How can a Dominican go live in Europe or Canada?

colibri

Sep 15, 2004
Here is the situation.
I'm European, but I live in the DR (I have the residency). I would like to go back to Europe or go to Canada (as soon as I find a job there). The problem is, I want my Dominican boyfriend to go with me. So I was wondering what would be the easiest way for him to get a visa to live in Europe (or in Canada).
He already got a tourist visa last year and spent 2 weeks in Europe.
Could he go on a tourist visa and then look for a job there? Or should we get married (here or there), etc.
Does anyone know about the visa that allows someone to just go live with their companion, or about the visa that allows the person to go get married in Europe ?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Click here for Canada's rules for a visitor's visa. You need to immigrate here even if you're from Europe. Click here for immigration laws.

It might be easier for you to go back to Europe.
Good luck

Last edited:

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
I have to echo Anna's thoughts - unless he is pretty well -heeled and has a lot of assets etc., in the DR, he won't obtain a tourist visa to Canada period.

colibri

Sep 15, 2004
Thank you for the information. I didn't know it was that hard to go to Canada. My sister lives in Montreal and got the residence pretty easily. But we are French-speaking, so I guess it helps when you want to go to Quebec.

But I was thinking that if I found an employer there in Quebec who is ready to sponsor me for the papers, my boyfriend could come with me... But I don't know if it works that way...

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Not even if he's your husband!

He'd have to apply himself (as his citizenship is Dominican and he's not a dependent) and ALL the rules would still apply..........in other words (plain English) he hasn't a hope in he--!

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
MommC said:
He'd have to apply himself (as his citizenship is Dominican and he's not a dependent) and ALL the rules would still apply..........in other words (plain English) he hasn't a hope in he--!

Although these naysayers are not wrong, do not let their negativity get you down. Have your boy friend apply; at worst he will be out a little cash.

colibri

Sep 15, 2004
bob saunders said:
Although these naysayers are not wrong, do not let their negativity get you down. Have your boy friend apply; at worst he will be out a little cash.

I am sure there's a way ;o))
But I'll probably try with Europe, it will be easier. At least I won't have any problems to go there!
I have another question. I know there are different visas to go to Europe for a longer period, and I was told that in Germany, you cannot get married with the person if she/he is there on a tourist visa (the person needs a special visa to get married there). Is it true for all European countries?

swake

Oct 27, 2002
colibri said:
I am sure there's a way ;o))
But I'll probably try with Europe, it will be easier. At least I won't have any problems to go there!
I have another question. I know there are different visas to go to Europe for a longer period, and I was told that in Germany, you cannot get married with the person if she/he is there on a tourist visa (the person needs a special visa to get married there). Is it true for all European countries?
No, definitely not. Allthough EU governments try to work out a common asylum/immigration policy, you will have to check with your country's administration on what legal basis marriage with a non-EU citizen can take place. Most countries will allow marriage but in order to apply for immigration status, the newly wed will be required to leave the territory.

bienvenido

Sep 5, 2004
immigration to 1st World Coountries, i.e., UE, EU, CN... CN...

fOR ALL OF YOU WHO TALKS ABOUT IMMIGRATION, I want to let you know that today immigration policies of most developed countries, particularly canada , EU, UE, is based in family reunification. FKor instance, if you a native or citizen of one of this countries and married a foreigners, Immigration services should facilitate family reunification by all mean possibles. This is a fact that affect also human rights as well. This is affected , of course, by affidavit of support and economy status, ect... such as your job or something that can prove that you can support your family. For example , US immigration law allow US citizen to adjust the status of visitors married to US citizens, that is, and most likely he/she do not have to leave the country until case is decide. All others countries should follow the same rules. You check out.

Welcome.

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
bienvenido said:
such a separation should not be longer than 3 motns provided that everything is in order. next time I will charge for my time and knowledge.

Really? How the law reads and what happens in reality are two different things. Do you personally know anyone that arrived in Canada after three months of submitting all the right documents?

bienvenido

Sep 5, 2004
IMMIGRATION TO 1ST wORLD COUNTRIES.

I DO NOT KNOW THE CANADIAN LAW. I DO KNOW THAT CANADA IS A COUINTRY OF IMMIGRATION AND THEIR LAW SHOULD FACILITATE FAMILY REUNIFICATION AS WELL, OTHERWISE, THEY WOULDN?T BE THE 2ND LARGEST COUNTRY OF IMMIGRATION, AFTER THE US, FOLLOWED BY AUSTRALIA AND EUROPE.

Last edited:

bienvenido

Sep 5, 2004
Immigration Law Us

Absolutely wrong. US law allow newly wed to stay provided they have a visitor visa. Immigrataion officials and foreing services pesonnel will tell you otherwise, particularly if you married someone from a third world country or he is poor and uneducated. Even lawyers will tell you otherwise..$$$. But I did my own researches and got what I wanted; two moths later my wife had a residence card. And you right, every case is different but the fact that they have to help you and do everything possible is a fact of immigration law/ international law. Consulate officials do not issue immigration visa, they make sure every thing is in order. The respective immigration department of the receiving countries have the final word regarding every case. Remember nobody wants more immigrants in their countries. We do not want Haitian, US do not want more Dominican and so on.

Last edited:

milosh

Nov 9, 2004
from which country you're and to which you wanna go? easiest way for you is to marry him. some countries [sweden, belgium, holland, ..] even accept when you live unmarried. if you are married to him and you have residency in some other EU country he'd get his as a family member of EU citizen's family.

no special visas and licenses to marry in germany. i know even illegals who married and received residencies with no problem.

although EU has some common laws, immigration policy is still individual for each country.

if you need more infos, tell me. i'm experienced with living in europe... different countries and various immigration statuses.

germish

Oct 22, 2004
I'm originally from Quebec but haven't lived ther in over 8 years. On my trip to the DR in April I met a Quebecer who had a girlfriend in the DR that he wanted to bring to Canada to live with him. I'm not sure what the procedure was, but they intended to get married and he told me that after a 3 month waiting period he was successful in bringing his girlfiend home with him.

Quebec becomes advantageous when the applicant is applying to emigrate to Quebec and when that applicant himself/herself is from a French speaking nation (i.e: Haitians and Africans from former French colonies are more welcome than Jamaicans or Dominicans). The fact the the original poster is from a French speaking European nation is irrelevant. Her Bo must be applying to live there on his own and he must be French speaking to take advantage of that province's unique immigration rules.

germish

Oct 22, 2004
Pib said:
I don't think so. You are looking for the word 'beau'. ;)

No, definitely Bo. You are thinking of the Quebec/Canadian spelling. "Bo" as in short for BOyfriend. In modern pop culture another term is "Boo".

Merci pareil.

stormer

Apr 27, 2004
Nice!!!

Ben Dover said:
No, definitely Bo. You are thinking of the Quebec/Canadian spelling. "Bo" as in short for BOyfriend. In modern pop culture another term is "Boo".

Merci pareil.

Glad to see that someone else knows the "terms"........boo is like the word of the moment.......excellent! You rock Ben Dover!!!

colibri

Sep 15, 2004
I was the original poster of this thread... that was a long time ago (time flies)!!!

I have started the procedure to go to Quebec. My boyfriend and I don't have to be married. In Qu?bec, people that have lived together for more than one year are considered "conjoints" and can apply for the residency together as a couple, just like married people. Since I am French-speaking (from Belgium) and have family there, I have more chance to be accepted than him, but if they accept me, he will be accepted too!!! Now this procedure is very long. It can take up to two years I think. So we might go to Belgium first and get married there so he can stay (I'm just really tired of the Dom. Rep...) with me until we get the papers for Qu?bec.

We'll see if it works!!!