For all you nosey people....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
I just had to set the record straight after after checking in with DR1 after almost a month and getting a good laugh over the fact that people spend time talking about what others are doing. Anna I don't mean you or the others who were wondering about my wellbeing and I thank you for that. Dawnwil thanks for offering to share my life on a message board despite the fact that you don't even know me. Sure you have seen me but I don't believe we have ever had a conversation???

Anyway, I did NOT move to the DR to live with my boyfriend. I had a relationship in the past with a Dominican (as you are all aware) and that ended before I ever moved here. I moved to this country to have a different experience in life and to take a break from my life back in my own country. I am having a great time and don't plan on going home any time soon!!!

Those of you who are my friends can feel free to PM and I would be happy to share more details however I rarely check in on DR1 since it has turned into a gossip board so be patient with my responses.

FM

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I'm glad to hear that you're ok and having a good life there.

All the best to you

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Fiesta Mama said:
I rarely check in on DR1 since it has turned into a gossip board...

FM

[snip]Delete[/snip]

Do you ever write a post and end up deleting it as it really isn't worth the effort?

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
if you rarely log onto DR1, then it would make no sense for anyone to PM you.

you may want them to email you

just a thought

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
Fiesta Mama said:
I just had to set the record straight after after checking in with DR1 after almost a month and getting a good laugh over the fact that people spend time talking about what others are doing. Anna I don't mean you or the others who were wondering about my wellbeing and I thank you for that. Dawnwil thanks for offering to share my life on a message board despite the fact that you don't even know me. Sure you have seen me but I don't believe we have ever had a conversation???

Anyway, I did NOT move to the DR to live with my boyfriend. I had a relationship in the past with a Dominican (as you are all aware) and that ended before I ever moved here. I moved to this country to have a different experience in life and to take a break from my life back in my own country. I am having a great time and don't plan on going home any time soon!!!

Those of you who are my friends can feel free to PM and I would be happy to share more details however I rarely check in on DR1 since it has turned into a gossip board so be patient with my responses.

FM

Words on a message board can be cheap-- it's easy to paint any picture a person wishes. I have zero interest in gossiping. Most people in this Peyton Place expend much more energy doing so and are much better at it than me.

You have given a false impression of my purpose in speaking up, so I shall set the record straight as well.

FM, let's just say that not too long ago, while you painted a rosy picture here on DR1, you painted a different one in real life. One day in Rocky's, I logged into DR1 moments after you posted a glowing report about your life in Sosua, while your words to anyone who would listen around you were anything but. I couldn't believe the juxtaposition. You seemed in the depths of depression from what I saw and heard on more than one occasion. I am a writer, I listen and observe. You left others exhausted by your negativity. I sincerely hope things are better for you now!

I wished to convey one message only. It troubled me to see others jumping on the bandwagon and offering blind support when they know a person, any person, ONLY by words on a message board.

Especially given the problem here with Sankies and deluded women believing their situation is different. Or 'special', 'true love', etc etc ad nauseum. I live here now, and the truth is this: those women don't need any more false bravado or hopes than they already carry. They need a strong and harsh dose of reality. Those who jump in and blindly cheerlead have no idea how they might be leading a poor deluded soul down the garden path with false hopes.

So, "to share your life", as you put it, was certainly not my interest; I find the idea repulsive. I would like to say, however, that in the past, you did so quite thoroughly yourself.

You are right on two counts, my conversations with you have been extremely limited. I chose not to be drawn into the negativity. It's much too tiring. I remember only one brief talk... you spoke about how bored you were here; I asked you how you could be bored here, and you said it was different for me because I had my work here. I told you I believed boredom was a state of mind. End of conversation.

And, it's also true: I have no idea how things have been going for you the past few weeks here; I hope better than your first few weeks.

I wish you well and hope you find happiness in this country. Whatever it is you're searching for, there is only one place to find it: inside yourself. Be at peace with yourself and you will no longer be concerned about how others perceive you. When you are no longer concerned, others will see the 'you' that you try so hard to convey now.

Peace!
Dawn

PS Reply as you will; I will not be responding.

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
correction!

dawnwil said:
Most people in this Peyton Place expend much more energy doing so and are much better at it than me.

By 'Peyton Place' I meant real life Sosua. Not DR1. :)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Very well written response Ms. Dawnwil. Now why can't I write like her?
I do agree that happiness and peace is a state of mind. I also believe that happiness becomes an easier achievement when a little bronge statue of a dog is sold for 15 thousand dollars. Hehehehehe, Oh Dawn, you have it so easy. i wish if I were as talented as you are.
See you tomorrow. I will have a little envolope for you to deliver to scott in NY.
AZB

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Dawn now don't get upset with me but I'm honestly trying to find the thread/post where she paints a rosy picture about living in the DR.

July 12 -2004
Fiesta Mama said:
Well Diablo I am currently living in Sosua and just did exactly what you are considering. I am from Canada and moved here two weeks ago and I basically did it on a whim. I had been to the area many times and I had had it with my job. I came alone and basically knew no one outside of a few acquaintances. I have not been here long enough to tell you whether I made the right decision but so far so good. It took me about a week to find an apartment and I totally lucked out finding one for 4,000 pesos/month (aprox. $85 U.S.) with 24 hour electricity and it's in El Batey (basically in the center of Sosua within walking distance to everything). However, from people I spoke to and from my search for an apartment, it is hard to find something for less than $200 - $300 U.S./month. As for finding a job, it's very very hard. This is not a country where you can apply for something from abroad - it takes hard work and dedication to find something worth working at. Although you will read many times on this board that moving here is not like coming on holidays, you can't even imagine until you are here. I have to admit that I have felt a little homesick at times but I am feeling much better every day. Yes I am living in paradise but there are just so many things that are culturally different from home that it's all a little overwhelming at first. Making friends here is easy so don't worry about that. My view of picking up your life and moving here is this - worst case scenario is that if you come and don't like it after 4 months or so, you can always go home and will have had a wonderful experience in the meantime. Life is short - live it.

I'm good at finding threads and posts. ;)

couple were about getting a ride to the north after she landed then about not eating shell fish, then about some lady hunting her down.

Can you please find that thread where she paints this rosy picture about living in the DR?

Thanks

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Anna Coniglio said:
Dawn now don't get upset with me but I'm honestly trying to find the thread/post where she paints a rosy picture about living in the DR.

In this thread...

I am having a great time and don't plan on going home any time soon!!!

I can see the direction this is going.

Nice post dawnwil ;)

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.