Arrival and Departure Tax

jon8058

Sep 7, 2004
Hi all

i travel to Punta Cana on Monday from England for 2 weeks and was wondering if anyone could tell me what the arrival and departure tax was.

Thanks

Jon

Listerrose

May 31, 2004
jon8058 said:
Hi all

i travel to Punta Cana on Monday from England for 2 weeks and was wondering if anyone could tell me what the arrival and departure tax was.

Thanks

Jon

10USD on arrival for touist card - assuming you haven't bought from emmbasy in London already.

20USD on departure - once you've checked in your bags etc you pay this (cash only) before heading through to departures.

Have a great time!

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
I heard about the $20 to leave but I never had to pay it. when did it go into effect actually?

Listerrose

May 31, 2004
Talldrink said:
I heard about the $20 to leave but I never had to pay it. when did it go into effect actually?

It was in effect in Aug 1998, Sept 1999 & Oct 2000 when I visited - my tour operator says it is still applicable.

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
Talldrink said:
is it only for non-dominicans then? My kids never paid it either....

I think it depends on your nationality. I'm Jamaican and I haven't had to pay it.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Actually

the Departure tax was $10 US pp up until July 2001 when "His Baldness" raised it to $20US pp just before the rush to Santo Domingo for the Pan American Games.

Gregg

BigCity27

Mar 4, 2004
If you fly on a charter the departure taxes are usually included in the package. If you fly a commercial airline (i.e. CO, AA) you have to pay the $20 departure tax. At least that's how it was explained to me at POP & PUJ Airports.

Listerrose

May 31, 2004
I'm not 100% sure but I think it depends on the deal struck by the airline. We travel charter (First Choice Airways) from the UK and get charged $20.00 on departure.

bienvenido

Sep 5, 2004
Check your airline ticket. I believe arrival and departure tax might be included or at least the departure tax. Check with your airlines.

jon8058 said:
Hi all

Thanks

Jon

Dec 9, 2002
Check your airline ticket. I believe arrival and departure tax might be included or at least the departure tax. Check with your airlines.
No need to check your ticket, or phone the airline. Travelling from England neither tourist card nor departure tax and included. You will need $US10 per person on arrival, and $US20 per person on departure.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Here's a relatively comprehensive post which explains Entry and Exit costs for tourists - to the extent it is explicable.

Please, I know someone is going to want to say "That's not the way it was for us!" That's OK - these are the norms and are not meant to explain ALL SITUATIONS.

OK, here's the deal on entry and exit particulars, as I understand them:

Barring an error or a shakedown (this is the DR remember) EVERYONE from EVERY destination pays $10US or equivalent per person for a Tourist Card ( www.polaris-fs.com/images/TouristCard.jpg ) and EVERYONE from EVERY destination pays $20US per person for the Dominican Exit Tax (was $10US until July 2001 when it was increased).

Now this is where it gets confusing:

1) Most if not all Canadian Tour Operators INCLUDE the Tourist card in the price of the package vacation and DO NOT INCLUDE the price of the Exit Tax.

2) Most SCHEDULED US Air Carriers (like AA, e.g.) DO NOT INCLUDE the Tourist Card but DO INCLUDE the Exit Tax in the purchase price of the airline ticket whether the flight is or is not included in the vacation package price. I am not certain of the practice at the various US charter airlines.

3) Most British Tour Operators INCLUDE NIETHER the Tourist card nor the Exit Tax in their Package prices.

There is no uniformity in where, when and to whom the various charges are paid but be certain - they are being paid.

Your T/A should be able to set you straight as to the particulars for your situation. If they can't - reconsider your choice of T/A.

Gregg

GuRu

Apr 22, 2003
Last year in may I paid 10 USD to get in and nothing to get out (only stayed 20 days)
This year in may I paid 10 USD to get in and 10 USD to get out (because I stayed one month and a tourist card is only good for three weeks, that's what they told me in SDQ)
Never heard about the 20 USD before (lucky me ;) )

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
GuRu said:
Last year in may I paid 10 USD to get in and nothing to get out (only stayed 20 days)
This year in may I paid 10 USD to get in and 10 USD to get out (because I stayed one month and a tourist card is only good for three weeks, that's what they told me in SDQ)
Never heard about the 20 USD before (lucky me ;) )

You got taken for the one month stay since the 16-90 day rate (exceeding the 15 day tourist card limit) is RD$64 or about US$1.50. RD$400 or so ($10 US) would cover a year or more. There is a sign at the airports nowhere near the actual booth that collects the fee but if you overstay 15 days find the sign first and be prepared to point it out to the person asking for ten bucks.