Living in the DR

Metalana

Sep 15, 2004
Hello, I'm new here, I found this website by coincidence, but I think it might help me.

I live in Holland and I'm 17 years old, but I want to live in the DR. I know what I want, and I know I have to wait 5 more years (I'll have to finish my education here first), but then I want to be a hotelmanager and work and live in the DR.
I've always felt like Holland isn't the right country for me, and when I went to the Dominican Republic for the first time, 4 years ago, it felt like coming home. The whole atmosphere feels so much better to me than in Holland. I've been in the DR 4 times now, and the more I see, the more I love the country. I already started to learn Spanish, in my school they don't teach Spanish, so I'm having classes in the evening, for 2 years already.
Of course I know it will be difficult for me to be all by myself in a foreign country, and everybody over here thinks I'm crazy and they don't understand, but it's just the way I feel and I'm determined to do what I want!

I was hoping that there are people here that do understand me, and that can tell me something about how it is to live in the DR.
I'm jealous of all you people! Everytime I have to go back to Holland when I'm in the DR, I have to cry and I think: O no! We're going the wrong way!

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Metalana said:
Hello, I'm new here, I found this website by coincidence, but I think it might help me.

I live in Holland and I'm 17 years old, but I want to live in the DR. I know what I want, and I know I have to wait 5 more years (I'll have to finish my education here first), but then I want to be a hotelmanager and work and live in the DR.
I've always felt like Holland isn't the right country for me, and when I went to the Dominican Republic for the first time, 4 years ago, it felt like coming home. The whole atmosphere feels so much better to me than in Holland. I've been in the DR 4 times now, and the more I see, the more I love the country. I already started to learn Spanish, in my school they don't teach Spanish, so I'm having classes in the evening, for 2 years already.
Of course I know it will be difficult for me to be all by myself in a foreign country, and everybody over here thinks I'm crazy and they don't understand, but it's just the way I feel and I'm determined to do what I want!

I was hoping that there are people here that do understand me, and that can tell me something about how it is to live in the DR.
I'm jealous of all you people! Everytime I have to go back to Holland when I'm in the DR, I have to cry and I think: O no! We're going the wrong way!

Well, I think you are on the right track. You are willing to wait five more years and finish your education in Holland, you know what your profession wil be and you have been taking Spanish for two years. By the time you move to the DR you will be trilingual, since you also seem to have a very good command of the English language, and you have visited the country four times and like it! All that is left for me to say is congratulations and good luck. Do follow your dreams! You have youth, health and plenty of time to undertake this adventure that we call life.

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Metalana, the best way to find out about living in the DR is to continue to read this message board. Many of us live in the DR, my wife and I have been here for 18 years, and many others have vacationed here and are now thinking of moving to the DR either now or in the future. You can learn a lot from reading the questions and answers, and from asking your own questions.

Welcome to the board, I hope you will become a regular. You have questions, but you also have information to give others because of your past visits here.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hola Metalana,

Greetings from Atlantic Canada.

One of the assistant managers at Riu Mambo in Puerto Plata is Dutch and she began as an apprentice on a work program, I believe.

I will PM you with her name and e-mail address and she might be able to give you some advice.

Good luck.

Gregg

Metalana

Sep 15, 2004
Thank you :D
Finally, people who understand me! Over here there are many people that don't think I'm serious about my plans. But I am, I think there are more important things than materialistic stuff, I don't need much so that'll be fine.

Juancarlos, thank you, and yes, I'm SO motivated to learn Spanish and everything else that I have to do. Indeed I already speak Dutch (of course :p), English and German. French and Spanish are more difficult, because I can't practise that much over here. But the last time I went to the DR, I talked a lot to all the bartenders, in Spanish, about how it is to live in the DR, and I had some friends from Spain, so I could talk Spanish a lot and I noticed that it became easier for me, in only two weeks!!

Ken, I will most definitely stay on this board, this is the first time that I found something on the internet, that could actually help me! :D

FireGuy, wowww, I should've known that before! I was in Riu Mambo like 2 weeks ago!! Well, we stayed at Riu Bachata, but I went to Mambo as well. I noticed that there are a lot of managers that come from Germany, so Holland won't be a problem either, and now it turned out that I'm right :p
I wish I knew that before, I would've loved to talk to her, and I'd be very glad to be able to send an email to her.

Bye for now, but I'll be here later!! :D

Spirit7

Aug 26, 2004
Hi Metalana! Hope your plans don't change!

You know, when you are 17 you have so much yet to learn and experience that your thinking may vary many times in the next few years. Hopefully you will stay focused on this dream and it will come thru for your benefit and the DR's since we need the input of many foreign, educated people to perhaps allow us to slowly change for the better over the next few generations.

I'm curious why exactly, at 17, you are so set on moving to adapt to a new culture while thinking that your own is inadequate for you. What is it about the DR that appeals to you so much to make such a move? And what do you find so negative about beatiful Holland with its beautiful people? It would be nice to hear your particular views, if it's not intruding.

I am a Dominican (55 going on 17!) that lived in the US for 30 years and Europe for 4 (I really enjoyed visiting Holland, by the way--I like bike-riding and, of course, yours is the only country so dedicated to the bicycle) and
have been lucky to adapt back to my country's ways in spite of so many negatives that make life difficult here.

Best Wishes!

britishgirl

Aug 28, 2004
Metalana said:

Hey, firstly I want 2 say that I can totally relate to how u feel. When I first went to the DR. I was like "hey i'm gonna move here in a few years" and i wish i could ,move here now but i am only a teenager. anyway now my dad wants to buy a place in Sosua anyway so i know thats it all the more likely that i am gonna move there.I totally beleive that you are gonna move there, i was so determined when i first went there-nobody out of family and friends beleived me of course! Everyone was like "oh yeah, yeah whatever, you'll change you're mind, you're just a young teenager!". I was like "no really, i will, wait and c." :classic: Just laugh if somebody doesnt beliive you, just think that you are the 1 that's gonna make it happen, noone else can make it happen for you.I know you will move there- you are determined and you are learning all these languages. I'm choosing my GCSE( exams) subjects soon. I'm taking 3 languages full course. it's gonna be hard not to get mixed up and confused doing the exams for spanish, french and welsh at the same time_but hey I bear in mind, I'm determined!!! ;)

Metalana

Sep 15, 2004
@Spirit7,
Yes, I know that I am only 17 years old. In fact, I turned 17 2 weeks ago, when I was in the DR. I thought it was a great start for a new year, with a lot of work to do! (Exams, learning Spanish, etc)
But, I don't think that I'm going to change my plans. I'm always very dedicated to what I do, and I don't give up that easily. I know it will be hard and that nothing's perfect.
Almost everybody in my class (final year, we really have to make choices now!) doesn't know what they want to do. I've known what I want for like 3 years now, and it didn't change much during those 3 years! Probably I won't live in the DR for my whole life, since I like changes, and I don't want to stay in the same place for the rest of my life, but maybe I don't ever want to leave when I get there.. That's the part of what I think "well, we'll just wait and see". I don't want to plan my life in advance.

It's not that black-and-white, that I love EVERYTHING about the DR, and that I hate EVERYTHING about Holland. Of course there are a lot of beautiful things here in Holland as well. I have a nice life here, I have my family, friends, my band, my guitars.. But it's just the whole atmoshpere in general, that I'm used to (of course, after 17 years :p), but which I don't think is the best for me. I feel like everybody is rushing all the time, people are more in their own small world and don't think about other people that much, just, self-absorbed. Not all people of course. I don't want to generalize anything.
In the DR in contrary, I like it that people are friendly and happy. Most people from Holland, or I think any rich country, wouldn't be happy when they would have to live in a small hut, in 'bad circomstances'. They're so materialistic. I try to be not like that.
I believe that I don't need much, I'm not a materialistic person. Just put me in a small hut at the beach, with my guitar, with a nice job and some friends, and that would be enough (for a while, I'm kinda strange, on one hand I don't think that I need much, but on the other hand I'm a perfectionist and I want a career and maybe even a family).
But I'm not a true philosopher so I'll shut up about that now. :p
And I'm happy for you that you could experience so many different cultures, that's my goal in life, first I want to see something of the world, and experience different cultures, and then I can DECIDE where I want to settle down. I don't think it's obvious that you stay in the same place where you were born. For most people that is quite obvious, but for me it isn't. And I don't think that changes when I get older, it's just in my personality.

@britishgirl,
I totally understand what you mean!! People don't take me seriously either, well, whatever! I know what I want and they'll just have to wait and see (it happen!!)
I love languages, and good luck with your exams..
In school we have to learn English, French, German, and I have to learn Latin as well. But then I wanted to learn Spanish, and now I can't speak French anymore because I don't practise that anymore and I always start speaking Spanish :S But actually, I don't have any problem with that, it's a good thing ;)
It's great that you're getting a place in Sos?a...
I hope to return to the DR next year, and now I'm getting older and my parents allow me to visit places with just friends (my parents are just there to rest and to lie on the beautiful beaches, but I want to see more)
This year I did some excursions with friends, and I went to Puerto Plata, and I love to see more of the culture, because the more I see, the more I love the DR!

That's enough for today, but I can go on an on about this...
I have two favorite subjects to talk about: music and this, what we're talking about here :D
And since I can talk about music a lot and about this hardly ever...
It all has to come out now :p

Any more questions? Most definitely welcome!! :D

Spirit7

Aug 26, 2004
Thanks Metalana

I understand your way of thinking and am impressed with how well a recently-turned 17 youth processes his thoughts and has well-defined dreams and goals. I wish you the best and will follow your posts here to see how things develop. Best Regards.

DON MIGUEL

Jan 4, 2003
Doe Zo Voort !

Hi Metalana,

I will say something in your language (Dutch) :

Ken jezelf en pas je droom hierbij aan.

Alles onstaat in een droom. Maak die droom waar !

Doch maak eerst je studies af. Dit is je ticket naar de toekomst !

All the best,
Don Miguel
Put a smile on your face and a spring in your step.

bienvenido

Sep 5, 2004
i am impressed

Metalana said:

Yes, there are people that understand you. But first get you a degree in the hospitality industry and hop on the first plane. We will be waiting for you with open arms. DR need young people like you. You will be an asset to this community. Bring all the knowledge you can bring, and if you think you need more time take it.

Metalana

Sep 15, 2004
@Spirit7, Thank you very much! :)

@britishgirl, Thank you too :)

@DON MIGUEL, Thank you as well, what you're saying in Dutch is so true! And do you really speak Dutch or did you use a translater? :D

@bienvenido, I'm glad that the DR is happy to see people like me coming to their country, at first I was a little bit anxious that people would see me as somebody that doesn't belong or fits in to their country, but after meeting so many Dominican people I'm not afraid of that anymore! :D
Dominican people are great!

See you all later :)

britishgirl

Aug 28, 2004
Metalana said:

@DON MIGUEL, Thank you as well, what you're saying in Dutch is so true! And do you really speak Dutch or did you use a translater? :D

@bienvenido, I'm glad that the DR is happy to see people like me coming to their country, at first I was a little bit anxious that people would see me as somebody that doesn't belong or fits in to their country, but after meeting so many Dominican people I'm not afraid of that anymore! :D

thanks.later! ;)

DON MIGUEL

Jan 4, 2003
Metalana said:

No Metalana, I did not use a transator because I am flemish belgian who lives in the Republica Dominicana and in the south of France (Provence)

Echt waar hoor !

Don Miguel
Caramba !

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Metalana said:

Well, first of all, Welcome in advance to my country!!

Most people feel at home here, I think its something in the air that just make people feel good here and of course, there is everything else that makes this country what it is. Maybe that is why Columbus was so "in love with this island" because he did not bragged about the other beautiful islands of the Caribbean as much as he bragged about this one.

Anyways,

you are 17 years old, you have a long way to go before setting foot here. The fact that you are young and interested in the country will be a plus, since it will give you time to learn more about the country and maybe becoming influential here either on a very localize level or national level (very unlikely for foreigners, but there are a few that are close to such position).

Just remember this about life in general: No body knows exactly what you want, except for yourself. No body will fully understand your reasons, ideas, or way of being better than your own self. You only know what you want and you are the only one responsible for making your own dreams come true. Others might help (or try to bring you down), but in the end it all falls on your efforts. If you truly want to move to the DR and be successful, don't cut yourself short by wishing. Wishing never yields anything, but acting to make your wish true always work.

Also, successful people are not normal folks, because if they were they would not have been successful. What am I trying to say with that? Well, don't worry too much about "fitting in" when you know that what you are doing will bring a nice reward in the end. For proof, look at every successful person in this world, none of them did "normal" things to get where they are today.

Good luck!

Metalana

Sep 15, 2004
DON MIGUEL said:
No Metalana, I did not use a transator because I am flemish belgian who lives in the Republica Dominicana and in the south of France (Provence)

Echt waar hoor !

Don Miguel
Caramba !

Okay, I understand! :D You live in two places at the same time??
Ik geloof je hoor!! :D

Metalana

Sep 15, 2004
Nal0whs said:
Well, first of all, Welcome in advance to my country!!

Most people feel at home here, I think its something in the air that just make people feel good here and of course, there is everything else that makes this country what it is. Maybe that is why Columbus was so "in love with this island" because he did not bragged about the other beautiful islands of the Caribbean as much as he bragged about this one.

Anyways,

you are 17 years old, you have a long way to go before setting foot here. The fact that you are young and interested in the country will be a plus, since it will give you time to learn more about the country and maybe becoming influential here either on a very localize level or national level (very unlikely for foreigners, but there are a few that are close to such position).

Just remember this about life in general: No body knows exactly what you want, except for yourself. No body will fully understand your reasons, ideas, or way of being better than your own self. You only know what you want and you are the only one responsible for making your own dreams come true. Others might help (or try to bring you down), but in the end it all falls on your efforts. If you truly want to move to the DR and be successful, don't cut yourself short by wishing. Wishing never yields anything, but acting to make your wish true always work.

Also, successful people are not normal folks, because if they were they would not have been successful. What am I trying to say with that? Well, don't worry too much about "fitting in" when you know that what you are doing will bring a nice reward in the end. For proof, look at every successful person in this world, none of them did "normal" things to get where they are today.

Good luck!

Thank you very much! That was just what I meant, you mustn't see 'fitting in' as in 'being the same', but feeling welcome and (a little bit) accepted in another country would help to really feel at home, because when you're on your own on the other side of the world without friends or family, I don't think that would make me happy either :p

I have no intention to be influential on a national level, I just want to know my way around in the area I'm going to live in. That would be really nice, over here I know a lot of people and people know me, I just want to have some friends and acquaintances around me :D

I'm working on my dreams right now!! (Learning Spanish, working a lot)

I hope you're right about successful people not being normal, because I'm not normal :p Maybe that'll help with being successful haha :D

Thanks!

abba23

Sep 30, 2004
Hey Matalana

I understand you totally. Cos its exactly the way I feel. I just recently visited the DR and I felt like I was home. It felt weird feeling like that and my brothers and sisters laughed at me but thats how I felt. Its an amazing place and the people are so happy and unmaterialistic. I live in England and I cannot have a good enough life without having money and lots of it. Its just the way it is and I really don't like living here. Its cold and wet and people are so stressed and depressed. DR was not like that Ive never met so many laid back people. My step dad moved over to Puerto Plata 2 1/2 years ago and the change in him is amazing he is really happy. So I am determined to move there as soon as possible. I have just graduated from university with a degree in Tourism Management and am also learning Spanish. My friends probably don't believe me that Im going but I am working hard to save up and maybe I will see you there! :)