New Family in DR

SLowman

Sep 9, 2004
Hey everyone,

My wife and I are considering a move from Florida to the northcoast to take up a couple of very good job offers. Since visiting the Puerto Plata area for a few days, I have spent considerable time reading on these message boards about all aspects of moving to the DR. I know, I know, I've read it before--we should visit several times to make sure this is the place for us; but, we don't have that luxury, as the company is in need of our highly-specialized services. You should also know that we are not strangers to living in the Caribbean, as we were in BVI for an extended period and are able to adapt very well to the different standards of living.

As far as I can tell from the many posts I have researched, it seems like a great place to live for a young person, or to retire if you have a relatively good retirement income. However, I have not seen much talk about the possibilities for a young (30&40yo) couple to come to the DR and start a family.

So, can we begin a dialogue about starting a family in the DR as an expat, and gringo children growing up in DR? What are the ways people deal with healthcare and childcare for the first 5 or so years? How about schooling and extra-curricular activities (sports, clubs, etc.)?

Kaizen68

Aug 25, 2004
go for it...!

SLowman said:
Hey everyone,

My wife and I are considering a move from Florida to the northcoast to take up a couple of very good job offers. Since visiting the Puerto Plata area for a few days, I have spent considerable time reading on these message boards about all aspects of moving to the DR. I know, I know, I've read it before--we should visit several times to make sure this is the place for us; but, we don't have that luxury, as the company is in need of our highly-specialized services. You should also know that we are not strangers to living in the Caribbean, as we were in BVI for an extended period and are able to adapt very well to the different standards of living.

As far as I can tell from the many posts I have researched, it seems like a great place to live for a young person, or to retire if you have a relatively good retirement income. However, I have not seen much talk about the possibilities for a young (30&40yo) couple to come to the DR and start a family.

So, can we begin a dialogue about starting a family in the DR as an expat, and gringo children growing up in DR? What are the ways people deal with healthcare and childcare for the first 5 or so years? How about schooling and extra-curricular activities (sports, clubs, etc.)?

Someone once said, "what the mind of man (or woman) can believe and conceive, it can achieve"

Bring extra patience and persistence, keep it simple.

..Buena Suerte

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
SLowman said:

I have a Dominican GF and I put her 6 and 8 year olds in a private bilingual school. Costs $250 a month.

Spirit7

Aug 26, 2004
Good Place to Bring Up Kids

The DR is a good place to bring up kids, especially if you can afford to give them a private education. You can have the ease of mind of having them well taken care of with maids, nannies or even drivers that are relatively inexpensive to hire.

The climate lends itself to be outdoors and doing sports or recreational activities instead of the closed up living in the northern climates (granted that not in Florida). The DR is very people-oriented and
although you will find plenty of bad apples, as anywhere else, most people
are very friendly and helpful making the DR still a good place to live in.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Spirit7 said:
The DR is a good place to bring up kids, especially if you can afford to give them a private education. You can have the ease of mind of having them well taken care of with maids, nannies or even drivers that are relatively inexpensive to hire.

I have a live in nanny/cook and it runs me $55 every two weeks.

SLowman

Sep 9, 2004
Thank you...

for all of your advice so far. We have many questions, and little time answering them. We will have to live near Cofresi or Costambar, on the northcoast.

Do you think it is better to live in one of the resort areas, or find a place outside of a resort?

Are there any schools in that area? And how do you go about finding live-in help?