Eye witness account of Hurricane Jeanne from San Pedro de Macoris

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
To say today is an eventful day is an understatement.

The sky was already dark with low-hanging clouds and raining moderately when I left for work this morning. As rain inensified, we decided to send the workers home at around 9:30am.

Starting around noon, gale-force wind has been howling non-stop until now. From my 4th floor apartment facing the coast, I could see debris flying in the air. A neighbor's signpost got blown down and fell on the pavement. The power went out at around 10am and hasn't returned yet. I'm using the generator now. When I checked with Santo Domingo this afternoon, I was told of heavy rain but little wind.

Here in San Pedro, however, both wind and rain have been strong, with wind sometimes intensifying with torrential rain. The whole apartment rattles with high-pitch swoosh as the wind blows through the tiny windowseals. This must be a excruciatingly slow-moving hurricane as I had never witnessed a hurricane that has lingered for 10 hours.

When I was on my way home this morning, I saw many fallen trees. Virtually all business had closed.

I fear for tomorrow when I show up for work to assess damage.

Any word from Santo Domingo and other parts of the country ? I'm surprised that wind is so strong here givien that the hurricane is cruising along the north coast.

Good lucky everybody !

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Thanks for taking the time to tell us about this. I'm in Cabarete and waiting.... I hope the damage isn't too great when you go into work in the morning. Stay safe everyone.

Linda

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Thanks for taking the time to update us Formosano2K & like Linda, I wish you well - personally & from the work front!!

It looks as though we on the north coast are going to be spared somewhat by the fact that Jeanne appears to be heading INland!!! A MOST peculiar track!! It also appears that Jeanne might hav split into teo, leaving part of itself over You & Puerto Rica, awaiting TD 12 boming across the Atlantic as we type!!! I suspect this is why you have an extended peiod of rain - as Puerto Rico is experiencing too!!

Stay safe & give us an update tomorrow please - Grahame.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
11:00 Pm

The 11:00 pm updates certainly DO NOT show Puerto Plata being spared. Looks like we will be getting the worst part of the storm sometime early am. Winds are still 70 mph and should go over Puerto Plata out to sea.

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
Todavia vivo !

Thanks for the good wishes. My apartment building and factory are both fine. We are worried though about some workers who live in flooded area. There will likely be more rain in the coming days. I just hope everybody will pull thorugh one way or another.

How are things on the North Coast now ?

BushBaby said:
Thanks for taking the time to update us Formosano2K & like Linda, I wish you well - personally & from the work front!!

Stay safe & give us an update tomorrow please - Grahame.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Formosano2000 said:
Thanks for the good wishes. My apartment building and factory are both fine. We are worried though about some workers who live in flooded area. There will likely be more rain in the coming days. I just hope everybody will pull thorugh one way or another.

How are things on the North Coast now ?

Quiet & relatively peaceful now Thank You!! Very breezy around 06.30 - 09.00 which slowly abated until about 11.30 when it had virually gone. Thought we were still in the EYE, but fortunately that had passed somewhere else, possibly just the other side of the mountain!!

Only damage here was two Cayenna bushes & 1 banana tree uprooted but MAY be salvagable. My prayes & wishes for the workers still not cantacted - You seem to have got it about the worst down there!! - Grahame.

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Gracias a Dios

I'm glad you are OK, likewise Grahame and Ginnie. I hope all your staff turn out to be safe and well.

A lot of trees and signs etc., are down in this area between Sosua and Cabarete, and the folks in the low lying barrios in Sabaneta and La Cienega are suffering with a lot of water, but it could have been a lot worse. I can't imagine what it would be like to be in a force 5....I hope we'll never find out.

Vaya con Dios.

Linda.

fforce

Sep 18, 2004
hello there.

My brother is somewhere on D.R. for holliday.
i'm trying to contact him but can't get him on his cellphone.

I hope everything is ok ..

Lets hope that communications are up soon ...