Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb share your thoughts?

hi

i'm new to this forum. just joined today and have been reading lots of threads with lots of good info for someone planning to move to DR. it's been helpful for sure. i'm living in brooklyn right now and am planning to move to bavaro beach by november. i'll be there all next week for 10 days to check things out.

besides my own story, one other thing i've noticed while reading the threads, is the large amount people that are actually making moves out of america and canada and europe, etc... and down to DR. It's curious to me because i read it as a trend. maybe i'm wrong, but i'd be curious to hear other people's thoughts and maybe reasons as to why you've chosen to expatriate to DR.

peace
    mk

El Mujeron
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello there and welcome. Why dont you start with your story first and tell us why you have chosen the DR and Bavaro specifically...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Talldrink
    Hello there and welcome. Why dont you start with your story first and tell us why you have chosen the DR and Bavaro specifically...
    sure i'll start... seems like this could be very personal for some people. for me there are many reasons but i'll try to make it as quick as possible so i don't bore you with my issues.

i was born and raised in nyc/nj. i love nyc. never thought i'd want to leave. but things here have gotten a little heavy in the last few years. the cost of living has gone sky high. artists and people who earn a modest living have been forced out of the city to the outer boroughs and jersey. the laws have gotten much more restrictive, i'd even say almost like a police state in some cases. there's just a general feeling of tension in the air. the stench of dead rats in my neighborhood, coupled with the ongoing construction constantly disrupting our lives here in brooklyn, that's gotten to me. the congested traffic. the police. in essence, nyc seems to be teeming with negative energy.

i first thought maybe i'll move to florida or another state. but then i'm also tired of the political climate in our country. tired of our current government, which seems almost slated to win again in november (sad to say). tired of this war and the constant threat of terrorism. tired of the alerts. the culture of fear that we constantly deal with. basically i need a break from america. want to slow things down a bit.

why DR? my parents are both dominican. my mother lives here, but my father lives in Las Vega. I have tons of family down there, most of which i don't even know. but i have lots of friends too all over the country and good contacts. business ops and a comfortable plan to make a good living. I've been going to DR every year for the last 5. sometimes 2-3 times a year. i'd like bavaro because of its laid back ways. i'm a music producer and need some space when i work and some privacy. thats why i wouldn't live in SD. i know too many people there.

well thats pretty much my story. oh yeah...plus the fact that my wife is hating nyc and wants to be under the sun. thats another main driving force.

anyone else?

mk

El Mujeron
    Post Thanks / Like

Well sounds good. At least you dont sound like a chicken head that lost his way and wants to move to DR after visiting an AI.

Thanks for sharing...

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Default good decision

I'm going to do the same thing, for the same reasons...
    NYC SUCKS. I feel like I'm not living, I'm surviving...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default wow

wow me toooooooooooooo

im just here in NYC waiting to finish college ive completed my AAS degree and will completemy BA in economics summer 2005 ,

hopefully i'll do well, so far i have enough $$ to spend while looking for a decent job.........unfortunatly unlike some of u guys i have few contacts or none at all

i also have on eof the greatest assets i could possible get right know..........

not married, no kids, and nothing tying me to NYC and am only 22 years old, my family is from the southern part ( Neyba) and have many relatives in SD aswell as many friends

i am open to anything right know..hopefully DR wil give me a chance to experience living there..and i'll be able to enjoy life over there
    i adjust pretty well and know what im getting my self into

senores,,
    goodluck
    Last edited by Gimabella; 09-15-2004 at 09:13 AM.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

3d mental hit the nail right on the head. its very hard to enjoy life and live it when you're more worried about surviving and paying bills. i live in a loft in brooklyn and pay way too much. just don't feel like i'm getting my monies worth. my wife and i work and we both do well, but the cost of living is ridiculous. we're ready to try something different. and what better place then my beloved DR???

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gimabella
    wow me toooooooooooooo

im just here in NYC waiting to finish college ive completed my AAS degree and will completemy BA in economics summer 2005 ,

hopefully ill do well, so far i have enoght $$ to spend while looking for a decent job.........unfortunatly unlike some of u guys i have few contacts or none at all

i also have on eof the greatest assets i could possible get right know..........

not married, no kids, and nothing tying me to NYC and am only 22 years old, my family is from the southern part ( Neyba) and have many relatives in SD aswell as many friends

i am open to anytbnhing righ tknow..hopefully DR wil give me a chance to experience living there..and i'll be able to enjoy life over there
    i adjust pretty well and know what im getting my self into

senores,,
    goodluck
    Hey, you forgot to mention an important detail. You've got all of DR1 to give you a hand!!!

El Mujeron
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Not trying to burst your bubble...

This sounds like a nice and up-spirits thread, thats all fine and good... BUT I hope you guys realize that you may not find a job at all or make enough money to live a comfortable life there.

I'm not by any means trying to burst your bubble, but if you do some research on this board alone, you will find that usually is better to bring your own work (not look for one there) or stablish some sort of business yourself. It is best if you are self-employed.

These are my dos centavos, just a word of caution...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Good luck with the move

I was wondering what type/genre of music you produce? And if you plan on continuing your production in Bavaro?

I ask because I too have a recording studio but have not thought about bringing it to Santiago.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast