American new to SD Help!!

usa4real

Sep 14, 2004
I don?t speak Spanish at all (although i look like a local).
I need to know my options on learning Spanish.
Where to meet English speaking locals and expats.
Where i can get a decent Long Island Ice Tea.
Etc...Please help.
usa4real@postmaster.co.uk

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
In Santo Domingo, you can painlessly learn Spanish and meet people at Dominico-Americano school, which is on Ave Lincoln about 3 blocks from the Malecon. Easy to get to, and relatively inexpensive. You need a copy of your high school or college graduation proof probably. (i know, I know)

Tele: 535-0665 ext 245 or 246. (Just say "Habla English?" and they will have someone that you can speak with.) They have evening classes for adults, and multiple levels from beginning to advanced. Relatively low cost as well.

usa4real

Sep 14, 2004
Thanks

Thanks i will be starting school there on the 27th this month.Any idea where i could go for recreation (Bar,Disco,etc..) with English speaking company?

Frankly, i am surprised i haven?t met any Dominicans fro New York or Miami yet.

GringoCArlos said:
In Santo Domingo, you can painlessly learn Spanish and meet people at Dominico-Americano school, which is on Ave Lincoln about 3 blocks from the Malecon. Easy to get to, and relatively inexpensive. You need a copy of your high school or college graduation proof probably. (i know, I know)

Tele: 535-0665 ext 245 or 246. (Just say "Habla English?" and they will have someone that you can speak with.) They have evening classes for adults, and multiple levels from beginning to advanced. Relatively low cost as well.

usa4real

Sep 14, 2004
Thanks

Does that mean "a cold beer please"? I found a half decent L.I.T. at Champions in the la Jaguar (unsure of spelling) hotel.I still seek the perfect cocktail bar in Santo Domingo and more...

Feel free to respond to my reply to GringoCarlos with your witty charm.

Thanks.

juanita said:
;) Forget about the Long Island Ice Tea....now you have to learn how to say: "una friiiiiiiaaa por favor"

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
usa4real said:
Does that mean "a cold beer please"? I found a half decent L.I.T. at Champions in the la Jaguar (unsure of spelling) hotel.I still seek the perfect cocktail bar in Santo Domingo and more...

Feel free to respond to my reply to GringoCarlos with your witty charm.

Thanks.

mmmm...you're still hooked on that cocktail thing! Well than you should try places like Taboo Bamboo on Roberto Pastoriza, Praia on Gustavo Mejia Ricart, Seven to Seven on the Malecon..etc..

or check out www.uepa.com or www.loquepasa.com to get a taste for it! ;)

Welcome to Santo Domingo!

usa4real

Sep 14, 2004
Thanks again

Thanks again! Your a real pal!! Have a great weekend and feel free to stay in touch. usa4real@postmaster.co.uk

juanita said:
mmmm...you're still hooked on that cocktail thing! Well than you should try places like Taboo Bamboo on Roberto Pastoriza, Praia on Gustavo Mejia Ricart, Seven to Seven on the Malecon..etc..

or check out www.uepa.com or www.loquepasa.com to get a taste for it! ;)

Welcome to Santo Domingo!