shopping for furniture???

sunshine1

Aug 24, 2004
Hi everyone! I have spent time on the net looking for places in Santiago for furniture for my new home in sosua. I have read about LA EPOCA and EL ENCANTO. Does anyone know anything about these two places. We need everything!!! Other places greatly APPRECIATED THKS. We want fairly nice furniture at reasonable prices.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
sunshine1 said:
Hi everyone! I have spent time on the net looking for places in Santiago for furniture for my new home in sosua. I have read about LA EPOCA and EL ENCANTO. Does anyone know anything about these two places. We need everything!!! Other places greatly APPRECIATED THKS. We want fairly nice furniture at reasonable prices.

There is a large store next to Kelvins car wash in Santiago, nice prices.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There are a couple of factories in Santiago that make very nice rattan furniture. The one we use is Artesania Rattan, C por A. They have a showroom and photo albums, but you can also wander through the factory and look at the large number of pieces waiting for finishing. If you see something you like but would like it modified, they will make the changes. If you have pictures of pieces you would like, they will make them for you. They deliver at no charge to you, and guarantee their furniture.

Call 971-6440 and ask for Yolanda. She speaks good English.

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
Find "Ken" on this board and PM him

I don't remember the name of the place he refered us to but we bought a lot of stuff there and we are quite happy with it.

Oh, never mind, I see Ken found you.

sunshine1

Aug 24, 2004
Ken said:
There are a couple of factories in Santiago that make very nice rattan furniture. The one we use is Artesania Rattan, C por A. They have a showroom and photo albums, but you can also wander through the factory and look at the large number of pieces waiting for finishing. If you see something you like but would like it modified, they will make the changes. If you have pictures of pieces you would like, they will make them for you. They deliver at no charge to you, and guarantee their furniture.

Call 971-6440 and ask for Yolanda. She speaks good English.
Thks so much for your info. We will go there.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There is a nice furniture store up the street from me, MENDEZ

on Av Metropolitana. In Santiago.

There is also Mimbre y Rattan in Navarette. Run by Tito Bueno and his wife.

We have furniture from both places (Artesan?a and Mimbre y Rattan) and they are excellent. No problem with English.

HB :D

Email for information: mimbre.rattan.nav@verizon.net.do

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I've seen the work they do at the place in Navarette people talk about and it is impressive.

Since I'm in the middle of furnishing my house I let you know what I have done:

I got a living room set made of bamboo from the side of the road on Autopista Duarte for about 150 bucks, had it specially stained a little darker than the blonde bamboo so it would look "different" then I drove up the road to la Cumbre and bought a big flat rock for a table-top.

The more you shop those little roadside places on the way to SD the more you want to just go crazy with the whole "Tipico" theme, but to mix things up I'm getting a bedroom set from Hache, it looks like they may be getting some stuff in from Ikea. It's not exactly cheap, but it is cheaper than buying abroad and shipping yourself.

La Sirena (Pola) has some pretty inexpensive furniture as well, got a few pieces there, and found some nice curtains there as well.

For your electro-domestics you should shop around, Nedoca, Samsung and LG appliances seem to hold up well here and you should compare pricing between PriceSmart, Plaza Lama and Dist. Corripio, as well as La Sirena, El Encanto etc.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
sunshine1 said:

Check out this furniture store in La Union, just before the Puerto Plata Airport on the left hand side. It is on the first floor of the apartment buildings to the right in the front. Call 589-0146 and ask for either Mercedes or Rafeal (Rafeal speaks English) and mention that Scotty sent you there; I am a partner in this place. The show room is small but we can design and build anything you wish for.

Good luck

Scotty

Last edited:

Heather Byle

Oct 10, 2007
Found a Great place right in Sosua

HI WE just bought a place in Sosua as well. I myself have been going crazy to find websites for furniture. But just the other day I found this great place called Advecin Furniture Home and Design. I called the man . His name is Tommy and he speaks good English. He sent me a bunch of pictures of stuff. He is very nice and professional. WE ordered the entire bedroom set and he will have it delivered right to our new place when we are in town. Also They are located right in Sosua. But he is great.!!!! He will help if you need painting, or construstion work. Its a nice site. This will save us alot of running around and with the language barrier and all. They have people who do everthing from Kirtons to sinks and titles. etc etc. He even called me back long distance. So punch up the site or call 809 571-4022. Good luck !!!!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
HI WE just bought a place in Sosua as well. I myself have been going crazy to find websites for furniture. But just the other day I found this great place called Advecin Furniture Home and Design. I called the man . His name is Tommy and he speaks good English. He sent me a bunch of pictures of stuff. He is very nice and professional. WE ordered the entire bedroom set and he will have it delivered right to our new place when we are in town. Also They are located right in Sosua. But he is great.!!!! He will help if you need painting, or construstion work. Its a nice site. This will save us alot of running around and with the language barrier and all. They have people who do everthing from Kirtons to sinks and titles. etc etc. He even called me back long distance. So punch up the site or call 809 571-4022. Good luck !!!!
How do you know that the products are good, if you have not received them yet?

Heather Byle

Oct 10, 2007
I HAVE FRIENDS who told us and they have a set from him

Hi To answer your question. I dont know for sure, but we have friends whom live in Sosua full time and they said he is very honest and they also have a set from him. But I found him myslef on the internet. So check out the site and use your own judgement of course.

Heather Byle

Oct 10, 2007
Answer to question Here

HI There Just so everyone knows I wrote last week about the man we found in Sosua who can have all the funiture made.
Well first of all I called our Lawyer Gudio Perdomo and he said this man is very honest. Also here is his website.
Home: Advicen
His name is Tommy Anderson. Check out his site, He has wonderful stuff and we are so excited as we dont have to run all around to get a bedroom set now, as when we get in town we still have alot to get, but we also want vacation time as well.
But I will let you know how it all come out when we get it. We are going In jan for the month and I will be back in Mid Feb and I will post another post about how it all come out.
But I feel very good about this. Check out the site.
Now does anyone know about Big carpets ( Area rugs) Also what about Giant mirrors for the walls. Do they have them in Sousa ?????

Heather Byle

Oct 10, 2007
How do you know that the products are good, if you have not received them yet?

Our lawyer told us he is very honest. Our lawyers name is Gudio Perdomo in Sosua. Also here is his website
He is a very nice man His name is Tommy Anderson
Check it out, but now when we get in town for our vaction our stuff will be ready and we dont have to run around for a bedroom set.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Our lawyer told us he is very honest. Our lawyers name is Gudio Perdomo in Sosua. Also here is his website
He is a very nice man His name is Tommy Anderson
Check it out, but now when we get in town for our vaction our stuff will be ready and we dont have to run around for a bedroom set.
I like Guido too, but I would still want to have the furniture in hand, before making recommendations to others, with a follow up 6 or 12 months later, talking about durability.

james

Jan 14, 2002
There is a brand new place on the highway leaving Sosua just as you pass the El Choco road. I do not remember the name. They have some GREAT furniture and area rugs as well. I was there about 5 days ago. Quality stuff, not cheap.

richanddiane

Nov 18, 2007
Furniture Shopping in Santiago

I was wondering if you could give us some feedback on your furniture shopping trip in Santiago. We will be traveling to Santiago to purchase furniture for a condo in Samana and could use some feedback on best places to buy?? We are also looking for nice furniture at a good/fair price.

Thanks!!

N

naturelover

im not sure that there is any ..........its either expensive or rubbish

nsdr

Bronze
Feb 1, 2007
furniture

La Sirena in Santiago has great natural fibre rugs. Ochoa had the best appliance selection for us. We have bought rattan in Los Charimicos in Sosua and were very happy. The small place on the right hand side of the road going towards the airport. The big one on the left charges twice as much.

nsdr

Bronze
Feb 1, 2007
furniture

More expensive furniture. The Ochoa home store (a different store that the big Ochoa hardware store) in the International Plaza in Santiago has beautiful upscale furniture. Hache has good stuff as well.