hit the nail right on the head. its very hard to enjoy life and live it when you're more worried about surviving and paying bills. i live in a loft in brooklyn and pay way too much. just don't feel like i'm getting my monies worth. my wife and i work and we both do well, but the cost of living is ridiculous. we're ready to try something different. and what better place then my beloved DR???
;)

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Gimabella said:
wow me toooooooooooooo

im just here in NYC waiting to finish college ive completed my AAS degree and will completemy BA in economics summer 2005 ,

hopefully ill do well, so far i have enoght $$ to spend while looking for a decent job.........unfortunatly unlike some of u guys i have few contacts or none at all

i also have on eof the greatest assets i could possible get right know..........

not married, no kids, and nothing tying me to NYC and am only 22 years old, my family is from the southern part ( Neyba) and have many relatives in SD aswell as many friends

i am open to anytbnhing righ tknow..hopefully DR wil give me a chance to experience living there..and i'll be able to enjoy life over there
i adjust pretty well and know what im getting my self into

senores,,
goodluck

Hey, you forgot to mention an important detail. You've got all of DR1 to give you a hand!!! ;)

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Not trying to burst your bubble...

This sounds like a nice and up-spirits thread, thats all fine and good... BUT I hope you guys realize that you may not find a job at all or make enough money to live a comfortable life there.

I'm not by any means trying to burst your bubble, but if you do some research on this board alone, you will find that usually is better to bring your own work (not look for one there) or stablish some sort of business yourself. It is best if you are self-employed.

These are my dos centavos, just a word of caution...

santanatwins

Jan 20, 2004
Good luck with the move

I was wondering what type/genre of music you produce? And if you plan on continuing your production in Bavaro?

I ask because I too have a recording studio but have not thought about bringing it to Santiago.

mk-ultra

Sep 13, 2004
santanatwins said:
I was wondering what type/genre of music you produce? And if you plan on continuing your production in Bavaro?

I ask because I too have a recording studio but have not thought about bringing it to Santiago.

i produce house music. my studio is small enough and flexible enough that it won't take much to pack it and set up in a second bedroom where ever i live. all i really need is a dsl connection, a near by fedex, a fax machine, a good international calling plan, and i can practice my art/trade from anywhere really.

why won't you bring your studio to santiago?

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
You are going to love the DR

You want to move to the DR because you don't like the Current administraion of the US?
Your gonna love the DR and its Goverment which is so responsive to the people's needs and not bloated by bureaucracy & corruption.

Your Tired of the Fear of Terrorism?
Your gonna Love the DR with its peaceful labor & Student strikes and sensitive police force.

I hope you enjoy your new life in that Cultural Mecca that is Bavaro!

Gimabella

Sep 15, 2003
yes and i defintly have the support of DR1 to experience DR for my start up

i have thought of putting up a small firm which will provide service to those in the financial world..im not sure what exactly but do have many little ideas here and there i just need to sit and organize myself well financially in order for me to start..............

i haven't really seen a firm which provides information to those wanting to start a Small Business so maybe i'll do that
here i can put my Business Adm and Marketing AAS degree to use and my Economics BA in use and of course my english and spanish and most defintly my youth

i have really high hopes in that i will do well. i understand and realize that at first it will be hard, but everyhting is just a matter of time hopefully i'll do well and will stay..which is actually my motive..............

i'm considering living in res. Amapola i believe its in Lucerna right behind the Mega Centro, does anyone know about this area..my mom has some property here and she starte dup when this neighborhood was just dirt 10 yrs ago. today its really nice and seems tranquil our tenants love it,

aswell as Bayonna y la 27 de Feb. Res. Rosamaria its right behind la Cerveceria Bohemia Corp..my mom also has property here which i may occupy, the tenants love it,,,

and a few more around res. los Plantas right before los tres ojos. does anyone know about htis area..

i want a neighborhood which is nice and reasonable, no low class barrio nor a high class poijnty nose,,i want something average where i can jsut relax asnd not worry about coing to the campo and not finding anyhting when i gert back :cross-eye

as for work..i'm considering the financial industry such as banks or companies,...not exactly sure
but will take the first thing reasonable until something better arises.........

que creen

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
No reason not to give it a shot. It sounds like you're young with no children so now is the time to do it. Regarding your profession, I think you are in for some changes. I'm in the record business in NY, and sure you can set up your Pro Tools anywhere, but the house music scene is getting harder and harder to make a buck at, and the DR is all bootleg. Once you loose your presence in NY it might be tough. But hey, you might create a whole new hybrid sound or become the Berry Gordy of Bavaro. It's a long life with lots of twists and turns and opportunities to learn. So good luck and keep us posted. - D

mk-ultra

Sep 13, 2004
Tony C said:
You want to move to the DR because you don't like the Current administraion of the US?
Your gonna love the DR and its Goverment which is so responsive to the people's needs and not bloated by bureaucracy & corruption.

Your Tired of the Fear of Terrorism?
Your gonna Love the DR with its peaceful labor & Student strikes and sensitive police force.

I hope you enjoy your new life in that Cultural Mecca that is Bavaro!

i don't think any rational human can expect everything there to be all beautiful with roses all the time. every country in the world is plaqued with their own problem's. but to compare the eminent threat of terrorism in nyc, like 9/11 to some labor and student protests is ridiculous. what do i have to do with student/labor protests? and what's wrong with protests? its a healthy forum for people expressing their concerns. at least they're allowed to protest, unlike many other dictatorial countires in this world.

life is short my friend. and there's no reason we should restrict our selves in living it because of some of the reason's you mentioned.

mk-ultra

Sep 13, 2004
gimabella, sounds like you have your own good plan. the most important thing i can say is continue your education. finish your schooling before you make any moves. but sounds like you're heading in the right track. set your goals and keep planning. you can never plan too much. look at all the angles and ask a million questions. in life most anything is possible if you're really determined. the thing is to not be afraid to give it a try and you always know that in a couple of years if things don't seem to be working out, you can always come back. no worries.

danny w, i know what you mean about the house music industry going through some bad times. especially here in nyc. i've been in the scene for 15 years and i've seen the changes. i feel confident that i don't have to be in nyc to make my music. my record label is established and my productions so far well known. i dj in the DR every year and the scene there has grown by around 400% in the past few years. a big party used to be 500 heads and now they're pulling well over 2000 and going strong. thanks for the encouragment. i think my wife and i are pretty much set on moving. we'll make a final decision next week. will keep you updated.

peace

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
MK-Ultra, Gimabella doesnt seem to have a plan at all. Maybe that is better, there is no such thing as 'going according to plan' in DR. So she may be better off that way.

Gimabella, I hope you have some money stored up somewhere because is really hard to make a buck and starting your own business in DR as opposed to bringing something you are already doing. Also, it is necessary that you are ok with the fact that you will earn about 1/8 of what you would earn in the States with your degree.

I'm not here to put gloom over your dreams, but do your research and read up on this (you can find a lot of info if you do a search on businesses here in DR1) so that you dont have a rude awakening.

Gimabella

Sep 15, 2003
thanks for the encourgement

;)
Talldrink said:
MK-Ultra, Gimabella doesnt seem to have a plan at all. Maybe that is better, there is no such thing as 'going according to plan' in DR. So she may be better off that way.

Gimabella, I hope you have some money stored up somewhere because is really hard to make a buck and starting your own business in DR as opposed to bringing something you are already doing. Also, it is necessary that you are ok with the fact that you will earn about 1/8 of what you would earn in the States with your degree.

I'm not here to put gloom over your dreams, but do your research and read up on this (you can find a lot of info if you do a search on businesses here in DR1) so that you dont have a rude awakening.

hey you guys..........

thanksMk_Ultra.. may god read what u have written i have high hopes that i will do well..thanks to people like you

Tall drink ,,yea i plan on having enough assets to start me off pero lets see how thigns work out i am aware i wont make a s much $$ as i do here but atleast i wont have to wrry about living in NYC . the winter, the daily routine and hassels............
im working on my business plan
Gima

Gimabella

Sep 15, 2003
mk-ultra said:
gimabella, sounds like you have your own good plan. the most important thing i can say is continue your education. finish your schooling before you make any moves. but sounds like you're heading in the right track. set your goals and keep planning. you can never plan too much. look at all the angles and ask a million questions. in life most anything is possible if you're really determined. the thing is to not be afraid to give it a try and you always know that in a couple of years if things don't seem to be working out, you can always come back. no worries.

im defintly going to finish school i'm a year away from recieving my BA degree..........

but since i want to leave ASAP i plan on doing a Postgrado and a an MBA over there..or maybe ill try something online

yeah thats my 2nd plan i fhting sdont work out i still have my Passport..jeje

but i know things are going to work out......
;)

3D-MENTAL

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 13, 2004
mk-ultra said:
i don't think any rational human can expect everything there to be all beautiful with roses all the time. every country in the world is plaqued with their own problem's. but to compare the eminent threat of terrorism in nyc, like 9/11 to some labor and student protests is ridiculous. what do i have to do with student/labor protests? and what's wrong with protests? its a healthy forum for people expressing their concerns. at least they're allowed to protest, unlike many other dictatorial countires in this world.

life is short my friend. and there's no reason we should restrict our selves in living it because of some of the reason's you mentioned.

brothers and sisters it is time to understand that the USA is becoming a place just to make money... NOT TO LIVE LONGTERM. the Dominican republic is a relatively safe place, not only because we are at peace with EVERY other country in the world but also because life is more than making money and paying bills, it's about being at peace with yourself and enjoy it!!! you only live for so long, so you might as well make the best of it!!!